User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle Height and Cramps

The last few 100K on our tandem I've gotten cramps right at about 40 miles. One ride I cramped so bad at a stop that we fell over. I didn't have this severe of a problem last year despite being relatively new to cycling and in my 60's. I'm drinking, taking electrolytes, etc. Any grade at 9-10% or over I'm working very hard on the tandem and beating my quads up pretty good especially since we don't stand much.

It's hard to compare the effort on my single versus the tandem and I don't ride the single much, but about two weeks ago on the single I could really feel a difference in my leg stroke on the single versus the tandem. So I measured the crank to saddle on the single versus the tandem and found 79cm on the single versus 78cm on the tandem. Raised the tandem seat 1 cm and we took a 47 mile tandem ride yesterday which was trouble-free. It was a relatively flat ride, but I was pushing hard most of the way; the extra cm just seems to let me use my legs more efficiently.

Doesn't have much to do with being over 50 except us older bodies are not as forgiving as they once were.
    Rick T
    --------
    daVinci Joint Venture
    Volagi
    Strava Tandem Club

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For about 7 years I was Tandem riding with very little Solo bike riding. The Tandem was set up properly for the Long offroad Enduros we used to do. Only problem I ever had was Butt pain after about 80 miles. That was one reason i used to prefer the metrics. But that Tandem was perfectly set up.

One Thing I noted though was that The Solo Mountain bike did cause a few leg pains- Not really cramps but the thighs would tighten up after about 3 hours riding and it was getoff the bike and have a good stretch. Then one day and like you I found saddle Position was different. Pedal to saddle was correct but the saddle on the solo was too far back. Put on an inline seat post to bring the saddle forward and Problem solved.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan