Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That 2nd. Bike for a beginner

One of the problems you have when starting cycling- is what type of bike to get. The choice is immense and with all the grades of components fitted it can be a bit hit and miss as to whether you get the right bike for you. When it comes to the replacement bike for that first bike- it is a lot easier. You know what you want in a bike-the grade of the components and more important- a better idea on fit.

A few years ago I had a friend that wanted to upgrade from his mountain bike to something that would do the occasional long road ride- be suitable for his daily commute in fine weather of 20 miles but still keep the upright position of his MTB. Managed to get him into my LBS who did him a good deal on a Giant FCR3. That bike suited him down to the ground but it was stolen earlier this year. So replacement bike time but a bit sooner than he wanted.

That FCR suited him completely. Components were at a level that suited him- the fit was there although he did feel that he could do with a larger frame and the ride suited him down to the ground. Problem is that the FCR is no longer made and the price of the replacement (The Rapid) has gone up a bit in price. He looked on the equivalent of your Craigs List and was looking for an FCR in good condition or possibly an older TCR. They did not come up.

Then he asked me about a Giant CRS. Never heard of it and as it came in the "Lifestyle" section of the Giant range- I did not recommend it. Well today he came into work with it. Despite my suggestion that he forgets the bike- He bought it.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/...ce/4865/38995/

It is a pretty good bike. The version he got is 3 years old and not a mark on it. Going by the wear on the rims- I would say it has been run round the block a few times and that is it. It is the Alliance frame which is aluminium with top tube and seat stays in C.F. Appearance is that it is one of the post 97 OCR or FCR frames with only a few changes to make it "Old Git" friendly. 28T granny ring linked to a 9 speed 12/28 cassette- 35mm tyres and they are the only downgrades I could see from the FCR Alliance.

The 35mm tyres will be going as soon as they wear out but that 28/28 gearing has already been made use of. Previous crankset was 50/39/30 and this is 52/42/28 and he has already found out that the 52 only gets used on downslopes. And that wide Comfort saddle has to go.

To be honest- My mate does not need or want a performance bike. He does need a bike that works and is going to be reliable and he had that in the FCR. It may have been a little low spec but with this new bike- he has upgraded the ride no end. He has gone from a $600 bike to one that cost's double that amount and you can see and feel the difference in the value of the two bikes. All he has to do now is wear out those wide tyres and put the 23's on and get rid of that saddle- Pulling the 52/12 can come later.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he still has the 20 mile commute, he'll want fenders I suspect.
    It looks like a good hybrid with a "heads up" posture that is practical when riding in city traffic.
    I'm no fan of skinny tyres so hope he enjoys the wider ones.

Three years old, but seldom ridden... I hope he got it for a steal of a price.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fenders are for serious commuters and he is only a "Fair" weather commuter. On top of that- He has a full wet suit that breathes provided by the company. I did try and get hin onto a full road bike and Loaned him my TCR for a week and although he liked it- That upright riding position does suit better for traffic. But tyres- 32's with a tread pattern- do not roll as good as the 23's and the roads he rides on are perfectly smooth (Lucky Basket) But he got this bike for $600. Same as he paid for the FCR3 about 3 years ago. Price on the new models like this are around $1300 so I think he got a good deal.

And on the newness of the Bike. The rims have grooves on them from the machining. I have the same set of wheels on one bike and the machining grooves wore off by 100 miles. This bike is listed at 22lbs and in his riding state with the pump- lights- water bottle- tool kit etc. This one weighs in at 23lbs. So the 22 must be for the largest frame. He has the Medium.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan