User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse, Kona Dewdrop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FINALLY: Got the Century in Today

I finally had the opportunity to get in the 100 miler I had wanted to do all summer. I traced it out in my car last winter, but have literally not had the day off to do it and get over it. Thank heavens for Labor Day.

Great ride, I did not get in a hurry. At 64, I tend to take my time, when I can. There were HUNDREDS of folks picnicking, hiking, cycling, and riding motorcycles on the Natchez Trace. Almost all of the road had recently been resurfaced. SMOOOOOTH sailing.

NOT ONE IDIOT, not one curse word, not one can of beer, all friendly folks having a great time. My total time? EIGHT HOURS. I spent time at stops, about an hour with one friendly group, talking to folks, enjoyed samples from Holiday cookouts, and generally had one of my best rides in years. Not fast? No, but I had so much fun, and socializing with so many different folks was great.

Ride time? I have no idea. The battery in my computer went belly up. I actually did not miss it, although I am generally pretty anal about time, speed, etc. NOT TODAY.

Maybe I should ride more without the computer. I am still weary, but happy. I had enough oomph left to smoke "my hill", about two miles away from my parking spot.

Today really recharged my cycling batteries, and I can't wait to ride again Monday.

Happy Labor Day, everyone.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever training you did for your first 100 miler worked. You took breaks at the right time and 8 hours is not a bad time. You even had the weather with you so you even got that right.

Don't forget the Recovery ride today--Not long- not fast and no effort going in on the legs. Then Monday you can do the ride again to see if it was a fluke

Well done on the ride and throw the computer away- it seems to work for you.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 hours and with a hour stop with a family and several other little ones, that is good time(riding time) for your first one. The next will be better.
    Agree with Stap, do a recovery ride today, a small one and in a low gear to get the legs spinning and no real efforts.
    no goals , just ride

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Having a century under your belt is like an invisible bicycling merit badge. It gives you an unbelievable amount of self confidence. I just did my first ever on August 24th, 102 miles in 8 hr's also my 52nd birthday.

I only hope I can still do a 100 miles when I'm 64. Hay that reminds me of a Beatles song.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on a good century.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. A Sans Idiots Century? Is that possible? I have seen dueling idiots on a century.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!
    I still have mine to do but I doubt I will make it in 8 hours total including rest stops. Did 77 miles in approximately 7 hours total.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did my first in 25 years yesterday. Like you we had great weather, mild breezes and few hills, it was marvelous. That being said it still took me 8 hrs 45 mins. A little longer than I had hoped, but it was very social, I rode with a number of other solos, and talked it up with all of them it was great, and a great accomplishment. Congratulations to you , for your century, but also in forgetting the odometer and learning something new about yourself n the process.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done! Congrats...now they just get easier. That is, the psychological part is over.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse, Kona Dewdrop
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road a Metric today, this time it did not seem so far. I did use gearing to spin with a light load, had a another great ride, still a lot of folks on the road, lots of motorcycles, lots of waves and smiles.

I rode a lot in the 90's, but got distracted for several years. Got the "Dale" in the spring of 2009, and put my bad self back on the road. No more lay offs.