Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Woohoo! Two days to go!

    Until we fly to Paris for our boat/bike tour.
    This one.
    http://freewheelholidays.co.uk/boat-...ris-montargis/
    Weather forecast is cool and mostly cloudy, but I'm sure we will have a great time anyway.
    I don't think we will be taking a laptop in the interest of traveling light, so a report will have to wait for our return.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  2. #2
    Senior Member seemunkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olney, MD
    My Bikes
    2007 Lemond Alp d'Huez, 1984 Bianchi Specialissima
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks fantastic.
    What a great way to indulge in French meals and not worry about putting on weight. Have a great time and bring back pictures or it didn't happen.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
    Sydney J. Harris

  3. #3
    Gone DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gone to other places
    Posts
    20,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    green with envy
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

  4. #4
    Broom Wagon Fodder reverborama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Posts
    1,145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! My wife and I are looking into tours like this for next spring or fall. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

  5. #5
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great tour! Take plenty of pictures.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,541
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tres cool.

  7. #7
    Senior Member xizangstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Posts
    1,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the option of taking your own bike? And I'm crude, but I have to ask: How much does something like that cost?
    Who is John Galt?

  8. #8
    Gone DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gone to other places
    Posts
    20,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    Do you have the option of taking your own bike? And I'm crude, but I have to ask: How much does something like that cost?
    http://freewheelholidays.co.uk/broch...010_LR_web.pdf
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

  9. #9
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    Do you have the option of taking your own bike? And I'm crude, but I have to ask: How much does something like that cost?
    I'm sure you could take your own bike if you don't mind the logistical hassles. We've done a European cycling tour before, and just went with the bikes they supplied. Since it's easy terrain, short distances and slow paced, we find their bikes acceptable. YMMV.
    Price is in LB, because the tour operator is based in Britain. May to August it is 859 lb, October 799.(per person) For some reason, they do not run in September. That is when we would have liked to go.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  10. #10
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from 2 weeks in France. You will absolutely love it. They are a very cycling-friendly country. You are allowed to bring home 2 bottles of wine per person, duty free.

    And U.S. baguettes will taste like cardboard when you come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  11. #11
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French food and wine- Could almost forget the bike with those on hand.

    Breakfast and you may be disappointed- I'm not- providing the croissantes are Fresh and plentifull from the local Bakery. Evening meal is provided but if you can suss out a local town one night and find the Restaurant that the "Locals" go to- then join them. Try the local Speciality -even if it still walks away from the plate- it will be fantastic. Desserts are not great so no Pie but "Tartes"are fantastic.

    Suggested menu- Moules Marrinierre- Coq au Vin and Creme Broulet for desert. Then finish off with the cheese board. Wines and it is up to you but Try the local wine- It will be the best the locality produce and will be great but do finish off with a Cognac. And there is a Normandy Spirit called Calvados. As you will not be too far from there- give it a try but as a Pre-Dinner drink. Just one glass will be enough as they call it a Digestif in France. But Watch out for it if the "Patron" sees you like it- He may pull his special reserve out and that is akin to "Hooch"

    Midday meal and most towns have a good array of restaurants but if Cycling you want something lighter. Easiest way is to buy your own ham, cheese and butter and a couple of baguettes from the local shops. But I always find a Takeaway in most towns. Cheaper and quicker than restaurants and you can always get a French Sausage called a Merguez- along with french fries with mayonaise.There are always the "brasseries" where you can get a quicker meal and at a more economic price but still allow a couple of hours to eat there.


    As you can tell- I need the Green Envy emoticon but my advice is to just use the bikes to go from Eating Place to Eating place. You will love the Holiday but you may be putting on weight. Cater for thet when you get home.

    Oh--Tap water is drinkable but may not be the best you have ever tasted. Bottled water is cheap in France but as the wife found out- Take your own litre bottle to the Vineyards and the Wine is cheaper. And more palatable than the Tap water.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  12. #12
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    French food and wine- Could almost forget the bike with those on hand.

    Breakfast and you may be disappointed- I'm not- providing the croissantes are Fresh and plentifull from the local Bakery. Evening meal is provided but if you can suss out a local town one night and find the Restaurant that the "Locals" go to- then join them. Try the local Speciality -even if it still walks away from the plate- it will be fantastic. Desserts are not great so no Pie but "Tartes"are fantastic.

    Suggested menu- Moules Marrinierre- Coq au Vin and Creme Broulet for desert. Then finish off with the cheese board. Wines and it is up to you but Try the local wine- It will be the best the locality produce and will be great but do finish off with a Cognac. And there is a Normandy Spirit called Calvados. As you will not be too far from there- give it a try but as a Pre-Dinner drink. Just one glass will be enough as they call it a Digestif in France. But Watch out for it if the "Patron" sees you like it- He may pull his special reserve out and that is akin to "Hooch"

    Midday meal and most towns have a good array of restaurants but if Cycling you want something lighter. Easiest way is to buy your own ham, cheese and butter and a couple of baguettes from the local shops. But I always find a Takeaway in most towns. Cheaper and quicker than restaurants and you can always get a French Sausage called a Merguez- along with french fries with mayonaise.There are always the "brasseries" where you can get a quicker meal and at a more economic price but still allow a couple of hours to eat there.


    As you can tell- I need the Green Envy emoticon but my advice is to just use the bikes to go from Eating Place to Eating place. You will love the Holiday but you may be putting on weight. Cater for thet when you get home.

    Oh--Tap water is drinkable but may not be the best you have ever tasted. Bottled water is cheap in France but as the wife found out- Take your own litre bottle to the Vineyards and the Wine is cheaper. And more palatable than the Tap water.
    For the 7 days of the tour, all meals are supplied, including a box lunch, although I expect we'll be doing one or two cafe lunches along the way. We have one day in Paris before the tour starts, and two days at the end, so we will have lots of opportunity to spend our meal budget I'm sure.
    We have reservations for dinner in the Eiffel Tower on Friday. I know it's spendy, but hey, it's Paris. Not likely to get there again soon.
    We know all about long lunches in Europe. No such thing as fast food, and that suits us just fine.
    Counting hours now.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  13. #13
    Administrator CbadRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the bridge with Picard
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Posts
    5,519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had dinner at the Eiffel Tower when I was there. Get there at least 30 minutes early because the lines are unbelievably long. And unfortunately you have to watch for pickpockets because of the crowds, but security is very visible and pretty attentive.

    Paris is fantastic. Almost everyone speaks a little English, and their public transportation very easy to use. Have a great time!
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

  14. #14
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    I had dinner at the Eiffel Tower when I was there. Get there at least 30 minutes early because the lines are unbelievably long. And unfortunately you have to watch for pickpockets because of the crowds, but security is very visible and pretty attentive.

    Paris is fantastic. Almost everyone speaks a little English, and their public transportation very easy to use. Have a great time!
    Thanks for the tip. We will be sure to be there early.
    Language wouldn't be a problem even if there were no English speakers there because I'm taking my own translator. My wife is English/French bilingual.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  15. #15
    Recreational/Utility bjjoondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Posts
    1,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    green with envy
    I'm with DnvrFox, the Mrs. and I would LOVE to be able to do a "bike and barge" tour in Europe, SIGH! Still playing the Lotto, have a most excellent time!!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,541
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post

    Paris is fantastic. Almost everyone speaks a little English, and their public transportation very easy to use. Have a great time!
    Don't bet on it. This is the thing that drives Parisians crazy. Why do we assume everyone speaks English?

  17. #17
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    Don't bet on it. This is the thing that drives Parisians crazy. Why do we assume everyone speaks English?
    I do speak French but I find that most shops have at least one English speaker that wishes to practice their "Foreign" Language. If not then the Sign language and hand signals are very effective.

    My only mistake is when I am in the middle of No-Where and in my Best "French" say something. That is generraly when the person I am talking to gabbles on at 90mph and with a dialect that a knife could cut.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  18. #18
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All three of my European cycling trips have been in early October. The weather was like here in southern Canada, northern US, a bit of everything, but generally pleasant. I prefer some cool and rain over summer heat and crowds. Enjoy!

  19. #19
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings from Paris.
    The boat/bike trip is over,and it was marvelous. Weve spent the last couple of days in Paris seeing the sights. Im using the hotel lobby computer, so there will be no pictures to show until we get home tomorrow. Also, this french keyboard is driving me crazy, all mixed up, and I cant even figure out how to type an apostrophe.
    Trip report sometime tomorrow.
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 10-12-10 at 07:25 PM.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  20. #20
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope the trip was as enjoyable as you say- but you have lots to report.

    And French keyboards are great. Gives an alternative conotation to the "F" word without you even thinking about it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  21. #21
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    We're back

    We returned home yesterday mid day. We were picked up at the airport by our son in law, and taken directly to their home for Thanksgiving dinner. A very nice welcome home, I must say.
    It was a stroke of luck that we flew out of Paris yesterday rather than today. If you have been paying attention to the news, you will know why. One day strikes in protest of austerity measures in that country are shutting the place down, one day at a time. We flew in one day ahead of the last strike too.
    Anyhow, it was early to bed last night after dinner. I have one day to get time zone adjusted before heading back to work tomorrow.
    Lots to do today, so I don't have time to do a comprehensive report here. I'll give you all a little taste, and if I have time on the road this week, if and when I have internet connections along the way, I'll add to it.
    The bike trip was mostly very enjoyable. The weather was not too co-operative the first couple of days, but by the third day, it turned around nicely.
    Just a few pictures now, more later.
    The boat which was our home away from home for a week. It was very comfortable with surprisingly spacious cabins, and large eating and common space.


    Our Dutch guide, Wil.


    Part of our group. Suzanne and I were among the youngest in the group. There were lots of people in their 60s and 70s. They were all a great inspiration to me.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  22. #22
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some make shift rain gear. We got wet on the first two days.


    Lots of really old towns and villages along the way.


    The first day included a visit to the Chateaux at Fontainbleu. Lots of interior pictures, but I'll just throw in a couple for a taste.



    Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 10-13-10 at 02:06 PM.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  23. #23
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little bit about our first day on the boat. We boarded Saturday afternoon. We were supposed to go out through the lock before 6:00 pm Saturday so we could get an early start Sunday morning as the lock closes from 6:00 pm to 8:00 am.
    Well, due to higher than usual boat traffic in and out of the lock, the water level above the lock had fallen by about 20cm, enough that our boat was not fully afloat.
    Consequently, we did not get out of the lock until Sunday morning, when the water level had risen enough for the boat to move.
    The late start meant there was not enough time for us to do the last 15km to Melun by bike,so we had a nice river cruise that day instead.
    Here's a shot of our very capable all Dutch crew.
    From left, first mate Peter, (also husband of the captain)
    cook, Afra, cycling guide, Wil, chamber maid, Sophie, and ship's captain, Els.



    Els is a supremely competent boat driver. It was amazing to watch her squeezing into the locks that the boat was made to fit very precisely.
    Check this out. One more coat of paint, and this baby won't fit.


    Our cook was also amazing. She came up with fantastic creations every evening. I heard no complaints from anyone about the food.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  24. #24
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the first morning's ride before the rain hit.


    Some scenery along the way.





    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  25. #25
    cycling fanatic Ken Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Posts
    1,056
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks live it was a great trip, despite the rain. I will never tire of photos of bicycling in Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •