Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many Retired?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How many Retired?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 07:36 AM
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I'm afraid a 15 demerit penalty has been assessed to "oldfool" for reviving a thread that was over 3 years old.
What does a pig know about time? Three years was just the other day.
Old 02-17-08, 07:50 AM
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

"Hey dude, are you aware that it has been over 6 months since someone posted in this thread. Post if you like, but be aware that folks like DnvrFox and Tom Bombadil will notice. You might consider starting a fresh, new thread."

Yeah and then some old fart flags you for duplicating
Old 02-17-08, 08:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd still be interested in updates.
Old 02-17-08, 03:49 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK, here's my update. I was reading the thread, thinking about what I would write and then came upon my own post from a year ago!

Now, 60, retired three years and have moved out of the snow country (5 months ago) and can now ride year 'round. I was called back to work for about 2 1/2 months. It taught me that I don't want to work anymore. Riding is a big part of my life now. The "Three Fs". Fitness, Friends and Focus. I ride 6000+ miles a year.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 02-17-08, 06:21 PM

Bikes: orbea onyx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
I love the Mont Tremblant area. Have cycled the entire P'tit Train du nord, some sections two or three times. Quebeckers are avid cyclists.

I have been retired for a little over a year now and love it. Don't know how I ever had enough time to go to work.
I have enjoyed le petit train often..maybe too often....if you are back here i will show you some more interesting rides
Old 02-17-08, 07:11 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
OK, here's my update. I was reading the thread, thinking about what I would write and then came upon my own post from a year ago!
Make that almost 3.5 years ago!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 02-18-08, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Here's my update from post #27: I retired 4/1/06 at 66 1/2. The first year was even more enjoyable than I had expected. My wife continued her work so we haven't traveled much. I got in a lot of cycling in our area of SW Washington State. About this time last year I got very busy fixing up our home in Olympia, then put it up for sale in July. It sold in late August and we moved to Oregon late in September.

We were able to rent a home adjacent to our property and next door to my framing contractor. It took about 90 days to work through the city/county permit process and we began building our new home January 16th. We have had a string of good (dry) weather recently but I didn't get much cycling in as we have been pouring concrete.

The foundation is done and today we are pouring the floor of my daylight basement workshop. Hopefully, by Summer's end, we will be moved into our new home. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 02-18-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 10:21 AM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update (four years later): I retired eight years ago after 27 years in the USAF. I was 45 years old at the time. As the old USAF slogan went it was "A Great Way of Life". Most good things must come to an end and that one did. I took a year off to de-mil and then went to school and finished my Bachelor’s degree in History with a minor in Political Science. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA, and I'm currently researching a subject to write a book. It is pretty much centered on our Revolutionary War.

In the years since my retirement I have also pursued my CDL and drive for extra spending money. Even young retirees have to pay property taxes

Life is still good.

Last edited by Gus Riley; 02-18-08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-18-08, 10:51 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm soon to be 57. I won't be retiring anytime soon. I could, but I want to pay off the house, and the loan for my daughter's college, and my son will be starting college next year..... I figure sometime around age 65 I'll be able to. I'm a 6th grade teacher. Those kids wear me out! Retiring sounds so good! But I get summers off, so I can take a substantial tour every year if I want - plus a mini-tour during spring break. (This year I think I'm going to go check out Henry Coe State Park on my mountain bike.)

Bicycling will definitely be part of my retired lifestyle. I want to ride across the country someday, and don't see it happening until I'm retired.
Old 02-18-08, 04:54 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I'm 51 and retired. Started saving at 22, original goal was to retire at 50, I missed it by 6 months. Even though I had a plan back then, I did not understand INFLATION and medical insurance. So while I surpassed the nest egg target well ahead of schedule, I realized original target was naive....
Old 02-18-08, 05:35 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I'm 51 and retired. Started saving at 22, original goal was to retire at 50, I missed it by 6 months. Even though I had a plan back then, I did not understand INFLATION and medical insurance. So while I surpassed the nest egg target well ahead of schedule, I realized original target was naive....
Is there a "Mrs or companion" wrk101, and are there children?ollege and all that)
Old 02-19-08, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I retired from ful time work 1/1/06. Since then work 3 days per week, Tuesday - Thursday. This gives me a day week-end every week and lots of time for exercise. Of course living in New Jersey the winter often disallows bike riding, but I do what I can.

Since I am not quite 62, I feel too young to be 100% retired, and frankly would be too bored. Life is great right now, and I hope to continue in this vein for a few more years.

Best regards
Old 02-19-08, 09:14 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I had posted on this thread earlier but NO...
SO
Not retired at 56 and counting...will not be available for retirement till 70 in this clergy business,,,however the pluss is that I can ride most days for my exercize, if i get my work done. Since I ride for exercize and not to race, I dont have to take a major portion of the day to get in my 10+miles.
ANYWAY,, it is good to hear all the 'stories' of people on here to see the varied group that we are...a section of society.
peace
Padre Floyd
Old 02-19-08, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got tired of working and quit for good in 1988.
Old 02-19-08, 01:34 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Retired 10 years ago at 57. Got back into road cycling after moving to FL. Ride 100-150 miles per week. Never missed working. Time now taken up with cycling, boating, travel and just lounging around.
Old 03-25-09, 12:26 AM

Bikes: 2012 Guru (Titanium) Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Retired Folks that Bike

My first post here. Looks like the 50+ group has been napping since mid-February? Hubby and I retired in mid 2006 and have enjoyed retirement very much. Took up cycling in late summer 2008. I wouldnt say it is a passion yet, but my hubby and I are enjoying the learning process. As some folks have mentioned, the medical insurance premiums are definitely an eye-opener when considering the cost of retiring.

I am 50, and have nearly reached 24 months of recovery from a 3-disc back injury. Its amazing, but cycling can still be part of my recovery fitness, as long as I dont overdo it. Falling off the bike doesnt help though...Ha Ha
Old 03-25-09, 12:45 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by greywolf
Still working at 57 ,a long way to go, there's no set retirment age here but I can start to draw a pension at 65 though it won't be enough to live on .I have to pass a medical every year now im past 55 to keep my present position
I think Greywolf's problem will be the conundrum of many. Gotta work, but many workers in this down turn are unwanted.. How does one fix that grand problem. ? After all , are not many older workers more expensive.. Yet, we are not allowed to retire.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 03-25-09, 12:46 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Welcome!

Fantastic first post - you woke a 5-year-old thread from its nap. Navigation of this forum can be a little confusing at first, check the top of this forum and you'll see we haven't all been napping since February...
Old 03-25-09, 01:08 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Welcome!

Fantastic first post - you woke a 5-year-old thread from its nap. Navigation of this forum can be a little confusing at first, check the top of this forum and you'll see we haven't all been napping since February...
Five year old thread? Didn't it start in 08?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-25-09, 06:27 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
It started many years ago, has been in nap mode a couple of times, but has been reawakened every few years as folks got up from their slumber, and, blurry-eyed, decided to add just one more post, not being able to read the previous post dates.

However, NEWLIFE06, you may think that the 50+ forum has been napping for a few years - that is just because our posts seem boring to other folks. Actually, this is a very active forum.

Are you going to join us on our annual ride in Glenwood Spings, CO, August 31?

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/488051-bfn-50-first-annual-ride-monday-august-31-a.html

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-25-09 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is the end of my third full month of retirement. No regrets except the horrific weather here in the Northeast this year. Unable to get away due to a number of issues, including getting retirmenent and healthcare issues resolved, moving into a new home, getting rady for my son's wedding in May, dealing with an elderly parent's care etc, etc, don't know how I found time for work. Did by a new bike though and really looking forward to biking this spring and summer. No regrets although the economic issues screwed up some of our plans.
Old 03-25-09, 07:08 AM
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Wow, this is an old thread. First post was 9-25-04.

My retirement is going great.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 03-25-09, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Sidewinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
23 years Navy Active/Reserve service spanned over 42 years. In at 19 back in '56, out w/4 in '60. Went into Reserve at age 40 for 16 years. Age now is 71 and RETIRED in 2002. Haven't missed getting up and going to work at all. Love the retirement life and had a p/t job working from home for 3 years until owner sold the company to India. You can guess the rest, everybody terminated. Just started back riding a bike because walking became so boring. First day rode only ½ mi and thought I was gonna have to call 911 . Never knew body could hurt so much. That was two weeks ago.

Now am up to 3+ miles per day and discovered just yesterday a city park close by that is more interesting than riding in the neighborhood. No cars, but peeps and ducks to watch as you go by. Even though walkways are all concrete found out there are PLENTY of inclines that are killers on the legs. However, my body feels MUCH better these last two weeks and can only get more improved. BTW, love these forums!
Old 03-25-09, 10:01 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickJIV
Now am up to 3+ miles per day... However, my body feels MUCH better these last two weeks and can only get more improved.
Great progress!

My number 1 tip to returning riders - it's more important to ride frequently than to ride long distances. Get on your bike and ride 4x or 5x a week, and you'll notice a big difference in 6 weeks, even if you're just riding short distances.
Old 03-25-09, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the 50+ fun house, PatrickJIV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.