Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All-Terrain Bikes - Need Guidance

My husband (age 65) and I (age 58) have decided to dump our circa late 70s and mid 80s 10-speeds for all terrain bikes. I need some guidance here. LLBean has two models on sale, today's the last day, and I want to know if these are considered good bikes and if these are good prices.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54965...5480-sub2&np=Y

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65032...5480-sub2&np=Y

I know LL Bean is a good store for clothing and camping supplies, but what about bikes?

Also, my husband's bike is a Huffy from 1978, weighs a freakin' ton, and my bike (my daughter's old bike), is from the early 80s. Does anyone even WANT these bikes anymore?

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Also, my husband's bike is a Huffy from 1978, weighs a freakin' ton, and my bike (my daughter's old bike), is from the early 80s. Does anyone even WANT these bikes anymore?
    There's always someone who needs a ride.

http://www.neighborhoodbikeworks.org/donation.html

Hope your in Philadelphia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    , yes, this "Phillygirl" is in Philadelphia! Thanks.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phillygirl, Looks like you can donate your bikes! LL Bean bicycles are third party built and LLB branded, depends on who built them whether they're any good or not, certainly better than what you presently have. BikesDirect is an economical alternative, but will require some assembly/tuning. Ditto if you're mail ordering from LLB.

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you recommend these bikes over LL Bean's? We are virtual naifs when it comes to this stuff. We decided to go all terrain because we ride in parks and up the mountains and such, and the ten speeds just aren't practical. Also, I gain a lot of weight (which I am now losing), and the 10-speed just wasn't comfortable anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    Phillygirl, Looks like you can donate your bikes! LL Bean bicycles are third party built and LLB branded, depends on who built them whether they're any good or not, certainly better than what you presently have. BikesDirect is an economical alternative, but will require some assembly/tuning. Ditto if you're mail ordering from LLB.

Brad
    Well, yeah, we'll have to assemble them or, if worst comes to worst, take them to a nearby bike shop to be assembled. We were contemplating driving over over to the Marlton LL Bean today.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you go to a Local Bike Shop (LBS) and discuss your interests, riding ability, etc., and see what they suggest. There will always be bikes on sale of one type or another. Personally, I would go with a respectred brand such as Specialized, Trek or similar. It is important that the bike fit you properly and be adjusted properly. LL Bean is not going to do that for you. Your cables will need to be retensioned, and other adjustments will need to be made as the bike "ages." A good LBS will provide adjustments for up to a year, sometimes longer, and will stand behind the bike if things break or don't work right. In particular, the shifting, involving front and rear derailleurs, can be tricky.

I wouldn't jump at a bike just because it is on sale. I would want one that is "right" for me. That is the difference between a bike hanging on the rafters and one being ridden.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-03-10 at 07:31 AM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At that price range, you're in the low-end of the quality scale for serious bikes. Should be better than something from Walmart, though. I'd probably try to buy something local so I could test ride them, get the right size, etc.

The comfort issues could probably be resolved without going to mountain bikes.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox is right. A visit to an LBS (or a few) would answer more questions better than we can. You may find that a hybrid type bike suits your needs better than a MTB. Hard to say based on the information given so far about where you plan to ride. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find bikes for the same prices as the catalog bikes. Even if you have to pay a little more, the knowledge and service from a good bike shop is well worth it. The less you know, the more they can help.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, first of all, I'm not getting email notifications, although I thought I set my settings that way.

Thanks all you guys. I guess I was just jumping at a sale by a respected name. We have a bike shop nearby, I think you're probably right. It's not just for comfort we decided on all terrain, Stephen, it's because we go camping twice a year and they're just more practical in the state parks. We're not racers or anything. And when we bike locallly, we got to Pennypack Park because I'm a scaredy--cat on the road. So all terrain seemed like the best idea.

thompsonpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali_Pine View Post
    There's always someone who needs a ride.

http://www.neighborhoodbikeworks.org/donation.html

Hope your in Philadelphia.
    I would seriously suggest not donating the Huffy, but rather to dispose of it. This is not a sarcastic post. I am serious about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonpost View Post
    I would seriously suggest not donating the Huffy, but rather to dispose of it. This is not a sarcastic post. I am serious about it.
    Well, it IS over 30 years old! Is there something specific about Huffys that make them dangerous or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it IS over 30 years old! Is there something specific about Huffys that make them dangerous or something?
    Take it to the local bike place shown. They can determine whether it's useful, or not. What many of us think is a piece of junk, is gold to someone with no junk at all.
    That K2 is a brand name. REI sells them. Go to your local bike shop and ask them, or go to REI when they have a sale.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad that you are "Leaning" towards the local Bike shop. Although many of us here will always go for the "Big" name bike- I know my LBS does carry some of the cheaper range within those big names. In fact in the current economic climate- they carry quite a few. They also carry a few names that I have never heard of but they are up to the quality of the lowly Big Name bikes- but a lot cheaper.

Not all of us need that Expensive bike and you have proved it by keeping a Huffy and your "Old" bike ridable for that long. But a Cheaper bike from a local shop with the service they will provide will hopefully give you a better ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In either case you may need a bike shop to do adjustments after you get either ,
    the bikes arrive from the Asian factory in a box, only partially assembled.

then the Bike dealer has people or themselves to assemble the bike and fine tune
    many small adjustments,
    with either LL , or BD, you are skipping that assembly step
    to save money , then you have to sort out the that part yourself ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, we'd have definitely taken it to the bike shop, either way. We are going there tomorrow, it's not open today.

I have 2 more questions. I HATE those tiny little seats and I hate leaning forward when I ride. I want a soft seat that fits my butt and I want to sit up straight like I did on my old SEARS bike when I was a kid. Do I have options?

And are there actually any good "Made in the USA" brands?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, we'd have definitely taken it to the bike shop, either way. We are going there tomorrow, it's not open today.

I have 2 more questions. I HATE those tiny little seats and I hate leaning forward when I ride. I want a soft seat that fits my butt and I want to sit up straight like I did on my old SEARS bike when I was a kid. Do I have options?

And are there actually any good "Made in the USA" brands?
    There are custom frames made in the USA. These would cost considerably more. A bike generally consists of a frame and components. Almost all the frames are made in Asia, (to the specs of the bike "manufacturers") - a whole lot in the same one or two plants. The frames are then combined with different levels of components (the better components are more - sometimes much more - costly). The components can be manufactured anywhere, but likely in Asia. The components are then combined with the frame to make a bike. You will find the same components on many different bikes.

I personally know of no mass-produced bikes any more made in the USof A.

There are big "comfy" seats available - check out Wal Mart and the like. Many of us find that all that seat contact creates areas of chafing on longer rides. In theory, the seat is designed to support your "ischael tuberosities(sp??)" - your "sit bones." They are a pretty small part of your seat area.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-03-10 at 03:36 PM.

thompsonpost
    Never mind.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not a Townie or similar? I saw my son hop an 8 inch rail with one, and I've gone trail riding with one.

Even though I wouldn't recommend you do either with it.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband (age 65) and I (age 58) have decided to dump our circa late 70s and mid 80s 10-speeds for all terrain bikes. I need some guidance here. LLBean has two models on sale, today's the last day, and I want to know if these are considered good bikes and if these are good prices.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/54965...5480-sub2&np=Y

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65032...5480-sub2&np=Y

I know LL Bean is a good store for clothing and camping supplies, but what about bikes?

I have a friend that has two K2's, a K2 Zed mtb and a hybrid. He really enjoys both. I just bought a 29er mtb from bikesdirect.com. Don't jump at something that's on sale until you've decided what you want and what size you want. Than you can wait for a sale or shop around a bit more, until you find the deal you want.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    There are custom frames made in the USA. These would cost considerably more. A bike generally consists of a frame and components. Almost all the frames are made in Asia, (to the specs of the bike "manufacturers") - a whole lot in the same one or two plants. The frames are then combined with different levels of components (the better components are more - sometimes much more - costly). The components can be manufactured anywhere, but likely in Asia. The components are then combined with the frame to make a bike. You will find the same components on many different bikes.

I personally know of no mass-produced bikes any more made in the USof A.

There are big "comfy" seats available - check out Wal Mart and the like. Many of us find that all that seat contact creates areas of chafing on longer rides. In theory, the seat is designed to support your "ischael tuberosities(sp??)" - your "sit bones." They are a pretty small part of your seat area.
    We don't plan on any marathon length rides, at least not yet. We're strictly recreational riders. I do have a fairly comfy seat I'll probably transfer if I can't find a nice new one, but I'm sure I will be able to find a nice new one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Why not a Townie or similar? I saw my son hop an 8 inch rail with one, and I've gone trail riding with one.

Even though I wouldn't recommend you do either with it.
    At 58 and almost 66, we don't plan on hopping any rails!

thompsonpost
    We don't plan on any marathon length rides, at least not yet. We're strictly recreational riders. I do have a fairly comfy seat I'll probably transfer if I can't find a nice new one, but I'm sure I will be able to find a nice new one.

At 58 and almost 66, we don't plan on hopping any rails! :)
    I'm 56 and do it on an Ellsworth dualie ("Distance"). Depends on how you feel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 58 and almost 66, we don't plan on hopping any rails!
    I hopped curbs on my mtn bike until last year, at age 70, I missed and went kerplat on my face on a cement sidewalk. Decided it was time to stop!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: Huffies - As a former Huffy owner I'd advise not letting anyone downplay them. In fact before I bought a new bike I'd take the old ones to a good shop (One that is focused on you and not on your bike and that doesn't diss your ride) and let them do a thorough repair and adjustment on them. For the use you describe that may very well be enough for you for now. Our old Huffies are now in the hands of someone who is doing exactly what you describe.

Later, when you have figured out exactly what you want to do with your bikes and have done some extensive shopping , upgrade your ride. There are literally hundreds of different brands of bikes. Some are well known, some are not. All are "the best" for someone.

If I am reading your posts correctly you are mainly making a mental shift in how you look at the bike and its' uses. The next step is to match that to the almost infinite variety of options available. That make take some time and some miles. You'll know when that has happened. Then you can part with your cash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast