Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Contador too...

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norwegian research suggests that this substance increases muscle size and converts slower twitch cells to fast twitch, and advantage for bursts of energetic output. It appears to work for the rats... how fitting...

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If true it might bring his uppity attitude down a bit. A bit too full of himself I'd say.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "insider knowledge" group have been muttering about this under their collective breaths for quite sometime. The podcasters I listen to won't be shocked, that's for sure.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided Contador was an a-hole a couple of years ago. Too cocky.
    Last edited by RonH; 09-30-10 at 06:02 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheater!!!Cheater!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is true, I'm going to have to quit following cycling, and follow a 'clean' sport. Like baseb....uh no. Footb.... nope. I got it! Hocke..... not that one either. Any one for Ice Dancing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rumors have been going around for some time about his use of banned substances.

His theme song from my Ipod playlist: Mr. Lucky Man by The Kennedys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    If this is true, I'm going to have to quit following cycling, and follow a 'clean' sport. Like baseb....uh no. Footb.... nope. I got it! Hocke..... not that one either. Any one for Ice Dancing?
    Badminton seems pretty clean to me.

Bowling is good too. You can drink beer, eat a burger and some fries (and in some countries, smoke a cigarette) while you play. Hows that for a sport?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    I take it you haven't heard about the Ice Dancing judging fixes?

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also a non-steroidal anabolic and metabolism accelerator, through a mechanism not well understood. Its ability to increase the muscle-to-fat body ratio makes its illegal use in livestock popular to obtain leaner meats.
    That is from Wikipedia

A UCI official stated they think it is from bad food.
    The level required to be a violation is 400 times that found in Contador.

Don't rush to judgement yet, unless that is what you like to do.
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

Homophobia is so gay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    The rumors have been going around for some time about his use of banned substances.
    Same as with anybody at the top: "Nobody can be THAT good without cheating!!" I find it interesting that the results show a level 1/400 of the "legal limit", and came out of a "superlab", not your average drug-test facility. Makes his claim of food contamination somewhat credible.

I'd love to see Andy win the Tour, but not this way - it just tarnishes the whole affair.

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdogvinn View Post
    Bowling is good too. You can drink beer, eat a burger and some fries (and in some countries, smoke a cigarette) while you play. Hows that for a sport?
    Take it outdoors, and add very fit women in bikinis (and very fit men in only board shorts for the ladies) and you just described beach volleyball. Something I am very thankful my wife plays every weekend.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I don't know enough to know whether the fact that his results were fine both the day before and the day after really means anything. Ditto for the extremely low percentage. Could be residual from using it to train, and it was so low it only appeared on the one test because of other factors? Who knows, but the sport sure didn't need this!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    Same as with anybody at the top: "Nobody can be THAT good without cheating!!" I find it interesting that the results show a level 1/400 of the "legal limit", and came out of a "superlab", not your average drug-test facility. Makes his claim of food contamination somewhat credible.

I'd love to see Andy win the Tour, but not this way - it just tarnishes the whole affair.

SP
    Bend, OR
    Not that I am a Contadour fan- but the amount is so minimal from what could be detected by the "Usual" high testing facilities- that I do wonder if it is cross contamination- or some other "Valid" excuse.

But every time I start following a Professional rider- they get caught by some drugs test. One reason why I just enjoy the sport and admire their skills.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Raleigh 12sp road, Specialized Hard Rock MTB, 1977 Schwinn Hurricane 5-speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found the report dismaying.... He was supposed to ride with us in the Dempsey Challenge here in Maine this weekend, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt re: 1/400th amount found in the sample. But we've raised over $1,300,000.00 for a great cause, and I and over 1500 others are going to enjoy the day!

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

But every time I start following a Professional rider- they get caught by some drugs test.
    Hey, no worries, stapfam, Millar did a great ride for the silver today (men's elite TT), and it's pretty unlikely he'll ever dope again.

1/400....hmmm, yeah....

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Innocent until proven guilty or in this case banned from cycling. I despise character assassination based upon speculation. Let the guys whose job it is to figure this out, complete the investigation and come to a conclusion.

What I find annoying is that an alleged doping story in cycling eclipses in the media all other possible stories. Right now the world championships are going on and people are focused on Contador's positive. Give me a break.

What do I think? I think professional athletes push the limit on all fronts from dirty playing, cheating and drugs. It is up to the officials and the watchdogs to keep them in line and punish the offenders.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a Contador fan. However, in this case I'm inclined to believe him, not that my opinion matters. But, I've been fooled before.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sort of believe him to be honest. I am not a big fan of him either.
    Let they officials do their thing and let the cards fall as they will.
    I mean 1/400th?Get real.
    no goals , just ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I read this thread and associated information, it appears that a pro cyclist is allowed to have a certain concentration of this compound in his or her blood stream or urine without penalty as long as the concentration does not reach a certain threshold. If the concentration of this compound in the sample was indeed 1/400 (or 0.25%) of the threshold, then I'm wondering why the big fuss and why it was even reported in the news. Based on the data, it would appear that there is no violation. I must be missing something here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good column from Velonews with interesting answers to some of the questions all this raises. My take is that it's accidental, but the general public sure won't see it that way and it's another huge black eye for the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ Looks as if I was indeed missing something. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast