Thread: Senior Olympics

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Senior Olympics

I just have to brag about my husband winning a gold metal in the Senior Olympics here in San Diego. He entered the 50 - 54 year old catagory, 10 mile hill climb in Mt. Laguna (our local mountains). This was the first time he had ever entered anything like this and was very surprised and happy when he found out he won. Now he is really looking forward to next year.

Do any of you have Senior Olympics in your cities?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to kick butt!!!!!!!!!
    "Angel, Bop Bop loves you!!!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah!

I know Laguna well, having lived in Pine Valley, Cuyamaca and, for a short time, in Laguna. Way back when, my grandfather had a cabin in Laguna near the store/lodge.

For ine summer, I maintained the water system (such as it was) in Laguna!

Congrats to your hubby. That is a significant climb. I assume from Laguna Junction up to the top?

No senior olympics that I know of. Just came from watching out local Criterium. $10,000 in prize money. The pros will be this afternoon!

The men's masters begins at 35 - a bit of an advantage over someone almost 65!

Tme men's novice had all ages - 16 through about 45. I could have entered that, but I am not, nor have never been, a fast rider. I would have been last! Still, maybe next year?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-25-04 at 12:21 PM.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband started the climb at Sunrise Highway and Hwy 8 and it ended a little past the Laguna store that is on the left. He said it took him 43 minutes - not bad for an old gym. I'm very proud of him

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have Sr. Olympics in Tucson, usually end of January.
    Am gonna be 72 and still race in 'em. Got a bunch of medals including 4 golds in 1 year, from when I was a 'younger' senior (oxymoron?).
    Usually the San Diego Cyclevets show up in Tucson; they're a tough bunch. They think we are easy pickins and they always use team tactics in the road races and refuse to lead until the last few hundred meters. Was in a sprint for finish with 5 of them and looked like I had 3rd place lined up, 'til a Vets guy about 50 lbs my heavy, threw a sideways body slam into me while sprinting. Almost crashed but recovered; elbowed him hard and got fourth (no medal); had the satisfaction of beating the slammer over the line.
    Congrats to your hubby!
    Moral: Growing old is not for sissies!