User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question, Is it better to sit safely on your ass and clog your arteries or be active?

and risk getting injured?

What do you think?

Oscillation overthruster Dr. Banzai's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safest is to sit on the trainer watching TV.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Banzai View Post
    Safest is to sit on the trainer watching TV.
    But boring (the TV, that is).
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you have to make any tradeoffs at all.

You could set up a trainer in a doughnut shop, and accomplish everything at the same time:

- clog your arteries
    - be active
    - not get hit by a car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You addressed physiological health, and I would add psychological health as well. Both of my avocational endeavors, cycling and shooting, involve some element of risk (of injury). Cycling helps physiological and psychological health, and shooting helps primarily psychological health. I suspect some would be surprised at how a day at the range among fire, smoke, noise, and flying projectiles can be relaxing, but it is. Both cycling and shooting are challenging in that I strive to be a little better at both than I was during the last outing. This doesn't always happen, but I keep trying. I'll take the risks.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I don't think you have to make any tradeoffs at all.

You could set up a trainer in a doughnut shop, and accomplish everything at the same time:

- clog your arteries
    - be active
    - not get hit by a car.
    And probably get hit by a bus walking to the doughnut shop!

But seriously, you'll die quicker doing nothing and feel better being active. I'll take my chances being active.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it April Fools Day?

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitting on your ass isn't even LIVING, that's just EXISTING.

I'm a man of faith (not dogma, so don't flame me about 'dirty words'...you filthy schmuck, lol), and to waste what you have been given by squandering your talents is an abomination.

On a more earthly level, you wind up in the ICU by 44 because you rode that couch since you were 13, I'll pull the plug myself. Then I'll ride past yor funeral procession, and skid over your grave.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by semsd View Post

What do you think?
    Ride up and down Texas Street a few times.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a question you need to be asking your mother.
    Foxye, the Floribbean

2006 Trek Rail
    2009 Trek Lime
    2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7
    1980s Nishiki Road Bike
    1993 Cannondale V1000
    1994 Cannondale Killer V900
    1995 Cannondale M1000
    1996 Cannondale Killer V900
    1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3
    1997 Cannondale F1000
    1997 Cannondale Super V 2000

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think?
    Find a happy medium. Learn how to ride in traffic such that you don't get your @ss smacked around by traffic. Learn how to herd the cars. Since you're in SD, let these people help.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sixty percent of U.S. citizens are officially overweight. There's a reason:

I believe that the fast-food franchises are all secretly owned by evil extra-terrestrials who want to fatten us up so they can harvest us for food. Just look at the plastic-faced Burger King and ball-headed Jack - do they look human to you? Cycling makes us too skinny and able to resist them, so they've launched a massive PR campaign to portray cycling as "too dangerous". Recently, they've even begun installing microscopic subliminal message thought transmitters in cycling helmets to get us to quit riding and eat lots of fast-food.

Fight back . . . before its too late!
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can look at this from either the quality of life or quantity of life perspective. I come up with the same answer either way. Get off the couch and live life.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc_cat View Post
    Sixty percent of U.S. citizens are officially overweight. There's a reason:

I believe that the fast-food franchises are all secretly owned by evil extra-terrestrials who want to fatten us up so they can harvest us for food. Just look at the plastic-faced Burger King and ball-headed Jack - do they look human to you? Cycling makes us too skinny and able to resist them, so they've launched a massive PR campaign to portray cycling as "too dangerous". Recently, they've even begun installing microscopic subliminal message thought transmitters in cycling helmets to get us to quit riding and eat lots of fast-food.

Fight back . . . before its too late!
    The grain of truth in your post is that there is a suggestive correlation between obesity and ADM's loading of Americans with corn syrup. Combine sugary soft drinks, which give few satiety cues, with lack of exercise, and the outcome should be unremarkable.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

thompsonpost

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have pedaled over 300,000 mile so far . . . at age 78 am gonna wait 'til I get older to vegetate!
    At 135 lbs, am not really overweight.
    Get injured? Survived WWII in Europe as a kid and the 'police action' in Korea as a young adult.
    Yes, have had a couple crashes/falls on the bike . . . beats starvation and bombs in WWII and bullets and shrapnel anytime!
    As you tell your dog: "Get off the couch!"

MWS
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Cronus,Trek FX 7.5, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 55 and I just started cycling in April. I've had a heart attack and had 3 stints put in 4 years ago. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with Lupus. Cycling is the only exercise I've found I can do without causing my hands and feet to swell because of the Lupus. I've ridden over 1500 miles now since April. Last month my doctor did the usual 6 month bloodwork. My doctor was so excited about the results of my bloodwork she called me herself instead of the usual call from her nurse. She wanted to know what I was doing different and if I had went on a diet. My bloodwork test were perfect. I told her no diet change, the only thing I'm doing different is the bicycle. She then replied whatever I do dont stop pedaling. Cycling makes me feel a lot better which also helps some with the Lupus. I ride almost every day and I look forward to it. Most Lupus patients suffer from depression and riding helps with that also I've lost 15 lbs which helps. Health wise my bicycles are the best thing that has happened to me in the last 5 years.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ships are safest in harbour, but that's not what ships are for.
    I'll add my own comment to this old saying. A ship may be safe from storms in harbour, but it will rust.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When its time to ride, i ride, when its time to Carbo load, i carbo load. Sitting on the couch helps with the carbo loading.

My Bikes
    Several
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think?
    Doc told me that they can clog regardless of the amount of exercise you do. I guess he was right 'cause I was active my whole life but just got four brand new stents several months ago. I am thankful for the advances in cardiac technology. As far as the other part of the question, use a mirror, LOL. Seriously though, you can't stop living and being active (if physically possible of course), because at that point you would have already cashed in the major portion of your chips.
    Last edited by Talldog; 09-06-10 at 08:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever heard of

Safeass Disease?

It's a real killer!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    Doc told me that they can clog regardless of the amount of exercise you do. I guess he was right 'cause I was active my whole life but just got four brand new stents several months ago. I am thankful for the advances in cardiac technology.
    My dad had a triple by-pass in his 80s - he's 94 now and still kicking. When it comes to heart disease, genetics + diet are important factors.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post

I'm a man of faith (not dogma, so don't flame me about 'dirty words'...you filthy schmuck).
    Dang, I almost spilled beer all over myself with that one.

Assuming that the OP isn't just tossing peanuts into the monkey cage to see what the reaction will be, I think it's an interesting question.

This forum has chronicled enough bad things to make you ponder the wisdom of hopping on the bike sometimes.

You can improve your odds by being vigilant and creative (ie., thinking about how many different ways they can kill you).

Riding down some roads is just asking for problems, no matter how legal it might be to ride a bike on them.

Still, if some kid has you on their speed-dial, you might just be dead to rights.

That's a reason I'm trying to buff up my karma. Usually I radiate goodness and purity, but the karma has not been positive lately.

If anyone out there is selling karma credits, I might be interested in purchasing some.

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a stent in my chest. I had that because (I suppose) I went to California to manage a large marina there - and I had left my mountain bike back in Denver in storage. I have my magnificent Lady Xizang with me now, and intend to keep her with me through the bitter end. No way do I ever want to be without my bike again!

I also learned that nothing creates energy better than using energy. I go out for a decent bike ride and come back - I may be tired, but I'm wired and often do my laundry, dishes and other chores, before finally laying down to take a nap. And as long as I can ride, I don't get depressed. Great physical and mental therapy, that GT Xizang.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWS View Post
    I'm 55 and I just started cycling in April. I've had a heart attack and had 3 stints put in 4 years ago. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with Lupus. Cycling is the only exercise I've found I can do without causing my hands and feet to swell because of the Lupus. I've ridden over 1500 miles now since April. Last month my doctor did the usual 6 month bloodwork. My doctor was so excited about the results of my bloodwork she called me herself instead of the usual call from her nurse. She wanted to know what I was doing different and if I had went on a diet. My bloodwork test were perfect. I told her no diet change, the only thing I'm doing different is the bicycle. She then replied whatever I do dont stop pedaling. Cycling makes me feel a lot better which also helps some with the Lupus. I ride almost every day and I look forward to it. Most Lupus patients suffer from depression and riding helps with that also I've lost 15 lbs which helps. Health wise my bicycles are the best thing that has happened to me in the last 5 years.
    WOW!!

What a strong testimony.

Congratulations, pleased you are here on this forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast