Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Epic Finish to my 1st 1/2 century charity ride. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/685058-epic-finish-my-1st-1-2-century-charity-ride.html)

amillerinmaine 10-03-10 02:12 PM

Epic Finish to my 1st 1/2 century charity ride.

Completed the 50 mile portion of the Dempsey Challenge in Maine today in a respectable 3 hours (including couple of stops at the 10 & 20 mile rest breaks). But it was the end of the ride that truly made my day. I hit some broken pavement about a mile from the finish, but everything seemed ok; but making the last turn onto the footbridge leading to the finish shoot, the rear went flat:eek::eek: What to do? I did what any self-respecting glory-hound would do; I threw the bike over my shoulder and ran to the finish with cheers ringing in my ears and flash bulbs going off everywhere. It was a EPIC ending to my first 1/2 century. I was humbled (truly) to hear the MC state 'now that's a great example of the true spirit of those who came to support this wonderful cause". :thumb:

stapfam 10-03-10 02:29 PM

You did it all wrong- 3 hours for your first 50 miler and you are supposed to be dead about 10 miles from the finish. You obviously hit the Broken pavement too hard- What were you thinking of? Trying to stay with the 20year olds that were doing a sprint at the end no doubt:(:(

And then to show your lack of mechanical skills by not repairing the puncture in 1min 30secs as any repspecting old "Geezer" would have done is a bit over top. Then to sprint the last mile carrying your bike only shows one thing------------

-------You are no longer a newbie to distance riding. Well done but don't do it again- You might get DnvrFox thinking he will have to emulate you after the 3rd Goathead of the morning. :innocent:

Allegheny Jet 10-03-10 02:56 PM

Nice, really nice ride report. Congrats on your first 50'er! You may have cyclo cross in your future!

billydonn 10-03-10 03:04 PM

16.6 mph..... Hmmmmm........Must be a whippersnapper of barely 50!

robtown 10-03-10 04:35 PM

pics or it didn't happen :)

The Weak Link 10-03-10 06:02 PM

The Evie Stevens of old coots!

amillerinmaine 10-03-10 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by robtown (Post 11563558)
pics or it didn't happen :)

Hoping someone publishes one of the pics.......But now the rest of the story; after my ride and the great folks at the Specialized tent repaired my rear tube, and I had my lobster, corn on the cob, baked potato, and a 'custom' Gritty's Ale....I got back on the bike and rode back to home Augusta, 27/28 miles. Note to self, next time I think it'll be a good idea to ride nearly 30 miles after a 1/2 century....DON'T Do IT!!!!!!! And for the record, I'm 57 years young......

seemunkee 10-04-10 08:01 AM

You had to ride home? Which raises the question of how did you get there?

BlazingPedals 10-04-10 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by amillerinmaine (Post 11564467)
Hoping someone publishes one of the pics.......But now the rest of the story; after my ride and the great folks at the Specialized tent repaired my rear tube, and I had my lobster, corn on the cob, baked potato, and a 'custom' Gritty's Ale.... I got back on the bike and rode back to home Augusta, 27/28 miles. Note to self, next time I think it'll be a good idea to ride nearly 30 miles after a 1/2 century....DON'T Do IT!!!!!!! And for the record, I'm 57 years young......

The ride's not finished yet. No pie.

Pat 10-04-10 10:20 AM

Good job. It is kind of nice that "bad events" conspired to give you a memorable finish.

jr59 10-04-10 10:48 AM

Way to finish!

Oh yes... way to cross the finish line!

Food sounded good, ride home... not so good!

reverborama 10-04-10 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by amillerinmaine (Post 11564467)
... lobster, corn on the cob, baked potato, and a 'custom' Gritty's Ale...

Clearly I am doing all the wrong charity rides!

AzTallRider 10-04-10 11:20 AM

Way to go. I would have been tempted to ride my rim the rest of the way.

xtrajack 10-04-10 12:29 PM

I had wanted to ride the Dempsey Challenge, family issues prevented it. Congrats to the OP and his ride.

BluesDawg 10-04-10 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 11567450)
Clearly I am doing all the wrong charity rides!

Same here. Saturday, I got a grilled chicken sandwich, a bag of chips, a cookie and a glass of iced tea.

jppe 10-04-10 02:28 PM

Running in riding shoes! That's stuff of legends!!

AzTallRider 10-04-10 02:29 PM

The club I just joined is running a grueling century early next month, the "Heart of Arizona". We are only grilling hamburgers and such, but we are giving away merino wool arm warmers. Lobster sounds better!

amillerinmaine 10-04-10 04:01 PM

Thanks Folks! Bear in mind, the Dempsey Challenge was started by Patrick Dempsey to honor his mother and other cancer survivors in Maine. We had 34 states and 5 countries represented, 1.1 MILLION Dollars was raised AFTER expenses for the Dempsey Cancer in Lewiston, Maine. Burgers & Fried Chicken was also available for any of the riders, who had to raise a minimum 0f $150 to participate, there were over 1500 riders, and the top individual fund raiser was sponsored to the tune of $10,300+........ A great cause, a great ride (although 37 degrees at start was a little chilly, an all around great day! Hopefully some of you bf'rs can make it next year.

amillerinmaine 10-04-10 04:03 PM

You had to ride home? Which raises the question of how did you get there?

Got a ride with "TOP' another forum member, but he was doing the century, so I finished a little bit before him.....................