Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

See my tour photos & reports

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-04, 07:31 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just discovered this forum and figure it would be a good place to show off my European tour photos. I went to Austria 2 years ago and followed the Salzach and Danube bike paths. I liked it so well I went back to Europe last year and cycled along the Rhine and Mosel rivers. I was 57 and 58 years old at the time. To see the photos go to my home page and scroll to the bottom for the links:
https://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/

Anybody else got photos or trip reports to share?

Ken
Old 09-28-04, 05:39 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Beautiful pictures - what a great experience!
Old 09-30-04, 04:30 PM
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Fox. It was a great experience.

I had wanted to bike in Europe for about 25 years and finally decided I wasn't getting any younger. I liked it so well in '02 I decided to go back in '03. Maybe again next year, when I turn 60? Most of the other cyclists I met along the way were 50+.

I clicked on your profile and got to your cycling page. Your rides in the Rockies must have been awesome.

Ken
Old 10-02-04, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep my trip journals - including lots of photos - at denisegoldberg.crazyguyonabike.com.
Old 10-05-04, 08:39 PM
cycling fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Denise, thanks for adding the link to your reports and photos. I hope we hear from others as well.

Towards the end of your report on the cross-country trip you have a section titled "things I learned". I had the same wonderful exhiliration and I am still very proud of my achievements. I think there is a particularly great sense of achievement when you do a trip solo.

On my final day as I cycled back towards Frankfurt airport I recall saying to myself "Woohoo, I am going for a bike ride today".

Ken
Old 10-06-04, 06:27 PM

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ken -
Thanks for mentioning the "things I learned" page in my cross-country journal. It's been just over two years since I returned home from that trip; your reminder sent me back to re-read that page too, and it made me smile. Touring is such a special activity, and touring solo is magic. It's funny - you'd think heading out alone would be a lonely experience, but it really isn't. It sounds like you share that feeling too.

--- Denise