Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Comfort Saddle for the older rear end

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-25-04, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I admit that I am a newbie, but have gotten to the piont where I am riding enough to want a more confortable saddle. Now I have a Townie 3 with the original seat. That was OK until I started riding more than 5 miles a day. At 55 I am not interested in racing, just enjoying my bike, decked out with a handle bar radio, riding in fairly safe (few cars) area. No springs on the bike and it has a semi recumbent ridng style. Was thinking of "The Seat"by Ergo, or a comfort cloud 9 with coils, any comments (would really like an Ergo with coils but have not seen them).
Roger
Old 09-25-04, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've gone through quite a few saddles till I discovered what I like. Buy a few on ebay and resell them if they don't work out. Remember, except for brooks, your rear has to get used to the saddle as there is no break-in of synthetics.
Old 09-26-04, 05:25 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You might want to check in the "recumbent" forum about seats especially designed for a bent.

I ride diamond frames, and use the stock saddles with no problem - yes those little tiny things that look as if they could kill you.

They don't! They are designed to specifically support your Ischial Tuberosities (your "sit bones"), and reduce rubbing and chafing. "Well padded seats" tend to INCREASE discomfort on longer rides.

But I think the 'bent seats are an entirely different matter!

I am curious as to what age has to do with a saddle. Comfort is comfort, no matter the age, and a comfortable (not necessarily large or padded) saddle is a comfortable saddle!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-26-04 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-26-04, 05:45 AM

Bikes: Peter Mooney (touring), Bike Friday Pocket Rocket (road), Bike Friday Air Glide (touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to comment that I don't understand what age has to do with bicycle seats - everyone can have problems finding the right seat for his or her anatomy!

That said, I tried 4 saddles for my new bike back in 1998 before I found the saddle I now have on all of my bikes - a Fi'zi:k Vitesse. It surprised me since it's classified as a unisex saddle, and I had previously used a woman's saddle - but it's the best I've ridden. It's a narrow saddle with just the right amount of padding - not too much. All I can recommend is that you keep trying different saddles, and ask your favorite bike shop if they have a program where you can try a saddle and exchange it for something better if the first one doesn't work out for you.
Old 09-26-04, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks comfort saddle
Old 09-27-04, 03:48 PM

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I was having trouble with my seat (San Marco) a while back so I bought one with some padding-been fighting it for a couple of months thinking it was bike fit problems. Put the old San Marco hard seat back on and it feels so much better I can't believe it-taking the new seat back tomorrow.
Old 09-28-04, 05:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Brooks B17 and have been very happy with it (for my cycle cross bike). It was fully broken in at 200 miles. I was able to discontinue use of padded bike shorts. It also looks good.
Old 09-28-04, 02:16 PM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aww, get a 'bent. They have some of the best seats around. He, He.

'bent Brian
Old 10-01-04, 07:38 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Get a bent if you want real comfort. If you insist in riding conventional bike, get a Brooks B66 Champion.

I am 74 and regularly use a Revive which is very comfortable. I also use a Halfway folder. After replaced it's saddle with a Brooks B66 Champion it is now nearly as comfortable as the Revive!

I had been riding bikes for 70 years. I have had 5 Brooks saddles ( 2 Professional, 2 B73, and 1 B66 Champion)and all of them are very comfortable.
Old 10-16-04, 02:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Brooks B17 is super confortable for me and the kind of riding I do. It is meant for the rider who does long distances. My handle bar is slightly lower than my saddle height. The saddle was comfortable from day one and only got more comfortable as it became broken in.
Old 10-16-04, 03:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll sing a familiar song. The year I turned 50 I tried riding a wedgie 50 miles a day for two days on a tour, and the last 20 miles hurt like the blazes. I got 'bent, and now I can go all day and nothing hurts.

Use a little common sense here, what would be easier on the keister: bouncing up and down while straddling a brick, or seated on a padded lawn chair?
Old 10-31-04, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an update. Since I posted I bought the Hobson seat, much too complicated, I kept slipping off. I bought "The Seat"by Ergos. Great, been riding with it for 28 miles, three seven mile trips. and it is fantastic. I know a lot of people do not like this strange, no horn seat, but for me it fits on my Townie and I am one happy rider.
Roger
Old 11-01-04, 02:48 PM
BDK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roger - I have a townie 21 and I just bought a Brooks Champion Flyer about 6 weeks ago and I love it. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-01-04, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BDK, I am happy with the Ergo Seat, but might try the Brooks later on if I get another bike. I have a question for you. I bought the Townie 3 because the internal hub (no maintanence). I live in South Florida (Miami). I thought there were no hills here in Florida. For a car there are no hills, for a bike, I am noticing thre are hills (could be my perception, or tired legs, LOL). I am a newbie, so this question might sound stupid, but, do you use all 21 speeds? Would more gears be better for me in Florida (I ride for exercise and the good feeling of riding)?
Roger
Old 11-02-04, 08:56 AM
BDK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger B
BDK, I am happy with the Ergo Seat, but might try the Brooks later on if I get another bike. I have a question for you. I bought the Townie 3 because the internal hub (no maintanence). I live in South Florida (Miami). I thought there were no hills here in Florida. For a car there are no hills, for a bike, I am noticing thre are hills (could be my perception, or tired legs, LOL). I am a newbie, so this question might sound stupid, but, do you use all 21 speeds? Would more gears be better for me in Florida (I ride for exercise and the good feeling of riding)?
Roger
I ride the hills of middle TN so a 3 speed wouldn't cut it for me. I don't know if I use them all but I do use even the smallest gear for bad hills and I use the highest gear on the flats. Just hang in there a couple of months and you'll be amazed at your fitness level. At some point, it won't be an issue.
Old 11-02-04, 09:59 AM
Banned.

I am amazed at the variety of bikes that 50+ers ride
Old 10-26-05, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Go to Spiderflex online and check out their dual pad seat. It looks wierd but is pretty comfortable. It worked for me until I bought an LWB recumbent and left all the discomforts of DF biking behind. bk
Old 10-27-05, 08:32 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger B
At 55 I am not interested in racing, just enjoying my bike...
Was thinking of "The Seat"by Ergo, or a comfort cloud 9 with coils...r
You're just a kid. I'll be 61 in a few weeks and have a Terry Fly on my commuter (second one - wore out the first one) and a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow on my road bike.

Soft and comfortable will not feel good after 10 miles. Look for something a little firmer with less padding. Your backside will thank you.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-27-05, 10:16 AM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Go to Spiderflex online and check out their dual pad seat. It looks wierd but is pretty comfortable. It worked for me until I bought an LWB recumbent and left all the discomforts of DF biking behind. bk
I can vouch for this seat. I used one of these for about a year. Heavy, but comfortable.

Steve
Old 10-27-05, 04:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Having owned an Electra, and also having owned a seat similar to the Spiderflex (called an "EasySeat, I think it was," I believe the two would go well together. The bolt-upright positon of the Electra would work fine with the "cheek support only" design of the seat. The seat is less adequate for "road racer style" bikes IMHO, but would be the thing for a Townie. Let us know how it works if you try it, please.
Old 10-28-05, 09:25 AM
"Old & Slow Rider"

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess I'm really lucky, the stock comfort saddle on my Fuji Monterey is fantastic! LOL, my butt must be different than Denver Fox's cause them "thin" seats cause me massive discomfort! :0 Mines got a elevated twin gel-pad with a slot in the middle, underneath it's got smallish springs too and my seat post is a suspension unit.

On a 40 mile off-road ride, with a bunch of serious MTB'ers, I noticed that I wasn't complaining of "butt pain", while others with FS MTB's were rubbing their buns. I think the gel pads and the suspension seat post worked very well on the rutted and bumpy old railroad bed road we were on.

The moral of the story is that a "bicycle seat" like a motorcycle helmet is something that has to be "tried on" and experimented with to find the "proper fit", jmho.
Old 11-09-05, 09:15 AM
Born to ride brazed

Bikes: Trek Pro 560, Fuji Touring, Trek ATB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roger:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I put a Saddleco Flo on my '86 Trek Pro 560. Super light weight and the seating area is made of special mesh. It conforms to your exact anatomy, and allows moisture to escape in the hot weather. Only for riders up to 200 lb in weight. I have a Brooks B17 and it is taking FOREVER to break in. I am NOT a fan.

Bruce
Old 11-09-05, 09:47 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BJ Ondo
On a 40 mile off-road ride, with a bunch of serious MTB'ers,
And you are still claiming that you are not a "serious" rider.

For shame!
Old 11-09-05, 06:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tried several, my 57 yr old bum likes the fizik aliante (sp?), best by far, have stopping looking for a better one
Old 11-09-05, 07:26 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a margin of time for getting used to a firmer, racing style saddle. As you get conditioned and begin to push somewhat higher gears, you begin to "lighten" the way you sit on your saddle....a small but significant bit of pressure on the sit bones is relieved as you push the pedals with more force. Also, you begin to automatically move around on the saddle applying pressure a little differently to those old bones thereby re-distributing the pressure on them. Standing occasionally also postpones butt pain. There is also simply a bit of "toughening" up on the butt that happens over time. At least, that's my experience.

Experienced riders often have old saddles shoved in their garage somewhere that they've collected searching for "the right one". Finally, after "x" miles, everybody's butt eventually twinges....the more you ride, however, usually your "X" gets bigger and your comfort range gets longer!

But, as all agree.....nothing is more personal & intimate & relative than your saddle-- whatever style that may be.

Last edited by GrannyGear; 11-09-05 at 07:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.