Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Post Pix of your bike storage system

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 12:45 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

(Reposted from Road Cycling since many of us don't frequent that forum)

When this cycling addiction begins to not only take over your life but your garage or other utility area, finding efficient storage becomes paramount. My garage is bursting at the seams, and anything I can do to make more efficient use of the space is always appreciated.

I was in Harbor Freight today looking for a compact metric hex key set for my bike wedge. They didn't have what I wanted, but I did find something that I REALLY needed.

Since I have 11 bikes (9 in the garage) the Cycle Tree intrigued me. It can hold up to 6 full size bikes.

And for $40 it's a great value and a real space saver. It might not be the prettiest addition to an apartment, but it's very functional and easy to move.

I took about 30 min to assemble. The instructions are not the greatest, and they refer to Strut A and Strut B (2 each) and all 4 pieces were identical and unmarked. 4 of the 8 bolts are about an inch longer than needed, but that' better than too short.

None the less, it went together just fine. The paint job kinda sucks, but it works for the garage.
Old 09-08-10, 01:01 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Like you- I got too many cycles for the garage but that was mainly due to the familiy putting their clutter in their aswell.

So a special room for the bikes.10'x16' shed and it is MINE. Adapted it a bit to put in a workbench and the 4 road bikes are hung by the saddle on the extra rafter set I put in for them. The MTB's and bikes for repair stay on the floor stacked at the far wall- but are still acessable.

garden1..JPGRafters..jpg

There are a few extras like alarms(Two of them- one on the door and one motion sensor)- the work bench had to be substantial to take the weight of the Beer Fridge (Only when the BBQ season is on) But still room to set up the bike satnd and get fully round it.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-08-10, 03:01 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Modest bike room off of the finished basement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010034..jpg (71.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
P1010035..jpg (85.9 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-08-10, 03:07 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Just leave them on your vehicle. That way if your auto breaks down you can choose the appropriate one for the task at hand.

Old 09-08-10, 05:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
This in the man cave inside the house...

and this outside in the shed...
Old 09-08-10, 05:35 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just have them hanging around the garage with the extras in the basement during their off season.

Old 09-08-10, 07:48 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
SWEET, I need to check into those, did the N+1 thing for both myself and the Mrs. and we live in a one bedroom apt. and the bikes are taking over!! :O What you don't see in the photo is the "bicycle utility trailer" on the the other wall, YIKES!

Old 09-08-10, 08:40 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by bobthib
Since I have 11 bikes (9 in the garage) the Cycle Tree intrigued me. It can hold up to 6 full size bikes.

And for $40 it's a great value and a real space saver. It might not be the prettiest addition to an apartment, but it's very functional and easy to move.

I took about 30 min to assemble. The instructions are not the greatest, and they refer to Strut A and Strut B (2 each) and all 4 pieces were identical and unmarked. 4 of the 8 bolts are about an inch longer than needed, but that' better than too short.

None the less, it went together just fine. The paint job kinda sucks, but it works for the garage.
Looks like good use of space, but how sturdy is that thing? That's a lot of weight hanging from the top bar. I wouldn't hang my suspension forks upside down like that, but for unsuspended bikes, it might be good.
Old 09-09-10, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I just have them hanging around the garage with the extras in the basement during their off season.

For you guys who store in garage or outside of the house, do you have any alarm systems?
Old 09-09-10, 09:41 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by curdog
For you guys who store in garage or outside of the house, do you have any alarm systems?
Armed guards, attack dogs, redundant alarm systems, frequent visits by the sheriff's patrol and we never leave home. Why do you ask?
Old 09-09-10, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Armed guards, attack dogs, redundant alarm systems, frequent visits by the sheriff's patrol and we never leave home. Why do you ask?
I guess I don't have a lot of trust in my fellow man! I was thinking about using a utility area apart from my house, but was worried about the security. I keep my more expensive bikes in the house, but it can be a pain having to bring them up the steps.
Old 09-09-10, 10:34 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The area I live in is fairly rural and most of the local bad guys wouldn't know which bike to take first and would probably skip over the bikes with skinny saddles. Besides all that, my brother-in-law is our insurance man and we do have a 6.25 lb dog.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 09-09-10 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-09-10, 11:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Two alarms- One on the door and a motion sensor set off within the shed. A dog that can hear the apples fall off the tree from 150ft away and a cat that does not like intruders. Seems simple enough but The bikes on the floor have a hawser bolted to the floor and through the frames aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-09-10, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Old 09-09-10, 03:06 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Looks like good use of space, but how sturdy is that thing? That's a lot of weight hanging from the top bar. I wouldn't hang my suspension forks upside down like that, but for unsuspended bikes, it might be good.
I was very surprised how strong and sturdy it is. If I had expensive suspension bikes I would probably hang them by the rear wheel if there is a concern. I'm not sure what the concern would be, however. It doesn't seem to me that the weight of the bike is very much compared to the forces on the fork when riding.
Old 09-09-10, 03:30 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Reposted from Road Cycling since many of us don't frequent that forum)

When this cycling addiction begins to not only take over your life but your garage or other utility area, finding efficient storage becomes paramount. My garage is bursting at the seams, and anything I can do to make more efficient use of the space is always appreciated.

I was in Harbor Freight today looking for a compact metric hex key set for my bike wedge. They didn't have what I wanted, but I did find something that I REALLY needed.

Looks great - I'm going to pick one up! Thanks.
Old 09-09-10, 03:57 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I was very surprised how strong and sturdy it is. If I had expensive suspension bikes I would probably hang them by the rear wheel if there is a concern. I'm not sure what the concern would be, however. It doesn't seem to me that the weight of the bike is very much compared to the forces on the fork when riding.

I have heard previous concerns about fluid leakage. Don't know if that happens, though. I ordered one, as, with my back situation, I am not sure I want to lift my bikes up to our very high rafters in our garage where I usually store some bikes in winter.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-09-10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 06:54 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Old 09-09-10, 06:55 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by Booger1
Ah! Minimalist.
Old 09-09-10, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Ah! Minimalist.
How did you quote his post and get the image to show? I know it's off-topic, but i haven't figured out how to do that on this message board.
Old 09-10-10, 02:59 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by Garilia
How did you quote his post and get the image to show? I know it's off-topic, but i haven't figured out how to do that on this message board.
I just hit Reply With Quote, and it was there.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to it. I could be wrong, but if forced to speculate, I'd say it had to with where the image is coming from. If linked from an outside web site, then seem to come up. If "attached" within BikeForums, they do not.

EDIT: Ah! Confirmed. It you hit Reply With Quote on Timtruro's post above, you get just the words, no images. He "attached" the images from within BikeForums. So it's not anything I do, it's what the person does that you're replying to.
Old 09-10-10, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I just hit Reply With Quote, and it was there.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to it. I could be wrong, but if forced to speculate, I'd say it had to with where the image is coming from. If linked from an outside web site, then seem to come up. If "attached" within BikeForums, they do not.

EDIT: Ah! Confirmed. It you hit Reply With Quote on Timtruro's post above, you get just the words, no images. He "attached" the images from within BikeForums. So it's not anything I do, it's what the person does that you're replying to.
aaah, okay, I guess the only images I've tried to "reply with quotes" were attached and not an outside url.
Old 09-10-10, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I lock each bike using a cable lock to a rack secured to the sheds framing (2X6s) with lag bolts, then run a chain through all seven of the bikes. Additionally, there is a lock on the shed door with an alarm that sounds whenever the door is opened (it can be turned off quickly is you know where the switch is). Finally, I've got really good home owner's insurance.
Old 09-10-10, 11:00 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The one which is currently being ridden the most leans up against the living room wall next to the door. The other two rest comfortably against the dining room table.
Old 09-10-10, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
My setup, too. As for alarms, I have one made by Glock... ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.