Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is the coolest (temperature/best ventilated) helmet?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 04:14 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

In your experience, what is the coolest (temperature/best ventilated) helmet? Does it provide adequate cooling in 90F and above temperatures and high humidity? Thanks.
Old 08-29-10, 05:20 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I own both a Giro Ionos and a Specialized Decibel (in my avatar), forerunner of the S-Works and Echelon helmets.

Both are very light, very well ventilated and come in white to reduce solar heating gain. They are both the coolest-riding helmets I've owned. Either one is fine, pick the one that fits best or has the best deal. (They're both breathtakingly expensive.)

Wait, there are differences.

If you attach a blinkie to your helmet, or occasionally like a visor, go with the Specialized. It comes with a visor and I found it easy to zip-tie a blinkie on the back.

If you ride in cold weather (not an issue in Louisiana, I know) go with the Giro. It has a fabric insert to reduce ventilation in cold weather.
Old 08-29-10, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Giro Hex is very good. I rode in July/August in N Florida and N Georgia with it. The scoops work. It also provides better (lower) protection around the sides/back of the head.

I've replaced it with the new Xen redesign. I wore the Hex innerds/suspension out. The Xen is the more expensive cousin or step-up from the Hex. It cools well, but not as well as the hex at lower speed. It too provides better protection.

The Xen has the best suspension strap system I've ever seen. The staps don't hit the sides of the head as much as typical helmets.

They are primarily mountain bike helmets. But the visors are removable. Both are more round than normal which supposedly is somewhat safer than the pointy shapes.

Al

Last edited by alcanoe; 08-29-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-29-10, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
From what I have been reading lately, it is the Catlike Whisper:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...57.2805.0.html

However, the price is *way* beyond what I will pay for a lump of styrofoam.
Old 08-29-10, 05:40 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride in AZ, in temps to 115, using a Trek Circuit, which is in the $100 range. It has nice adjustment features, and they have a replacement program. If you crash in the first year after purchase, they will replace the helmet - you just pay shipping to get the old one to them with a brief description of what happened.
Old 08-29-10, 05:56 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It's probably the Limar ultralight Pro 104 in white or sliver. It's the lightest helmet in the world (170g), has 22 large air vents, with insect netting across the front 7. The Catlike Whisper directs a lot of air at your head, but it doesn't have anywhere to go. With the Limar, it's more like the old "hairnet" helmet, with big stretches of open area for unrestricted air movement.

Alcanoe's post re Giros is very useful. Inexpensive'ish, more protection, and the non-pointy shape of the Limar. See https://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm for a good review of all helmets.
Old 08-29-10, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
with insect netting across the front 7.
EXCELLENT idea!
I was thinking of that just the other day when once again a bug got sucked into my helmet and was buzzing around against my scalp.
Old 08-29-10, 06:03 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh man - just when I thought I had the cloths thing down now I gotta worry about having the best in Helmets too.
Old 08-30-10, 10:02 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
You mean you're thinking about replacing the leather hairnet?

Shazzam!
Old 08-30-10, 10:23 AM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I use the Ionos and a Havoc both from Giro. The Ionos vents much better but as stated with better venting better chances for bugs to fly in.
Old 08-30-10, 11:19 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclist2000
I use the Ionos and a Havoc both from Giro. The Ionos vents much better but as stated with better venting better chances for bugs to fly in.
To add a few more data points in the Giro line (if you're looking at them), of the recent models I have tried, they vent worst-to-best as follows: Prolight (the new one, not the one from '85), Pneumo, Atmos, and Ionos. This is of course subjective, but this is what my sweaty head and stinging eyes are telling me.
Old 08-30-10, 01:56 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Had plenty of helmets over the years- some well vented and some not as good. But it doesn't matter what helmet I use as I still have the major problem of sweat in the eyes when I get warm. This has been cured by wearing a Cycling cap under the helmet. Keeps the sweat from running down the forehead and evaporation from the cap keeps the head cool. I have used bandanas under the helmet to the same effect but the cap feels more comfortable.

Current helmets are a Rudy Project and a MET. Both as good as each other for ventilation but the sweat still pours. But neither of them feel Hot. The ventilation is there.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-30-10, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
It's probably the Limar ultralight Pro 104 in white or sliver. It's the lightest helmet in the world (170g), has 22 large air vents, with insect netting across the front 7. The Catlike Whisper directs a lot of air at your head, but it doesn't have anywhere to go. With the Limar, it's more like the old "hairnet" helmet, with big stretches of open area for unrestricted air movement.

Alcanoe's post re Giros is very useful. Inexpensive'ish, more protection, and the non-pointy shape of the Limar. See https://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm for a good review of all helmets.
I have both the Catlike Whisper Plus and the Giro Atmos. The Catlike vents in the back allow the air to go out and I think its a good helmet. I like both and they both do a good job. The U.S. distributor for Catlike is Serotta out of Saratoga Springs, New York.
Old 08-30-10, 05:00 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Had plenty of helmets over the years- some well vented and some not as good. But it doesn't matter what helmet I use as I still have the major problem of sweat in the eyes when I get warm. This has been cured by wearing a Cycling cap under the helmet. Keeps the sweat from running down the forehead and evaporation from the cap keeps the head cool. I have used bandanas under the helmet to the same effect but the cap feels more comfortable.

Current helmets are a Rudy Project and a MET. Both as good as each other for ventilation but the sweat still pours. But neither of them feel Hot. The ventilation is there.
I tried a plain old kitchen towel like the Kleenex Viva. This might be a personal thing, as some riders sweat more than others. But for me, one Viva towel folded in half works. Very absorbent and dries quickly. I think the air flow is better this way rather than a full cycling cap that covers the entire head. With the Kleenex, it covers maybe one-third the head but at the most critical area, the front.
Old 08-30-10, 06:45 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
I've had several Giros in the last 15 years. I like the way they fit my head. Broken 3 of them. Not a lot of smarts to protect there but they did their job. The worst crash I didn't even realize my head was involved until I went to remove the helmet and it literally went to pieces in my hands.

I used to use white thinking it would be cooler but now don't think it makes a bit of real difference. Too much foam to transmit the heat from the helmet surface to my head.

Currently using a Saros as my main helmet and an older Monza as my second. Both mid line but still quite nice. Giro's customer service is excellent, too. When I bought the Saros last year I thought I could maybe clean the old sweat cushions in the Monza. They were too old and broke up as I removed them. Called Giro a tried to buy a set but they shipped them to me for free.

I keep a bandana on my handlebars held with a big loose-ish rubber band for the sweat. Comes in handy.