Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Dropped again

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropped again

Celebrated Labor Day by riding in a 106 mile organized ride with only 4400 ft of climbing. We averaged 24 mph for the first 55 miles-but the pace seemed easier than that-at least while I was actually in the group.

However I got dropped from a group of about 30-40 at 30 miles and surprised myself by bridging back up. There was a group of about 8 that gone out front and were a steady couple hundred yards ahead of our larger group. We just didn't seem to be able to close the gap. We hit a pretty fast stretch and somehow I wound up out front and did a humongous pull to cut into the gap-and pushed the pace up so high I could not get back myself on other wheels. I dropped off and figured I'd just wait on the next riders and did not expect to see the larger group again. After a few miles they were completely out of sight. A couple other riders came up after a couple more miles and we worked really hard and I was able to launch them back up to the group.......only to leave myself about 100 yards short with no help. Somehow I eventually got myself back on the larger group with another large effort.

That was probably the furtherest back from the lead group I've been where I was able to bridge back up. It had to be the bike.......
    Ride your Ride!!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ye playeth "a game with which I am not familiar".

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Billydonn. I have no idea what you are talking about. Sometimes on a great day I can hold 24 MPH for a few miles. I pay dearly for that burst of speed the rest of the day. I ride a number of centuries each year, but at a speed I can last.

I am very happy you can do this, but have no idea what you people are doing in those groups.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So those PEDs are working out!

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I get dropped I doubt that I could ever catch up unless there were some unexpected circumstances that slowed the group that dropped me.
    Last edited by gtragitt; 09-06-10 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, averaging 24 MPH over that kind of distance, (or much smaller distances) even in a group, is beyond my comprehension. But also, catching up to a fast group after you've been dropped, that's about the greatest feat in group riding. Very hard, very impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't sound like much fun, worring about not keeping up with the "group". But, to each his own.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job jppe! And I would not say that 41'/mile of climbing over 106 miles is "only". Your time trailing experiance came in handy. Don't you just hate it when you do all the work pulling guys back to the group only to have them fly around you and complete the bridge leaving you hanging?
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    So those PEDs are working out!
    Especially going downhill!

Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    That doesn't sound like much fun, worring about not keeping up with the "group". But, to each his own.
    I can understand where you are coming from. For me it's based on what I'm out there planning to do for that day. I enjoy riding in groups but also enjoy the solo stuff as well. I got a good dose of both yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Don't you just hate it when you do all the work pulling guys back to the group only to have them fly around you and complete the bridge leaving you hanging?
    And I KNOW better as well. Pulling a group of 30 for that long was just dumb-but I thought I could jump back in and catch some wheels. Little did I know I was riding that hard or that a nice hill lay just ahead.......and the second time the visual of seeing us reeling in the large group was motivating-plus I had a really nice TT rhythm going. I misjudged that I could sustain the pull until latching onto the rear of the group. I guess what surprised me the most was mounting a 3rd effort to get back on by myself. All of that cost me in the long run as I paid dearly about 25 miles later.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    ...riding in a 106 mile organized ride ...
    Well there's your problem right there. No amount of elbow flicking will get anyone to help you out until you stencil it on their foreheads. Plus, whose fault was it to take too long a pull?....

What happened to the Deep Woods Off, the elixir of champions?

Nice job latching back on, though, that's pretty tough to do after getting dropped, twice.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my riding at 24mph is done in suffering mode so it doesn't last for very long.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working hard (doing intervals on my commute) to improve my ability to get up to speed quickly, and to generate bursts of 'bridging speed'. Having started doing group rides for the first time, with a club that stretches my abilities, my goal right now is to finish one darned ride with the group, instead of by myself. There is generally a regroup after long climbs - a stop to refill water bottles and such - but losing the group as it accelerates away from a stop or a corner generally means riding the rest of the way solo, or with other 'dropees'. The fast guys in front will tend to jet off quickly to about 23. I can push that speed only briefly if I'm not drafting, so if I let a gap form, I am in trouble fast. I learn a bit more, and get a bit stronger each weekend. This weekend's ride is a tough one by my standards: 63 miles with 2,300' of climbing. Unless they take a long water break, it will be adios amigo long before the end. I'm at a point where I am in between the B group, which has a wide range of abilities and constantly stops to regroup, and the A group, which has a higher cruising speed, accelerates like mad, and doesn't stop for anyone, anytime.

So, bottom line, I understand how you must feel to have made those bridges, and respect the effort, and especially the training, that made it possible.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so slow, it's best I don't know my actual speed or change in elevation.
    No computer on my bike

And I'm not jealous.
    Just happy to mosey along at my own pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what happen. He needs to be sure his batteries are fully charged before he rides with "that" again. :-0 Oh sorry, wrong forum. lol

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " I got a good dose of both yesterday." -- jippe

I laugh because I'm a B-B+ rider when my knee lets me. Congrats on the third bridge!

Brad

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to bridge gaps like that I rely on quantum fluctuations and the instantaneous entry into and egress from parallel universes.

That and lots of drugs.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Most of my riding at 24mph is done in suffering mode so it doesn't last for very long.
    ALL of my riding at 24mph is done downhill

Nice job, jppe.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    I'm at a point where I am in between the B group, which has a wide range of abilities and constantly stops to regroup, and the A group, which has a higher cruising speed, accelerates like mad, and doesn't stop for anyone, anytime.
    Yeah, that's where I am. Or similar. I've spent a lot of time dropped by stronger ridrers but more serious than the others and therefore in no man's land-riding alone. But increasingly I'm keeping up with somewhat stronger riders provided that they let me do a lot of drafting, so maybe in a few seasons....

My Bikes
    Trek Domane
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jppe... Is this really the 50+ forum? I want to start taking whatever you are taking! I just had a good crap and I feel like I really accomplished something.

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    ... catching up to a fast group after you've been dropped, that's about the greatest feat in group riding. Very hard, very impressive.
    I don't know about that ... all you have to do is keep going and catch them when they stop for pie ...
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounded like a great ride and effort. Group dynamics make cycling more interesting and a lot more fun. I feels great to put out a big effort that pays off.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein