Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watches with big numbers

I hate having to put my reading glasses on in order to check the time while I'm cycling. Any suggestions on a watch with nice, big, easy-to-read numbers?

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this big enough for you, lol:

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Protege bike computer shows the time (in addition to all the usual stuff like speed, avg speed, etc.), and the display is quite a bit larger than most other models.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-9-...pr_product_top

My Bikes
    Brompton M6R and mountain bikes equipped for touring.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T4: Big enough, but not exactly my style. I was thinking more along the lines of a Casio or something similar.

Benge: Thanks, but I'm more interested in a wrist watch.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go retro!

With traditional analog watches (remember watches with hands on a dial?) all you have to be able to make out is the general position of the hands.

I went retro over ten years ago and never need help telling the time. In fact, I went so retro there's actual machinery inside my watch. No quartz and batteries here! Self-winding so that's not an issue either.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Go retro!

With traditional analog watches (remember watches with hands on a dial?) all you have to be able to make out is the general position of the hands.

I went retro over ten years ago and never need help telling the time. In fact, I went so retro there's actual machinery inside my watch. No quartz and batteries here! Self-winding so that's not an issue either.
    Mine too---Colibri Skeleton watch for me. It isn't self winding though.
    It is a pocket watch, my workplace doesn't allow wristwatches.
    2008 Kona Fire Mountain/Xtracycle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I void warranties.
    Cycling well IS Cycling Advocacy
    Originally Posted by Steely Dan: if you're riding a bike and not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flava flav..jpg

How's this?
    Faster than a sundial.

MWS
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Cronus,Trek FX 7.5, Trek Navigator 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to retire on disabiliy a year and a half ago. Yes I'm the lucky one, I'm disabled but I can ride a bike. I was constantly looking at my watch every few minutes at work, everything I did was on a timetable. I watched the clock for 37 years. The day my company terminated me I threw my nice Seiko watch down through the woods. I'll never wear another wristwatch again. Now I use the sun. If its dark its time to go home.

Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR C2 / Bianchi "beater"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the Timex "Easy Reader" styles. They're not high-end, but the numbers are pretty big and they seem to work ok.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Casio is what I use. Its the one that's sold at Target or Wal-Mart. I think its called the "G-Shock" model. It has a large digital display that can be flashed when you press a button in case of darkness.

It is powered by a solar cell. There is a backup battery inside, but I haven't changed it in over 5 years. The time automatically calibrates because it receives a signal from somewhere. The times I need to change the setting is when I'm traveling say from west coast to east coast.

I think the cost was like 70 or 80 dollars.

I used to have the Timex model but it wasn't solar and did not have the automatic calibration of time.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    L.L Bean has some nice easy-to-read watches.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53786?from=SR&feat=sr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're in the Fifty Plus group and all you have to wear is READING glasses??? Grrrr... On the other hand I do remember those days of stuffing reading glasses in my shirt pocket along with all my other paraphernalia. It was almost a relief to finally have to wear bifocals. I bought a Timex Expedition (analog), about $30 because the Y wouldn't put a clock in proper place on pool wall. It is water RESISTANT, but I've been swimming with it since April without leaks. I do wear 2x swim goggles though. But I bet that YOU could read it without glasses. And jump in a river at the end of your ride.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to those who say "retro". Screw digital watches. An analog watch with 2 hands can be read and understood in a fraction of the time it takes to distinguish the numbers and parse the meaning of digital watch. Do a test - take one of each kind of watch (perhaps set to different times), set them down on a table covered with a piece of paper. Stand above the table so that both appear far away. Uncover each for a fraction of a second and see which one allows you to recognize the time quicker

I teach and when I am in the middle of a lecture and want to know how much time I have left before class is over, I steal a very quick look at the analog watch on my wrist and even a glimpse at an acute angle gives me the information I need. The same applies to cycling - a quick read of the analog watch on my wrist takes much less of my attention than getting the info from my cyclocomputer.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another idea. Try bifocal riding glasses (dark or clear or yellow.) That's what I do, and it's great. I always wear some sort of riding glasses for sun, wind, and bug protection. Since I have discovered bifocals, that's all I wear now.

If you are a riding glasses snob (no offence intended,) you may have to do some digging on your own. I know Maui Jim has some upscale bifocal sunnys.

Me, however, are quite a bit more price sensitive.

www.boomersintheknow.com

or

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

I got like 10 pair (dark, yellow, and clear) and I keep a pair in each car and several in various strategic locations around the home and garage. For the price you can't beat it.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title of this thread sounds like the answer to this question: What does an Olympic judge do?

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a large-display Wal-Mart special that I wear to work; about $10-12. Been working perfectly for almost two years. No-name brand sports watch, the face is about the size of a silver dollar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDeta...=9407067340800

I'm a big fan of this watch. I recently bought my second one on amazon for $30... but they don't have it in stock there right now. It has a big watch face and good size numbers.
    "I have no idea what I'm doing... but I know I'm doing it really really well."

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With naked vision any timepiece on my wrist or handlebars is just a blur, no matter what size the numbers or hands. Cheap bifocal safety glasses solve that problem while riding.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your out riding-you don't need a watch!

My Bikes
    '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, these may be a bit more expensive than you're looking for, but I've found their watches to be very reliable and quite easy to read, especially if you go for one like the Chronosport that doesn't have a lot of complications (sub-dials).

Ernst Benz

They are LARGE watches (although not as big as that linked picture), so if you've got a small wrist, these might not sized for you.

Oscillation overthruster Dr. Banzai's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nixon 51-30