Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   riding the "old" bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/683433-riding-old-bike.html)

rck 09-27-10 09:24 AM

riding the "old" bike

I currently have 2 road bikes, a Dean titanium with the more aggressive geometry and my "old" (1990)c-dale aluminum sports tourer with a longer wheelbase and shallower angles. I typically ride the Dean and leave the c-dale leaning up against the dining room table. This year, however, I find myself riding the c-dale a bit more and rediscovering how comfortable it is to ride. I use the same tires (25-Bontrager hard cases) on both bikes but find that the ride on the older bike is a lot smoother. I know that we've discussed this before but it, at least to me, provides real world evidence at how significant bike geometry really is.

ahsposo 09-27-10 09:34 AM

Material isn't immaterial (sorry) but you're right. Geometry rules.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about bicycle dynamics.

xizangstan 09-27-10 09:39 AM

How much longer is the "old" bike? And if it's noticeably better, why wouldn't all bikes have the longer wheelbase?

I'm a mountain bike guy myself, riding the same GT Xizang titanium bike since new in 1995. I still love my bike and have been morphing her to use more for touring and recreational. I keep wondering if something more like what I had as a kid - the Schwinn with the big spring in the front - wouldn't be more stable. I remember as a kid, I could pedal and ride for a long distance with no hands on the handlebars. What's the difference?

CraigB 09-27-10 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by xizangstan (Post 11530220)
...if it's noticeably better, why wouldn't all bikes have the longer wheelbase?

Because "bettter" is not only subjective, but also highly dependent on what purpose the bike is designed and ridden for. If you want a comfortable ride, or the ability to tour with a load, the longer wheelbase and relaxed angles are "better." If you want rapid response and quick handling, and the absolute maximum power transfer, shorter and steeper geometries are "better."

stapfam 09-27-10 11:50 AM

Two bikes and I will use Boreas in preference to the TCR----up to around 60 miles. That means most rides in other words. It is comfortable- fits like a glove and it goes. But above 60 and a few aches start to come in. Not much but a bit of back and butt ache.

The TCR is CF and gives a harsher ride- Bars are a bit higher- wheels are heavier but give a bit of suspension- is a couple of lbs heavier and has a triple fitted. It also has to be eased down the fast downhills as it does not handle as good as Boreas at speed. But it does have a few saving graces. The triple comes in handy when the legs start getting tired towards the end of a ride and it goes uphill a treat. May not seem much but definitely my Century bike out of the two.

But my "Old" Road bike is an OCR3. A Bike that got me through the learning curve when I changed over to road bike and has done a few holidays to the mountains. Not a bike I like to ride nowadays as I have progressed above it's ride capabilities but it still gets taken out occasionally. Not often as when it does go out- I remember why I replaced it.

Pamestique 09-27-10 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by xizangstan (Post 11530220)
How much longer is the "old" bike? And if it's noticeably better, why wouldn't all bikes have the longer wheelbase?

?

It's interesting you ask this question. I just had a custom bike built. Spent a ton of money on it but I find myself still riding the old bike (just used it this weekend for a metric ride) as I find it more comfortable (and maybe comforting since I rode it a long time). The new bike has a shorter wheelbase and is extremely responsive, almost scary quick. I am sortof wishing I had it built with a longer wheelbase as well.

Oh well, change is good and healthy. Goven time, I 'll probably never want to ride the old bike again.

rck 09-27-10 05:50 PM

xizangstan-the Dean has a wheelbase of 98.6cm the C-dale is a bit over 104cm. As Pamestique
points out, the shorter wb gives a much more "responsive" ride.

skilsaw 09-28-10 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 11530108)
.... and leave the c-dale leaning up against the dining room table..

A man after my own heart. My 2 bikes hang out in my dining room because I don't have any other room in my apartment. But I like it this way.

Jimbored 10-01-10 11:20 AM

I still love my old steel Tomassini, I have been riding and racing it since 1988. not sure how much longer I will find replacement parts for it though..It will be a sad day when I can no longer ride it. My mates have worn out and broken a lot of bikes during the last 22yrs, but my classic Italian is still going strong.