Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Pix of your bike storage system

(Reposted from Road Cycling since many of us don't frequent that forum)

When this cycling addiction begins to not only take over your life but your garage or other utility area, finding efficient storage becomes paramount. My garage is bursting at the seams, and anything I can do to make more efficient use of the space is always appreciated.

I was in Harbor Freight today looking for a compact metric hex key set for my bike wedge. They didn't have what I wanted, but I did find something that I REALLY needed.

Since I have 11 bikes (9 in the garage) the Cycle Tree intrigued me. It can hold up to 6 full size bikes.

And for $40 it's a great value and a real space saver. It might not be the prettiest addition to an apartment, but it's very functional and easy to move.

I took about 30 min to assemble. The instructions are not the greatest, and they refer to Strut A and Strut B (2 each) and all 4 pieces were identical and unmarked. 4 of the 8 bolts are about an inch longer than needed, but that' better than too short.

None the less, it went together just fine. The paint job kinda sucks, but it works for the garage.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like you- I got too many cycles for the garage but that was mainly due to the familiy putting their clutter in their aswell.

So a special room for the bikes.10'x16' shed and it is MINE. Adapted it a bit to put in a workbench and the 4 road bikes are hung by the saddle on the extra rafter set I put in for them. The MTB's and bikes for repair stay on the floor stacked at the far wall- but are still acessable.

garden1..JPGRafters..jpg

There are a few extras like alarms(Two of them- one on the door and one motion sensor)- the work bench had to be substantial to take the weight of the Beer Fridge (Only when the BBQ season is on) But still room to set up the bike satnd and get fully round it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modest bike room off of the finished basement
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just leave them on your vehicle. That way if your auto breaks down you can choose the appropriate one for the task at hand.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This in the man cave inside the house...

and this outside in the shed...
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just have them hanging around the garage with the extras in the basement during their off season.

oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SWEET, I need to check into those, did the N+1 thing for both myself and the Mrs. and we live in a one bedroom apt. and the bikes are taking over!! :O What you don't see in the photo is the "bicycle utility trailer" on the the other wall, YIKES!

Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    Since I have 11 bikes (9 in the garage) the Cycle Tree intrigued me. It can hold up to 6 full size bikes.

And for $40 it's a great value and a real space saver. It might not be the prettiest addition to an apartment, but it's very functional and easy to move.

I took about 30 min to assemble. The instructions are not the greatest, and they refer to Strut A and Strut B (2 each) and all 4 pieces were identical and unmarked. 4 of the 8 bolts are about an inch longer than needed, but that' better than too short.

None the less, it went together just fine. The paint job kinda sucks, but it works for the garage.
    Looks like good use of space, but how sturdy is that thing? That's a lot of weight hanging from the top bar. I wouldn't hang my suspension forks upside down like that, but for unsuspended bikes, it might be good.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I just have them hanging around the garage with the extras in the basement during their off season.

For you guys who store in garage or outside of the house, do you have any alarm systems?
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    For you guys who store in garage or outside of the house, do you have any alarm systems?
    Armed guards, attack dogs, redundant alarm systems, frequent visits by the sheriff's patrol and we never leave home. Why do you ask?

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Armed guards, attack dogs, redundant alarm systems, frequent visits by the sheriff's patrol and we never leave home. Why do you ask?
    I guess I don't have a lot of trust in my fellow man! I was thinking about using a utility area apart from my house, but was worried about the security. I keep my more expensive bikes in the house, but it can be a pain having to bring them up the steps.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The area I live in is fairly rural and most of the local bad guys wouldn't know which bike to take first and would probably skip over the bikes with skinny saddles. Besides all that, my brother-in-law is our insurance man and we do have a 6.25 lb dog.
    Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 09-09-10 at 10:37 AM.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two alarms- One on the door and a motion sensor set off within the shed. A dog that can hear the apples fall off the tree from 150ft away and a cat that does not like intruders. Seems simple enough but The bikes on the floor have a hawser bolted to the floor and through the frames aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Looks like good use of space, but how sturdy is that thing? That's a lot of weight hanging from the top bar. I wouldn't hang my suspension forks upside down like that, but for unsuspended bikes, it might be good.
    I was very surprised how strong and sturdy it is. If I had expensive suspension bikes I would probably hang them by the rear wheel if there is a concern. I'm not sure what the concern would be, however. It doesn't seem to me that the weight of the bike is very much compared to the forces on the fork when riding.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Reposted from Road Cycling since many of us don't frequent that forum)

When this cycling addiction begins to not only take over your life but your garage or other utility area, finding efficient storage becomes paramount. My garage is bursting at the seams, and anything I can do to make more efficient use of the space is always appreciated.

I was in Harbor Freight today looking for a compact metric hex key set for my bike wedge. They didn't have what I wanted, but I did find something that I REALLY needed.

Looks great - I'm going to pick one up! Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was very surprised how strong and sturdy it is. If I had expensive suspension bikes I would probably hang them by the rear wheel if there is a concern. I'm not sure what the concern would be, however. It doesn't seem to me that the weight of the bike is very much compared to the forces on the fork when riding.

I have heard previous concerns about fluid leakage. Don't know if that happens, though. I ordered one, as, with my back situation, I am not sure I want to lift my bikes up to our very high rafters in our garage where I usually store some bikes in winter.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-09-10 at 04:02 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger1 View Post
    Ah! Minimalist.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Ah! Minimalist.
    How did you quote his post and get the image to show? I know it's off-topic, but i haven't figured out how to do that on this message board.

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garilia View Post
    How did you quote his post and get the image to show? I know it's off-topic, but i haven't figured out how to do that on this message board.
    I just hit Reply With Quote, and it was there.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to it. I could be wrong, but if forced to speculate, I'd say it had to with where the image is coming from. If linked from an outside web site, then seem to come up. If "attached" within BikeForums, they do not.

EDIT: Ah! Confirmed. It you hit Reply With Quote on Timtruro's post above, you get just the words, no images. He "attached" the images from within BikeForums. So it's not anything I do, it's what the person does that you're replying to.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I just hit Reply With Quote, and it was there.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to it. I could be wrong, but if forced to speculate, I'd say it had to with where the image is coming from. If linked from an outside web site, then seem to come up. If "attached" within BikeForums, they do not.

EDIT: Ah! Confirmed. It you hit Reply With Quote on Timtruro's post above, you get just the words, no images. He "attached" the images from within BikeForums. So it's not anything I do, it's what the person does that you're replying to.
    aaah, okay, I guess the only images I've tried to "reply with quotes" were attached and not an outside url.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lock each bike using a cable lock to a rack secured to the sheds framing (2X6s) with lag bolts, then run a chain through all seven of the bikes. Additionally, there is a lock on the shed door with an alarm that sounds whenever the door is opened (it can be turned off quickly is you know where the switch is). Finally, I've got really good home owner's insurance.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one which is currently being ridden the most leans up against the living room wall next to the door. The other two rest comfortably against the dining room table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Booger1 View Post
    My setup, too. As for alarms, I have one made by Glock... ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast