Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate Intervals - FAIL!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 09:23 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I went out today for a ride and decided to do heart rate intervals. I have them programed into my 305. I start out from the house, warm up until I get the north end of town, and then begin. Once my HR hits 90% the first interval begins. I keep the HR between 90% and 95% for six minutes, then stop and rest for 2 minutes.

I then start going and once my HR hits 90% the six min timer starts again. Repeat 5 more times. After the 4th I just didn't have the desire to finish.

I used to do these once a week last winter, but then I started doing wind sprints with some guys at 5AM. I kinda got out of the habit.

We don't have much in the line of hills here, so intervals are the next best training for the upcoming Horrible Hundred in 10 weeks. I got a lot of work to do!

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/102983
Old 09-10-10, 09:54 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just my opinion. 90-95% of MHR for 6 minutes takes more than 2 minutes to recover. Keep in mind there is a lag of the heart rate that follows the intensity so your time at 90% was longer than 6 minutes, possibly by 1.5 minutes. The idea of intervals in zone 5 is to strengthen the body by taxing the fast twitch muscles and asking the slow twitch to help out also. Depending on how much closer you are to 95% will also make a huge difference in the recovery time. At a minimum a 5 to 6 minute easy spin recovery is needed between reps, if you are keeping it at 90% and 8 to 10 minutes between reps if you riding at 95% for that duration. As an example, several weeks ago I had a really hard workout doing 6 x 1 mile intervals. The workout was 2 x 3 one mile intervals with 12 minute recovery between intervals and 15 minutes between the sets. I was able to do all the intervals between 2:06 and 2:11 which equals somewhere around 28+ mph of an average/rep and my HR was just getting to Z5 at the end of the intervals. When I do Z5 sprint burst by building speed for 20 seconds in the saddle, 20 seconds attacking OTS, 20 seconds easy spin, then repeat the cycle 9 more times the interval is 7.5 minutes in duration. Between the 2 intervals I get 15 minutes of recovery.

Keep up the hard work and don't beat yourself for trying too hard.
Old 09-10-10, 10:01 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Holding an interval for 5 minutes is a pretty long time and doing 6 of them is a tall order. I think you did pretty well to do what you did.

I ride the Horrible Hundred every year and have since 92. On a century, I really avoid red lining it anyway. I don't think that horrendously hideous interval training will help you that much. That ride is more about being able to climb some steep hills without having to go into the max heart rates.
Old 09-10-10, 11:25 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Jet and Pat, thanks for the replies. Good advice.

Originally Posted by Pat
Holding an interval for 5 minutes is a pretty long time and doing 6 of them is a tall order. I think you did pretty well to do what you did.

I ride the Horrible Hundred every year and have since 92. On a century, I really avoid red lining it anyway. I don't think that horrendously hideous interval training will help you that much. That ride is more about being able to climb some steep hills without having to go into the max heart rates.
Indeed, I want to stay out of zone 5 on the ride. Perhaps I'm naive, but I thought these intervals would build capacity to AVOID getting to zone 5 on the climbs. Since we don't have any real hills to train on here, this is my hill simulation.

When I had cancer in 2002 and was on chemo, I couldn't take a crap without needing a nap afterwards. A friend hooked me up with complementary account with (the controversial) Dr. Irving Dardik and his Lifewaves program. Dr. Dardik's theory was in part based on the assumption that man survived in the wild by running from predators and hiding quietly until danger passed. He cited may "fit" athletes (e.g. Jim Kick) who died despite being "in shape." Dr. Dardik's theory was in part that they were had not trained to rapidly lower their heart rate.

I was on his Lifewaves program for about a year. I wore a heart monitor that included an earphone that coached me though exercises that raised heart rate to a goal, and then immediately stop, rest, and bring your heart rate down. There were some European studies of similar exercise regimens that seemed to confirm this theory.

In addition, other studies indicate that interval training is the most effective training method for time constrained athletes. The HR intervals that I have done are based on a trainer's program for a 70 y/o.

Note also that after the 2 min rest the next 6 min interval does not begin until the HR hits 90% again, that may take several minutes. I try to time things so I have a 2 - 3 mi stretch w/o stop lights. Waiting for a green light can really make your blood boil, but it's not very good training.
Old 09-10-10, 11:32 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
He cited may "fit" athletes (e.g. Jim Fixx) who died despite being "in shape."
fify, I think.
Old 09-10-10, 11:53 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Ahsposo, so right you are. Jim Kiick is a former Miami Dolphin. And still alive and "Kiicking."
Old 09-10-10, 12:30 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
VO2Max is 3 to 5 minutes at constant POWER. One must use level of effort, time and distance to get an accurate measurement. 6 minutes with a buildup to 90% max HR is too long. As A'Jet said, the rest interval is 5 minutes between intervals. I do (4 to 5): 5 minute intervals of constant power at VO2Max effort with a 5 minute rest between intervals. Then I rest 10 minutes and do another set for a total of 8 to 10 repetitions. 4x6 with 2 minutes rest is more like bad z4 intervals.

Part of doing this interval work is getting it right so that they train the right power producing system and neurology. Also, z5 and z6 intervals are only effective for short periods of time which is typically 4 to 6 weeks. You cannot just keep pounding away at z5 week after week. These are typically used 3 weeks before an event. The underlying basis of one's training should be z3 and z4 work with emphasis on constant effort over long duration 10 minutes + Where are you getting your information?
Old 09-10-10, 12:37 PM
Version 7.0

Hopefully, you did not get your interval training info from the same source that says that an aerobelly is superior to six pack abs.
Old 09-10-10, 12:44 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Jet and Hermes, I defer to your expertize. I will reconsider my training program. And yes, it was the same source. I guess I better reconsider that too!
Old 09-10-10, 05:54 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My God. I'm just happy to get a few miles in and not be all rubber legs when I get off the bike.
Old 09-10-10, 06:54 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by bobthib
I went out today for a ride and decided to do heart rate intervals. I have them programed into my 305. I start out from the house, warm up until I get the north end of town, and then begin. Once my HR hits 90% the first interval begins. I keep the HR between 90% and 95% for six minutes, then stop and rest for 2 minutes.

I then start going and once my HR hits 90% the six min timer starts again. Repeat 5 more times. After the 4th I just didn't have the desire to finish.

I used to do these once a week last winter, but then I started doing wind sprints with some guys at 5AM. I kinda got out of the habit.

We don't have much in the line of hills here,
so intervals are the next best training for the upcoming Horrible Hundred in 10 weeks. I got a lot of work to do!

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/102983
IMO, the primary training for the Horrible Hundred is z3 with some z4. I am not familiar with that ride but I assume it has some climbs - maybe not.

Normally, I do not like to put "limitations on 50+ and 60+ but with respect to z5 VO2Max intervals, IMO, we masters should take these a little more cautiously. They are really hard on the skeleton and connective tissue. Normally, they are for advanced riders with a big base of z3 and z4 looking to top up for an event. The typical duration is 3 to 5 minutes, rest 5 minutes and repeat. So for a rookie 60+, I suggest doing 3 or 4 minutes versus 5 minutes. The last couple of minutes are very tough.

I would find a stretch of road with a couple of markers and pick a distance that you think you can travel going as hard as you can for 3 minutes. With the caveat that you will have to do 3 more at the same level of effort traveling the same distance in 3 minutes. So the hard as you can relates to all four efforts. It is bad to do the first one really well and with each succeeding effort taking more time or traveling less distance. Ideally, you last effort should be the hardest but your best result.

Get the feel of the effort and once you can execute 4x3 then do a 4x4. If that seems easy, increase to two sets and do 3x4 rest 10 minutes and then another 3x4. If you can knock out 6 four minute z5 perfect intervals you are a rockstar

Cadence...the faster the better but once again start easier and work your way up. I suggest targeting 85 rpm. If that was too easy then go to 90. If 90 was easy then do 100. 6 four minute z5 intervals at 100 rpm and you are a monster.

You can see the progression and the emphasis should be on technique, form and completing the interval at constant effort. The idea behind z5 work is to get you ready for the fast efforts and the ability to recover. The more intervals you do the better you get at recovery and having the ability to attack over and over again. Additionally, they will pop up your z4 power. Good luck.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-10-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumb question. Is the 90% based on calculated max or some historical data?
Old 09-10-10, 11:40 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ideally the 90% is based on careful testing of your max hr under controlled conditions. Failing that, it is based on a maximum exertion to the point of exhaustion from full anaerobic performance. Old geezers should take some care in attempting to work out hard enough to actually learn their max hr.
Old 09-11-10, 09:11 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I were to ask my cardiologist (who has given me a green light to push as hard as I want) to determine my max heart rate, would he know exactly what to do, or would I need to provide some additional information?

And, knowing the max is different for different exercises, should I insist it be done peddling? He normally uses a treadmill for stress tests.

I'm about to open the wallet and get a Garmin with heart monitor and power capabilities, and would love for my max to be accurate as I start learning all the zX stuff.