Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I was doing my usual 35 mile ride and came upon a youngster at a traffic light. He looked like he was ~20 years old and was wearing his pro team kit. He had huge leg muscles. I said hello and commented about the headwind (tropical storm Jeanne was headed our way). I figured he would take off and leave me in the dust before we'd gone more than a hundred yards. I took off as the light changed waiting for a blur to rush past me. Not so! After I'd gone about 1/4 mile I looked in my mirror and saw he was waaaay back there. Looked like he was struggling more than I was. That sure made me feel good.

I guess he got his huge leg muscles at the gym.

The moral of the story: You have to earn strong leg muscles by riding lots of miles and climbing lots of hills. You can't buy them at the gym.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the pro team kit slowed him down.

Or, maybe YOU should have entered our criterium here in Parker on Saturday.

Good job.

I think you are so fast, that no one could keep up.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-07-04 at 11:47 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. My riding partner and I (55 and 59 respectively) rode the Rosarito-Ensenada ride on the 25th. It felt really good going up the hills and passing a lot of younger folks hiking a bike.

jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    The moral of the story: You have to earn strong leg muscles by riding lots of miles and climbing lots of hills. You can't buy them at the gym.
    Like the old saying goes, experience and treachery will win out over youth and naivety every time.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The north coastal portion of San Diego County has a broad spectrum of cyclists, including many I pass easily and others who leave me in the dust.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any leg muscles I ever got from a gym, didn't do me any good on a bike.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heh! I'm 26 here (hope posting here is allowed ), and sometimes I pass up those ppl in their pro team kit, just to be passed by a 50+ shortly after. Whenever that happens, I don't take it as an insult @ all and I say to myself : I will be like that person when I'm 50+. Even if the person isn't faster then me, It's kind of like an inspiration to keep on.

Good work Ron and other 50+

Don't Believe the Hype RiPHRaPH's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see many 50+'s (not waistline, but age) >> blowing the wheelsets off of the younger riders. I see many, many guys in their 40's kicking @$$ and taking names on my fast weekend club rides. This encourages me rather than bewilders me, because i know that these 40 something's will be 50 something's.....and i, who will be turning 40 in 2 months am getting better and better.

These guys are much more focused. I see many more 50 somethings in the gym and riding @ 5am than the 20-30 crowd.

now if he was on a recovery ride.....
    I have enough words to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out of trouble.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, there are "show" muscles you get at the gym & there
    are hard "work" muscles that you get from riding or hard work. Work muscles are better because.....well, they "work".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well all you guys are so athletic - make me feel inadequate. I started to cycle about a year and a half ago, for a health reason. Before that I was VERY out of shape. I am 56 and getting better and stronger, but it seems that everyone can pass me at will, regardless of muscle size, age, bicycle, etc. Unfortunately, the fellow at our LBS sold me a team jersey. It actually feels quite good, much better than T-shirt. After reading the views people have with respect to others' equipment, clothes, etc., I may either need to buy a different shirt (which clothes would be acceptable?) or do some other sport, where beginners maybe more tolerated. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComPH
    Well all you guys are so athletic - make me feel inadequate. I started to cycle about a year and a half ago, for a health reason. Before that I was VERY out of shape. I am 56 and getting better and stronger, but it seems that everyone can pass me at will, regardless of muscle size, age, bicycle, etc. Unfortunately, the fellow at our LBS sold me a team jersey. It actually feels quite good, much better than T-shirt. After reading the views people have with respect to others' equipment, clothes, etc., I may either need to buy a different shirt (which clothes would be acceptable?) or do some other sport, where beginners maybe more tolerated. Any suggestions?
    Everything you might wear is "acceptable." Any speed you can go is "acceptable."

Bicycling has a well-deserved "snobbery" aspect, which anyone with any sense ignores.

I just came from a short (9 mile) ride wearing my sandals, regular shorts and a sleeveless sort of ripped up shirt. Works for me. In cooler weather, I go out in levis and a sweatshirt.

Don't get hung up on all the biking paraphernalia.

Beginners are tolerated, and, as in any other activity, you will find your own niche where you fit.

Mostly, have fun!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

H23
    My Bikes
    bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading the views people have with respect to others' equipment, clothes, etc., I may either need to buy a different shirt (which clothes would be acceptable?) or do some other sport, where beginners maybe more tolerated. Any suggestions?

Bravado.

Cycling talk is heavily laden with it. Its all bullsht, you know. Reading these dicussion boards, one would think everyone is like Mario Cippolini.

My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think you should wear a team jersey unless you can give an impression that you could ride with a team. I find T shirts get clammy and uncomfortable, so always wear either a plain cycling jersy or a soccer shirt.

My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Cannondale road tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ahead and wear your team jersey...... Or better yet one from your favourite company. Maybe a "Corona" shirt or something that represents your views on things other than cycling.
    Hockey

My Bikes
    2011 Madone 5.2, 64 cm, 180 mm cranks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you pass someone, consider the possibility they are on a recovery ride. Try riding and talking with them for a while if conditions permit.
    Tom

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that you are being facetious, ComPH. I wear a cycling jersey for the same reason as you - they're comfortable and well engineered for riding. I would ignore those who preach that unless you're Lance that you are somehow disrespectful of the biking tradition - that's total BS. Here's my test: would I rather that someone (anyone) rides a bike at least once in a while, or would I rather that they only drive their SUV? I think us cyclists need all the friends that we can get

-Jim

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
    I would ignore those who preach that unless you're Lance that you are somehow disrespectful of the biking tradition - that's total BS. Here's my test: would I rather that someone (anyone) rides a bike at least once in a while, or would I rather that they only drive their SUV? I think us cyclists need all the friends that we can get

-Jim
    For all of you out there using T shirts or football jersys to ride in-- Get a proper cycling top. They are far more comfortable than other clothing for cycling. Doesn't matter if its a "Team" top or a plain colour. The only thing is bright colours get seen.

Talking about tops and their designs, does any one know where I can get a "HAS BEAN" top. They were around about 10 years ago and are based on a can of Heinz Baked beans for the design. Either that or any other suitable tops for an older rider that is gradually getting past his best by date?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H23
    Bravado.

Cycling talk is heavily laden with it. Its all bullsht, you know. Reading these dicussion boards, one would think everyone is like Mario Cippolini.
    Well said.

Rainbow stripes, polk-a-dots, and the like, expresses something very specific and IMHO should not be worn by anyone who didnít earn it. Wearing team colors if you arenít on the team always seemed inappropriate to me. I do however tend to wear something that makes some sort of statement, or even endorses a favorite product.

I try to get at least 100 miles a week in on the road as training for mountain biking or Adventure Racing. Many rides are done as recovery or long slow endurance rides. I donít worry about who dropped who unless Iím in an organized race. To do otherwise is bad Karma.
    Gravity kills.

My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ComPH, when you say "team jersey" are you talking about a pro team like US Postal, CSC, Liberty Seguros, etc., or the local shop-sponsored team?
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to get a jersey advertising Coruba Rum ,I'm deffinatly on that team !
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Farm-Frites jersey, I don't think that the team exists any more, but it is not a shop jersey. I think it was sitting there for a long time and he saw an opportunity to unload it. He charged me about $70 for it, so I don't feel like not using it,but I don't want to be black balled by the high performance guys either....

cab horn
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey
    Go ahead and wear your team jersey...... Or better yet one from your favourite company. Maybe a "Corona" shirt or something that represents your views on things other than cycling.
    Hockey
    Remember to look at the date when posting.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP
    I dont think you should wear a team jersey unless you can give an impression that you could ride with a team. I find T shirts get clammy and uncomfortable, so always wear either a plain cycling jersy or a soccer shirt.
    I will agree about wearing the correct Type of cycling top, and and even go so far as to say, do not wear any other type of top. A good quality cycling top is designed to fit you when on the bike. Those pockets on the back are not just a design feature, they are necessary for the small items like hankerchief and wallet, that you can't put anywhere else because you don't have pockets in your proper lycra cycling shorts. The tops are made of a special material that will "Wick" away the body moisture so keeping you dry, when all that effort goes in. On top of that they are a nice bright colour so that you can be seen.

One of the ways you can support your favourite "team", is to look like them. Bloody good advertising for that team, that may also give them some profit in royalties to keep them going. I wonder how many of you have been to a Football match and seen the two opposing teams of supporters all dressed in ordinary clothes. They will be in their teams colours, and I wonder how many of those supporters even know how to kick a Football.

I now want a "Team" top, but Cant find one for the team that I support. That team, The "Has Beans" that was around in the mid 90's

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest you wear what you like. Ride to satisfy yourself, not arrogant braggarts or know-it-alls.

Ignore those who have a need to pontificate about the equipment, technique or clothes that are "acceptable" for beginners or anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I suggest you wear what you like. Ride to satisfy yourself,..."
    Thanks for the support. For you fast guys, I already feel humbled and self-concious when you are passing me. Furthermore, when I hear ridicule from youngsters, it is more understandable, but when I hear it from 50+ folks, I feel I am maybe commiting some more serious no-no. I depended on the LBS to suggest what to wear and what will make me and my humble skills more acceptable to others that are more skilled at the sport. Anyway, I am done whining, enouth of you guys are understanding and supportive, I am fully intending to ride, enjoy it and provide pleasure for those who are laughing at me - just remember, passing me is not really a big accomplishment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast