Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dura Ace Brifter Upgrade - Done!

I had a problem while on vacation in Upstate NY. My 105 left shifter broke on my first ride of a 2 week vaca. With help from Eric at Downtube Bike shop in Albany, we were able to jury rig a downtube (no pun intended!) shifter on the stem. Worked fine and I was able to get in lots of great rides.

The good news is that my stock 105 shifter had a 2 yr warranty from Shimano. I contacted BD and they had me send the shifter in. I installed a borrowed Sora shifter and got the NEW 105 shifter in. Unfortunately it was silver, and my other shifter was ice grey.

I decided that since the 105 was brand new and never used, this would be a great time to part it out. So i've got the shifters on Ebay and Craigslist. Meanwhile the local wrench has some new 7800 Dura Ace shifters (I know they are not the most current version, but they are new) that he's installed. He also put on some new bar tape, and cleaned and adjusted the bike.

Last week I got a Retul refit to accommodate my new Selle Italia seat. Had to move the seat back and shorten the stem. Picked up 2 new tubes and CO2 Carts. Now I'm all ready for the big 115 mi ride around Lake Okeechobee next Sat.

Now I just gotta get the motor tuned up and ready to go....
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference in performance and weight between Ultegra and Dure Ace is not that great- In my mind not great enough to warrant the difference in price-------But the length of life between the two is tremendous. That is providing you don't break the stuff.

I used to be of the school that Dure-Ace is not worth the extra- but after having aquired some XTR bits for the Tandem at the right price- I changed my mind. (XTR is the top end for MTB's and the equivalent of DA) It was a bit smoother- more durable and the life of the parts is at least double.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than the hidden shifter cables, and a slightly better (for me) hood shape on the 7900 levers, I prefer the 7800 shifters by far. Easier, more precise shifts. Shifting the 7900 set for me is just a lot of hard work.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you titled your thread correctly. It is an upgrade. Hope you get lots of great miles out of the new equipment and fit.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    The difference in performance and weight between Ultegra and Dure Ace is not that great- In my mind not great enough to warrant the difference in price-------But the length of life between the two is tremendous. That is providing you don't break the stuff.

I used to be of the school that Dure-Ace is not worth the extra- but after having aquired some XTR bits for the Tandem at the right price- I changed my mind. (XTR is the top end for MTB's and the equivalent of DA) It was a bit smoother- more durable and the life of the parts is at least double.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm all for durability! I think I got a good deal on the DA 7800 Brifters - $325. Once I part out the new 105 pcs (I hope to get $200) I'll be in it for $125.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have about 100 mi on the new Dura-Ace 7800s. I must say they are indeed an upgrade from 105.

I've heard people describe them as "crisp." Right on the money, I would say. And to that I would add very, well I guess I'll call it decisive. (I know there is a better word, but it escapes me right now.) I need to have the fit rechecked, however, as they have a different profile from the 105s and I'm getting a little numbness in the left hand.

I also like Stepfam's input that they are more durable. That's comforting. And JimF's input about the action vis a vis the 7900 is appreciated as well.

Thanks guys.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"