Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG! Sudden Onset Hypertension!!

I had a routine dr's visit this week and the nurse came in to do the usual vitals. When she did the BP she asked me if I had high blood pressure. I said "No, it's always 120/78" Well it was 152/92! She repeated it and it only went down a few points.

When the Dr came in we discussed it and he took it again. Still high, but a little lower (140/86)

I stopped by 3 drug stores during the day and got about the same results. I have since borrowed an automatic cuff and I keep getting somewhat the same reading, est on the systolic (first number)

I contacted my primary care dr and left him a note about this and I am awaiting his call.

I visit a Dr every 3 months so I have a pretty good idea of my BP and it always has been normal 120/78. Now since my last Dr's visit in July my BP has jumped 30 pts on the high end.

I ride about 100 - 120 mi a week and keep my HR in zone 3 and 4. I've never had any heart problems (not real ones, a few scares but they were always nothing cardiac) and I don't have any family history of hypertension.

I have been drinking a lot of Splenda laced drinks over the past summer as well as Gatorade and HEED. I also take Enduralytes in the summer for long rides. Now that the weather here is cooling, I'll back off of the Enduralytes, and change over to just water for hydration.
    I'm a bit puzzled as to why the sudden jump in the BP despite my exercise, active lifestyle and good eating habits.

Feel free to pontificate on my dilemma as I await the Dr's call.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a doctor (but I play on..., oh,nevermind) but, I copied the quote below from "Splenda"'s website:
    Sodium
    Low sodium: Contains no more than 140 milligrams per serving.
    Sodium free/salt-free: Contains less than 5 milligrams of sodium per serving.
    Light in sodium/lightly salted/reduced sodium: If a food is light in sodium, its sodium is decreased by at least 50% compared to the regular food. Reduced sodium means it has less than 25% less sodium when compared to the regular food. And lightly salted means the food has 50% less sodium than normally added.
    Remember!
    Though sodium doesn’t affect blood glucose levels, people with high blood pressure or who are at risk of high blood pressure may need to consume less.
    http://www.splenda.com/living-with-d...ng-food-labels

Bill
    My Bikes
    Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google 'splenda blood pressure" and you will see there are reports of people experiencing similar symtoms as yours. Those reports are not necessarily scientific proof but people respond differently to things and there are lots of reason to believe artificial (manufactured - i.e. non-natural) products may cause a myriad of not so nice results.

If I were you I would try to eliminate it for some time and see how your body responds. Try Stevia instead. And by the way it is 'normal' for the body to adjust BP in response to body needs/issues. BP is not a constant number. I believe the key is not to treat the high BP but initially try to determine what is causing your natural body response to raise your BP. Your body is a lot smarter than most doctors. But they may be able to help you determine the cause. Insist on it with your Dr. BP meds may simply cover up the real problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it. - Will Rogers

Banned
    My Bikes
    rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    I had a routine dr's visit this week and the nurse came in to do the usual vitals. When she did the BP she asked me if I had high blood pressure. I said "No, it's always 120/78" Well it was 152/92!

Was she hot?

North Orange County, in Southern California
    My Bikes
    1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to increase your potassium intake. Supplements are not the way to do this; for myself, I take plain yogurt with a banana for breakfast. Collectively, this gives me about 1000 mg of potassium in one meal, a little more than 25% of the RDA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sodium intake (i.e., even a pizza) will raise my BP. I take no salt, drink no electrolytes. We don't even have salt in the house. However, you can't get away from it with processed foods or restaurant foods. Somehow, I do my 40 mile rides in the summer just on a bit of plain old water. When I was doing longer rides, I used some gatorade, never anything fancier. Those were the ancient days, before all the new-fangled stuff.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before my surgery last year i was on a low sodium, low sugar diet, my bp was 117/76 with hr 52 day of surgery. After recovering i went off that diet and an now have border line hypertension. I can go back to that diet but i like salt/sweets. When i ride most of the day is normal or below, night is higher until rising. Pizza is just plain good. When it gets colder i will go back to low sodium, low sugar and see what happens.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm down, calm down, or you're going to get your blood pressure up.

All of the above is cool and all, but a lot of people become hypertensive in their 50s regardless of how careful they are. I work with a nurse who is slender and works out daily (she's pretty hot as a result) but is on both anti-hypertensives and lipid lowering agents.

One day, no matter how healthy a lifestyle we live, we all are going to croak. That's just the way it is. Get used to it.

PS. No. I really had a very good day at the office.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been drinking a lot of Splenda laced drinks...
    I use the pink stuff. I'd rather die like a lab rat than experiment with all these unknown sweeteners.

Let us know what the primary doc says.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuck: Artificial sweetners suck and just make you want more sweets. I use honey or sugar in the raw that is sort of light brown and big granules. Ya kinda need to get used to honey since it gives a different flavor of sweetness to cereal or coffee but its better than those artifical things. bananas are almost natures perfect food, they digest easily and enter the bloodstream fast and water what can be said about water its better for you than any drink out there.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qmsdc15 View Post
    Was she hot?
    That was my initial thought, but no, she was cute, but not "hot." As a further proof, when the Dr (male) did it it was the same.

My Primary Care Dr called and after a bit of discussion we decided to limit my sodium intake and take my bp several times a week and record it. I'll then see him in 2 weeks. He was happy that the diastolic seems to have come down to a more normal level.

Weak, I appreciate your professional input, and indeed we all face father time. I guess I was just a bit surprised at how quickly it jumped. It's always been pretty much the same for as long as I can remember, and then suddenly it jumped 30 pts (systolic)
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work with your doc. Two years ago, I went in for my flight physical, and I was 200 over 100. I never cared what it was before, because it was passing, but I'm guessing it was at least a 60 point rise. Tt was a real nightmare for several months -- I lost many thousands of dollars of income from cancelled flights and had to cancel several vacation trips because there was no way to get there.

The good news was that I got my medical back in four months. I've been monitoring my BP at home and tonight's reading was 92/56.

BP is really variable, and highly stress related. Unfortunately, high BP can be a big stressor in itself. Mine goes up about 40 points when I walk into a physician's office.

It's OK. You can get it under control. Also, as my doc keeps reminding me, a single reading is meangless -- what matters is the average value.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    All of the above is cool and all, but a lot of people become hypertensive in their 50s regardless of how careful they are.
    You people must stick together or something. My doc told me the same thing when I went to see him earlier this week with my semi-annual sinus infection. He put me on Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide a couple of years back. He's a young snot, but I put up with him because he's a road cyclist as well, and he understands. In addition to sinus infections, bikes, and rides, we discussed blood pressure. He sez my pressure is OK now and the pump appears to be in good shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=BP is really variable, and highly stress related. Unfortunately, high BP can be a big stressor in itself. Mine goes up about 40 points when I walk into a physician's office.

It's OK. You can get it under control. Also, as my doc keeps reminding me, a single reading is meangless -- what matters is the average value.

Paul[/QUOTE]

+1 get a cuff and a stethoscope and take it in the morning, and evening for a few weeks,,,
    that is really the only way to be sure ...mine averages at least 40/50 points higher in the hassle of theDR's office ...Its a very common situation,tobe much higher there,,,(wife is a nurse and double checks my home readings so I know they are accurate..)
    Bud

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    BP is really variable, and highly stress related. Unfortunately, high BP can be a big stressor in itself. Mine goes up about 40 points when I walk into a physician's office.
    Ditto. I also suffer from white coat hypertension.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tolerate penicillin? If not, you may have a wider range of mold sensitivity. Artificial sweeteners and Gatorade type drinks contain mold based ingredients. Sugarless gum is loaded with them. Yup, it can drive up blood pressure. bk

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a further proof, when the Dr (male) did it it was the same.
    Was he hot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead View Post
    You may want to increase your potassium intake. Supplements are not the way to do this; for myself, I take plain yogurt with a banana for breakfast. Collectively, this gives me about 1000 mg of potassium in one meal, a little more than 25% of the RDA.
    1000mg potassium from yogurt and banana, interesting. Poster did not state his age. At 75 I can tell you that this is the way high BP starts out. Arteries harden. You can squirm and wriggle, and the BP will go up and down as you keep checking it, but sooner or later the doc will put you on a BP medication. Make it clear you want one that DOESN'T affect your sexuality. (docs don't give a damn, they got tunnel vision).
    My BP medicine steals minerals from my blood somehow. Doc recommends banana and tomato juice to supplement them. I get NASTY cramps on the inside of my thighs several hours after a ride. Taking potassium supplements made them go away. I was told this is kinda dangerous, so I called the doc to find out how much was too much. No answers. She elected to have me come in for a blood draw. She then said the amount I was taking was ok. That was 100mg before ride, 100mg during. The banana and tomato juice seemingly had no effect on my cramps.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was he hot?
    I'm not one to judge this. He's 50ish and balding. If I were so inclined, I don't think I would consider him "hot" by any stretch.

Regarding "white coat hypertension" I've never had it before. I had breast cancer in '02 and through it all my bp was always normal. I visit a dr of some sort at least every 3 mo for routine visits, and never had WCH before. On the day before father's day I woke at 5am with nasty painful indigestion that would not go away. At 6am I woke the wife and said "lets be safe" and I went to the ER. Spent Father's day weekend in the Hosp, A-OK. Got a cardiac stress test on Wed, passed with flying colors. Never had any abnormal BP.

Today at 6AM the BP was 152/92 as I prepared for the Sat AM club ride. Did a good workout on the local "hill" and spent most of the time in HR zones 3 and 4. My BP was 129/86 about 30 min after the ride, and 122/67 about an hr later.

I'll just take it AM & PM and record it for my Dr visit in 2 weeks. Meanwhile, low sodium and minimal stimulants.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good info so far. Here are a couple other things to check out:
    >Could this be a result of monitoring? You have labile BP but because of infrequent monitoring you just didn't know it before?
    >Diet has already been mentioned. I can't emphasize too much how important diet is to BP. As I've gotten older my tolerance for salt and other chemicals has significantly reduced. My experience is that a single meal in a Thai/Chinese/high salt food restaurant can significantly increase my weight and BP. Why? Water retention. I"ll leave it to you to do the calculation on how much fluid that salt added to your body. Good news is that it all gets eliminated in a few hours with a bit more active kidney function.
    >Are your readings just screenings or are they taken as clinical diagnostic measurements? There is a specific protocol for a clinical BP.

Above all don't get too excited, hot or not hot

We posted close together: Seems you are on the right track.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

North Orange County, in Southern California
    My Bikes
    1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chugger3 View Post
    1000mg potassium from yogurt and banana, interesting. [...]
    Docs will tell you that potassium supplements are risky, because they know that you can have heart problems if your potassium levels get too elevated.

I think the potassium angle is important, as many people with hypertension tend to focus exclusively on sodium intake. I think a wise approach to managing hypertension involves reducing sodium intake and appropriate potassium intake (the RDA is 3500 mg). Do most folks get 3500 mg of potassium in a day? I have no idea, but I don't believe I was getting that much.

Regarding monitoring of BP, I believe it is good to eliminate as much variability as possible from the process. I check my BP first thing in the morning, every day. It does change throughout the day, but if you check it at irregular intervals it will make it very hard to know how you're doing with respect to BP in general.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped using Splenda when I got serious about losing weight. Stevia (Stevia in the Raw, Truvia, or Purevia) is an organic sweetener that is derived from a leaf and the glucosytes aren't metabolized by the body. Splenda and Equal are bad for your health. My sister has epilepsy and she can't take any of them. Since Splenda is the inverse of the sugar molecule, it tricks your body into thinking it's sugar and your pancreas releases insulin, which can cause a hypoglycemic state. For many peole this triggers the desire to eat more.

Hopefully it was an anomaly (the bp).
    An’ though the rules of the road have been lodged
    It’s only people’s games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped the splenda. Gotta get some stevia.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hypertension is hypertension, regardless of where or when it is measured.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was he hot?
    *Snicker*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast