Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intense dis-interest.

Is that even possible? Is intense dis-interest an oxymoron? It seems that maybe disinterest should be described with less dedicated sounding words but hey, what do I know?

Well whether intense dis-interest is possible or is not, it is what I've got.

I don't know if the weather, which has really sucked this season, has finally beaten down my bicycling spirit or if it's just my normal mood swing thing. I have three main hobbies and I tend to swing from one to another for long periods of time. I just don't have any passion for the bikes or bike related stuff these days. Oh, I still commute and ride the Hellbent for Breakfast ride with the guys and I still take rides along the lakeshore and the ponds. It just doesn't seem to be as much of a priority as it had been recently.

To illustrate, consider the following:

*I get out of work at 05:30 tomorrow morning and I don't have to come back until October 18th...and I have no rides planned!! I'll ride and I'll enjoy it, but I don't seem to be anxious about the prospect of so much free time and cycling.

*The Forum is boring me to death, not due to lack of intelligent content and comments but I just can't seem to muster up the desire to delve into any of it. I still voraciously tear into the photo journal type ride reports, but that's about it.

*I've got several bike projects just sitting around waiting for my attention. Sigh.

So where is my passion leading to now? I think I'll go play with my toy trains for a while. I've got a layout that I passionately started a few years back that is begging to be finished and several vintage toy trains that are craving some good old track time! They've all been patiently sitting on the shelves waiting for the bicycling flame to burn down a bit and I believe their time has returned.

It'll take a while before I know for sure if this is an attention shift or weather related dis illusionment, but either way I'm gonna have some fun. I'll be popping around here occasionally to catch up a bit but I don't think I'll be a daily visitor during the next several months or longer.

So to those of you that might miss me...fear not as I'm still lurking about.
    To those of you who can't stand me...Ha ha, I'm still here.
    To the vast majority, who really don't care.... I know how you feel, neither do I.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    So to those of you that might miss me...fear not as I'm still lurking about.
    To those of you who can't stand me...Ha ha, I'm still here.
    To the vast majority, who really don't care.... I know how you feel, neither do I.
    I'm glad to know you'll be lurking about Enjoy playing with the trains!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's no more an oxymoron than militant pacifist.
    An’ though the rules of the road have been lodged
    It’s only people’s games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can relate. I got back into racquetball this spring and I got hooked and my bike has spent the last 3 months in the basement on the stand. I just played in a tournament and had the time of my liife. I am getting ready for mountain biking season also, gotta have varied interests.
    Rubber Side Down Racing Team
    My Other Home:http://DonGaleHomes.com

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least part of it is the Law of Undulation that C.S. Lewis refers to in the Screwtape Letters. It's just built into our humanity, a hard-wired (for those that feel more comfortable with that concept than referring to our creator and all that) mechanism probably in place to keep us from burning out, hurting ourselves, and becoming hopelessly OCD.

What happens if you take the time off from riding? You fail to qualify for the TdF next year?

Perhaps some of it is how competitive the ride reports have come. I thought I got a bike to ride around and have fun, not to crush some souls.

Of course, crushing souls has some benefits. But it's a mistake to think I'm a failure as a cyclist because I only turned in 50 miles this past week. And that's a lot for the average citizen. Just not the average BFer.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    *I get out of work at 05:30 tomorrow morning and I don't have to come back until October 18th...and I have no rides planned!!
    Perfect!

Join me for the Ten Parks Tour, Leaf-Peeper Edition on Sunday October 17, 10am at Cobbs Hill Park.

The Ten Parks Tour is a signature Rochester Bicycling Club ride, and represents Rochester and Monroe County in the New York Bicycling Coalition's Best Rides of New York State.

This ride starts and ends at Cobbs Hill Park in the city and connects nine more east side city, county and town parks. From the hills of Mendon Ponds Park in the south, to the beach at Durand-Eastman, the route winds through city neighborhoods, suburban streets and rural roads, with an optional lunch stop at Vic and Irv's in Sea Breeze, and a final pass up the Genesee River gorge (past all three falls!) and through downtown Rochester.

The route can be split into southern and northern portions for a shorter ride.

Meet at Cobbs Hill Park by the pond and tennis courts (corner of Culver Rd and Norris Dr by 490) at 9:45. We roll at 10am sharp.

I'm your ride leader, and generally I lead this ride from the rear. I let the fast kids go off the front, and settle in for a nice conversational ride. I've led this ride for three years now, and I've never left a rider behind.

PS: I have at least one other 'bent rider planning to join us.
    Last edited by tsl; 09-27-10 at 07:09 PM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rewind one year. I think you went through the same thing, same time last year. I suspect it is a seasonal thing. Take some time off and come back just as you did this spring.

The forum, yes, I agree and am planning a lengthy absence myself. I would rather spend the time in the woodshop or putting in even more miles on the bike.
    Ionnsaich aig casan latha an-dè, bi beò airson latha an-diugh, bi an dòchas airson latha a-maireach.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were giving away your bikes and denouncing cycling and cyclists then I would suggest that maybe you should talk to somebody.
    See ya' later.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranky,
    When you do go out for a ride, please take your camera. I, and I'm certain many others, will sorely miss your your photo journals.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    c o d, IMHO humanity would be a boring hash if everybody had just one interest or if everybody thought the same. I just fixed one of the toy (non daily driver) Mustangs today, WOO HOO! Intermittant (12.3% of run time) problem for a few weeks. It felt good to break away from the bikes for awhile, which was a break away from the motorcycles... and so it goes, the bike rack goes on that Mustang tomorrow for a ride in Galveston.

Enjoy life, whatever you do.

Brad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Choo Choo!! Have fun.

I'm taking a 3 month break also, starting October 12th. I'm going to learn to enjoy watching my L-4 and L-5 vertebrae fuse together.

Have fun, and come back. Variety is the spice of life.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess you'll be needin' this.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    This ride starts and ends at Cobbs Hill Park in the city and connects nine more east side city, county and town parks. From the hills of Mendon Ponds Park in the south, to the beach at Durand-Eastman, the route winds through city neighborhoods, suburban streets and rural roads, with an mandatory lunch stop at Vic and Irv's in Sea Breeze, and a final pass up the Genesee River gorge (past all three falls!) and through downtown Rochester.
    fify

I went on this ride earlier this summer when Bruce was leading it, it is a great ride!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you make basically this same post a few months ago?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    I went on this ride earlier this summer when Bruce was leading it, it is a great ride!
    Will you be joining us for the Leaf-Peeper edition?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're gonna miss you, Crankster.

Perhaps playing with those trains for a while will get you back on track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In any physical activity it's important to have some off time to allow the body to mend. Don't fight it, just go with your own rhythm.
    Uhmm...

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Intense disinterest" is not an oxymoron because you are thinking of the current misuse of the word "disinterested," which today is pretty much synonymous with "uninterested."

In fact, "disinterested" is a positive word. It used to mean "freedom from bias or from selfish motives," or "impartial." So intense disinterest is merely intense impartiality. But I'm afraid the word has lost its more positive, original meaning and has fallen into misuse by the uneducated masses who think they are educated and erudite, so I don't blame you for thinking that the word reflects your lack of interest in cycling.

Another commonly misused word is "enervated." It looks like it should mean "energized, lively." But its meaning is completely opposite. It means "tired, drained of energy." So you are likely intensely enervated. End of vocabulary lesson for today!

Luis

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny,

Have fun doing whatever you do. Your picture posts will be missed, at least by me anyway.
    Trains are cool and time consuming as well, have fun with them and see you later.
    If you didn't care we would not be replying to a thread you didn't care about, you care dude you can't fool us.
    no goals , just ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Will you be joining us for the Leaf-Peeper edition?
    Maybe, things are a little hectic. I'm getting married the Sunday after...

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I still commute and ride the Hellbent for Breakfast ride with the guys and I still take rides along the lakeshore and the ponds. It just doesn't seem to be as much of a priority as it had been recently.
    This is hardly disinterest. If you stopped altogether and didn't miss it that would be a different problem altogether.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.