Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there riding after a knee replacement?

A friend of mine (who's about fifty-eleven years old) saw my facebook status about riding yesterday and he complimented me but said he can't ride because he had knee replacement surgery (almost a year ago).

I want to smack him around verbally for making excuses, but then I started thinking, "Maybe one can't ride after a Knee replacement surgery, or how long is the usual recovery period from that type of operation before one can ride again?"

So let me know if I'm being insensitive, or if I can lay the smackdown on him!
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course you can ride again, it's just not as aggressive in most cases. I know several people that have had knee replacements and they have had varying results based on what appears to me to be weight and activity level before the surgery. Fat, lazy people that get knees replaced are still fat and lazy.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to ride with a good rider a few years ago and I knew he had knee problems but he disappeared off the Scene. Later I saw him and he had had both knees replaced over the space of a year or so. When I saw him he asked me if The gridiron Metric was still running as he wanted to do a decent ride after all those slow Flat one he had been doing. If he was thinking about the Gridiron- he had recovered.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife rides, knee replaced when she was 70. She was told by one physical therapist not to ride, but the MD surgeon said phooey, no limitations or restrictions on activities.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2008 Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling is one of the few things I'm allowed to do with a knee replacement.
    1999 Giant TCR 2T
    2009 Giant Cypress DX
    2008 Giant Sedona

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine had a double knee replacement, his Docs talked him into getting on a bike. Good therapy according to them.
    Join the fight to stop Diabetes! You can help improve the lives of those living with this disease!Sponsor me in the 2012 Tour de Cure in Redmond Washington!

http://main.diabetes.org/goto/ericsalinas

My Bikes
    Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is going in to get hers replaced next month and the Doc said cycling would be the best thing she could do, I hope so I miss my ridding buddy.
    "It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done for someone you love". Blazeman, Warrior Poet

11 Giant Talon 1, 10 Masi 3VC, 08 Long Haul Trucker, 08 Felt Curbside, 99 Specialized Allez

My Bikes
    2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the last year and a half, the recovery / rehab from knee reconstruction in April of 2008 (replaced ACL, mended MCL, miniscus trimming, resurfacing of patella and femur - the full meal dead, and by many accounts a much more difficult recovery than replacement) is what led me back to serious cycling from a 30 year hiatus.

Although before the surgery I had been riding a cruiser around town and spinning at the gym, as soon as I was able after the surgery, I got very serious about spinning. Then this spring, my wife and I took the cruisers to do the 35 mile section of a local club ride, and a few months later, did a 50. It was at that point that I was bit by the bug. Later this summer I got a serious road bike. My wife who commutes to work on her crusier was inspired to get a road bike as well.

Over the course of the summer, I have progressed from thinking at the first club ride, "This is fun, but those guys in spandex riding a hundred miles are nuts," to yesterday, completing my first century myself. My wife did her first metric century.

Because of the miniscus wear and questionable ACL in my non-surgical knee, I don't run or play tennis or vollyball. I can ride and plan to do so as long as there isn't ice on the road. When I can't ride the road bike outdoors, I'll continue to do spin classes and ride on the trainer at home. I feel as though cycling has given me a new lease on my athletic life.

The point of my story is that your friend's knee replacement shouldn't be a reason not to ride, it shoud be a reason to ride.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I questioned him about when he could become more active, and he cited not being able to play tennis. I think he needs to get a bike.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest