Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flex Time for Riding!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Flex Time for Riding!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 09:44 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Flex Time for Riding!!

I finished up a visit with a customer around noon yesterday. Their facility was near the start of a popular metric we do. So, I grabbed a quick sandwich, changed clothes and did a 62 miler in gorgeous NC Fall weather. The breeze made it more challenging as I had a 10+ mph headwind for the last 30 miles but I just took it easy.

Hills are starting to getting steeper and harder for some reason. The leaves had not started to change color just yet. Cotton balls were in full blossom though. Farmers were out cutting the summer crops-which had taken a beating with the hot and dry weather.

I then changed back into my work clothes and went to the office and worked until 11 pm. It's nice to be able to have the flexibility to juggle work with hobbies!
Old 10-09-10, 04:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Last year I had to go and see a customer on a Saturday morning. He was only about two miles from the longest steepest hill on the South Downs Way and is a 1 mile long average 15 but sections at 17% hill. This hill is scary driving down it but uphill does not seem too bad. So I took the bike and after dealing with the customer- out came the bike and I was going to ride it. The customer wondered what was going on but he must have had an idea when I turned up in cycling clothing. He thought I was mad as a couple of his friends ride bikes and they won't go near this hill. And they are in their 20's.

So left the car with the customer and started riding with a few extra miles to warm up. That is one long hill. I am still wondering where the 15% sections are but did know that the 17% seemed to be for most of it. That hurt.

So only a 7 mile or so ride and another milestone I did not have to go near again. But I was home by 1pm. No way could I-or Would I- work for another 10 hours or so afterwards.

Spike Milligan