Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that we have something rather unique in this forum of 50+ ers bicycling enthusiasts.

Unique enough that it might become a Bicycling Magazine article?

Certainly blows the stereotype of "older" folks, IMHO. Just the 90 posts in the "Special Thread describing what folks ride, how they ride, where they ride, how much they ride, is pretty amazing!

Any thoughts?

Anyone interested?

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea. You wrirting the article Dnvr?
    I get tired of reading about young cyclists and "old", retired cyclists who are in their late 30s. That's not old!
    I also get tired of seeing TV commercials and magazine ads showing the "weekend" cyclist and his/her mountain bike. The non-cycling population probably thinks that the only folks who ride road bikes are in the TdF.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Duct tape won't fix that slotibartfast's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely not a crazy idea, Dnvr. With the graying of the Baby Boomers - and many of them looking for low impact exercise - we should see a lot more folks joining our sport. It also makes a lot of sense for local newpaper articles as well as a Bicycling Magazine article. A local article would also heighten drivers' awareness of cyclists on the road riding with the traffic. Why not an AARP article, too?
    It's no matter, no distance, it's the ride.....Stephen Stills...Throughfare Gap

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea. You wrirting the article Dnvr?
    Well, currently I am putting together a book written by 10 parents of Adults with Disabilities.

This was one of my crazy ideas, and we are now in final editing and hope to meet with a publisher in October. We have one in mind who will be in the area and already knows of our endeavors and wants to meet with us.

So, writing-wise, right now, I am fairly busy.

Anyone else interested. I think the slant to this is great:

Active 50+ ers can REALLY exercise, not just modified textbook old folks exercises.

My Bikes
    1982 Steve Bauer road bike, 1985 Custom Campy road bike, 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Norco Bigfoot MTB, 1975 Raleigh Twenty folder, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the older market was covered in June (?) with the ariticle on the former road racer (Johnny ? - can't remember the name) from New York that now lives in Florida and rides 20 miles every day. He's 90 years old!!!! Most memorable quote: "Hills are nothing to me!!"
    ...!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This month's big article is called Plush. New bikes that have a sweet ride and the bars close to the level of the seat. Think they got there already...

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article is a great idea, Denver. Let us know what we can contribute.

Incidentally, I heard a great talk by Kelly Ferrin, author of "What's Age Got to do With It?" One of my friends is listed for his (post bypass surgery) track records in the Senior Olympics.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

'Bent Brian
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good to me too Dnvrfox! The general age of the cycling club I belong to (Silver Wheels cycling club) is 50+ so thaere is some more fodder for the article. Those members are really active year round. Some do cross country bike trips, others do centuries, one even tows her kayak and camping gear behind her bike and goes kayaking!

'bent Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Well, currently I am putting together a book written by 10 parents of Adults with Disabilities.

This was one of my crazy ideas, and we are now in final editing and hope to meet with a publisher in October. We have one in mind who will be in the area and already knows of our endeavors and wants to meet with us.

So, writing-wise, right now, I am fairly busy.

Anyone else interested. I think the slant to this is great:

Active 50+ ers can REALLY exercise, not just modified textbook old folks exercises.
    Well, the book that several of us have been writing has been requested for review by a book publisher, and we will be meeting with the publisher on October 23rd or thereabouts. So, I am thinking about another project!!

I think that once we get 100 50+ ers responding to the thread (we now have 89) that I will then summarize by category each of the seven questions, and try to put something together.

This would have quite a different take then the article on the 90+ year old published recently in Bicycling Mag, as it would provide a significant commentary and summary of what a LOT of 50+ers can do in the way of exercise.

We now have 89 responses, and would hope to get an even 100 before finishing the artice. 100 makes a nice number!

We would anticipate not only summaries but in-depth interviews with several of our more prominent bikeforums 50+ members, especially about bicycling and exercise in their lives. Pictures, human interest, etc.

Anyone interested in working with me on this project?

Generally two minds are better than one.

Or, perhaps, we could form a sub writing group where several of us get together and share ideas and writing. This is what i did with the book we just completed. I set up a web page and a private listserv just for the sharing of and writing of the book. Same thing could work here. It could be a lot of fun.

Please PM DnvrFox if you have an interest
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-14-04 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have contact with an editor(s) of Bicycling or other bicycling mag?

Several of us on the 50+ forum are discussing the possibility of writing an article about 50+ bicyclers based upon the responses of 50+ folks to the special thread for 50+ bicyclists in the 50+ forum. We now have 89 responses, and would hope to get an even 100 before finishing the artice/ 100 makes a nice number!

We would anticipate not only summaries but in-depth interviews with several of our more prominent bikeforums members, especially about bicycling and exercise in their lives. Pictures, human interest, etc.

If so, please send a PM to DnvrFox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish some one would write an article explaining how to start for people in our age group. The only articles I see are for ex racers and the like. I quit riding when I was 12 and I am 53 right now. The bike I bought is in the corner and I try to find reasons not to ride. Trust me I wish i knew how to prevent or Minmise Saddle sores and how to build up areobic capacity to get going. It would make a good article " From Couch Potato to Fit 50". I have a Raleigh Super Record and an Alpine Star . Neither one is suffering from excess tread wear.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycling is quite fussy in acceptance of articles. Did submit, and had printed, several articles years ago, but different management has different ideas.
    Submitted article last year on us old timers (in our 70s) having covered over 200,000 miles on tandem bicycles. Heck, they did not even acknowledge receipt of article!
    Seems they want youthful faces, not old timers!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10-14-04
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-16-05 at 06:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I did not read the article about the 90 year old, wish I had.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in, anything I can do to help just lemme know. I just (self) published a book, soon to be a major best seller, (wink, wink!) and I "think" I know a few things about writing, if you want/need that kind of help.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10-14-04

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice idea but a hard sell
    Check the fotos of folks in the mag. How many are in the 60+ age range? We may have disposable income, and DO dispose of it, but one wouldn't think we are important judging the age range of its target buyers, and they may have a valid point.Go back 12 issues and see how many stories are pointed to those in our age group. I ride 4-6 mornings a week including Sta+Sun, have never seen a column of "older' riders breezing along the beach road, always young guys.
    And while I don't believe that competition is the mainstay of riding it certainly is the reason many are reinvolved in it as a sport, IMO.
    Personally I find the Brit cycling mags a lot more interesting to read
    Pik up a couple o copies of them and compare to the bland mags published in the US
    I asked the mgr of my local Barnes+ Noble about cycling mags and she told me they remainder, send back to publisher as unsold,3/4 of them, and that an uptick in current sales may be the TdeF
    Also asked her is the bike rack could be moved from the rear of the store to the front to prevent theft, was told "she would look into it", retailing shorthand for ,"I have more impt. things to do", I guess, racks still in the rear an still have bikes stolen from it judging from the wheels left and cut chain therein . When I asked a second time was told that the store couldn't eliminate a auto parking space to relocate the racks,(Daily Rant). This area may not be a "hotbed of riding", even IN season so I rarely ever see 60+ riders. I had NO response to messages left at the local stores which accept them, for folks to ride casually, to Palm beach, The Keys or around Lake Okeechobee.
    AS to supporting Bicyling Mag, maybe some day but not until they recognize MY value

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last post on this topic, until yesterday, was 10-14-04.

Why has it been resurrected from the dead file?

Let's put it to bed again with a nice comfy blanket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So very, very sorry to have intruded into private party, er, post
    Won't happen again

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelinguyrt
    So very, very sorry to have intruded into private party, er, post
    Won't happen again
    Yeah, me too. Geesh. I guess I didn't know you are supposed to read every date of every post as well as the content. Boy do I feel stoopid now. SORRY I posted.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillWalker
    I wish some one would write an article explaining how to start for people in our age group. The only articles I see are for ex racers and the like. I quit riding when I was 12 and I am 53 right now. The bike I bought is in the corner and I try to find reasons not to ride. Trust me I wish i knew how to prevent or Minmise Saddle sores and how to build up areobic capacity to get going. It would make a good article " From Couch Potato to Fit 50". I have a Raleigh Super Record and an Alpine Star . Neither one is suffering from excess tread wear.
    Agreed, wholeheartedly. The problem is, if one writes such an article, one will immediately be accused of "speaking for the generation" by a large number of dissidents who disagree with every point one makes. The old saying "ya can't please'em all" is never more true than when writing about a sport (like bicycling) that there are such different types involved in.

I write regularly in both technical books and in computer newsletters. I could write such an article as you suggest, but getting any consensus from a forum such as this on what the article should say would be impossible.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last post on this topic, until yesterday, was 10-14-04.

Why has it been resurrected from the dead file?
    Maybe because somebody wanted to discuss it NOW! and NOT on 10-14-04.

Do the Ground Rules of this list require Dnvr Fox' blessing to discuss a thread that Denvr Fox is no longer interested in? Presumably "us" as used in "Let's put it to bed" does not include anybody who was not a member of Denver's clique as of 10-14-04.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
    Maybe because somebody wanted to discuss it NOW! and NOT on 10-14-04.

Do the Ground Rules of this list require Dnvr Fox' blessing to discuss a thread that Denvr Fox is no longer interested in? Presumably "us" as used in "Let's put it to bed" does not include anybody who was not a member of Denver's clique as of 10-14-04.
    Perhaps because it was my idea to start with, and I started the thread?

Seems to me that we have something rather unique in this forum of 50+ ers bicycling enthusiasts.

Unique enough that it might become a Bicycling Magazine article?

Certainly blows the stereotype of "older" folks, IMHO. Just the 90 posts in the "Special Thread describing what folks ride, how they ride, where they ride, how much they ride, is pretty amazing!

Any thoughts?

Anyone interested?
    Start your own thread if you are interested.

This one is dead.

Gosh, I wish I had a "clique." That might be fun.

"I-Like-To-Bike" - you are really a ******!

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps because it was my idea to start with, and I started the thread?
    Does that mean the OP of all posts on this list determines when a thread is over and can shout down new posts, or only a moderator OP?

You certainly seem to have a bug in a difficult to reach area over anyone else posting on YOUR thread.

What difference is it how long the thread has been dormant? Several posters WERE interested enough to post UNTIL you shouted them down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What difference is it how long the thread has been dormant? Several posters WERE interested enough to post UNTIL you shouted them down.
    Then I guess I did a pretty good job.

Start your own thread. Write your own article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast