Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-06-10, 10:26 AM   #1
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling

Anyone else read/reading this book? I have the Kindle version on my iPhone, and some of it is absolutely hilarious, like:

"God is awesome and works in mysterious ways, like a pair of SRAM Red shifters".

"...asking cyclists anything is a bad idea. The problem isn't that cyclists can't agree; it's that they're hyper-obsessive and anal. A simple question like, "What kind of saddle should I get?" will somehow result in a twenty-minute discourse on brass versus alloy spoke nipples."

He pokes fun at everything, especially cycling "subcultures", and particularly those who pamper their bikes, give them 'souls', and love the bike more than the riding. Funny writer (the blogger BikeSnobNYC) that nails what cycling is all about. Good light reading.
Old 10-06-10, 10:30 AM   #2
Ultraslide

Bikes: 73 Raleigh Supercourse, 99 Specialized Stumpjumer, 08 LeMond Tourmalet
I've been reading the blog for some time now. When he is on I laugh out loud. Planning to get a dead tree version of the book soon.
Ultraslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 10:55 AM   #3
badger1

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Yep; as above, been following the blog for quite some time. Bought the book when it came out (can't bring myself to use the stickers, though). Best cycling commentator out there, in my view, by quite some margin.
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 11:02 AM   #4
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Bikes:
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
His blog is much better than most of the book (but there are some funny bits in the book). It's trying to be both snarky and a useful bike guide. And he can't really go with his usual in-jokes either.
rm -rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 11:15 AM   #5
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Bikes:
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reading his blog is like panning for gold. A lot of it is dirty (vulgar/profane), but the nuggets within are pure gold.
akansaskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 11:41 AM   #6
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Haven't read the book. I can't believe Louisville is not hip enough for him to make a BRA here.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 01:19 PM   #7
badger1

Bikes:
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
"A lot of it is dirty (vulgar/profane), but the nuggets within are pure gold."

That's according as to taste; I happen to like the naughty bits, but then I have a fairly juvenile sense of humour. However, "Gold" there is indeed; a recent favourite nugget:

"However, every so often a cycling product emerges during Interbike time that is so compelling, so revolutionary, so I-would-flush-my-kitten-down-the-toilet-to-have-that-right-now awesome-tastic that it's enough to drive you mad with frothy desire. Such is the case this year, for clothier to the "I have a flat tire on my Serotta--do I need a new wheel?" set Rapha have finally ladled out ("ladled out" is skincare jargon for "dropped") their long-awaited skincare range ... " (BSNYC September 23)
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 03:37 PM   #8
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
Just started it today. Can't wait to get into it.
ctyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 05:42 PM   #9
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700
I wouldn't call it profane,risque fits. Haven't gotten the book yet but picked up on the blog recently. It's a daily thing now.
XR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 08:46 PM   #10
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
His blog is much better than most of the book (but there are some funny bits in the book). It's trying to be both snarky and a useful bike guide. And he can't really go with his usual in-jokes either.
This is a good summary -- I love the blog, I enjoyed the book. Lots of good stuff in the book, but the blog is a little more "inside" and a lot funnier.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-10, 09:30 PM   #11
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Since The Weak Link often quotes Jean Paul Sartre and referred to Bikesnob's blog, I have read the blog a couple of times. I think some of the material is very clever just not funny. The problem I have is that without it being funny, even though it is clever, I find it boring.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-07-10 at 07:31 AM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 09:51 AM   #12
Neil_B

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
Since The Weak Link often quotes Jean Paul Sartre and referred to Bikesnob's blog, I have read the blog a couple of times. I think some of the material is very clever just not funny. The problem I have is that without it being funny, even though it is clever, I find it boring.
You nailed it. And his column in Bicycling doesn't even rise to the level of clever.
Old 10-07-10, 06:39 PM   #13
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I agree with the Panning for gold analogy. Lots of boring stuff but occasionally, he publishes something that is good and thought provoking.

I cannot count myself as a big time fan of bikesnob though. Just an "occasional reader".
trackhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 07:13 PM   #14
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
From earlier this week:

All of this raises an important question: "What is the most expensive cycling discipline today?" This query is especially crucial if you work for a bicycle company, since it's vital to know which component of the cycling demographic is most desperate to spend too much money on crap that will either break for be "obsolete" by season's end. For many years, the common wisdom was that the biggest spenders were roadies, who would actually pay for snake oil if you told them it was good for lubricating ceramic bearings. Then came mountain bikers and their lust for vulgar Kleins and machined anodized purple boutique componentry. In turn, both of these groups were then eclipsed by the triathletes, who thought nothing of paying thousands of dollars for a slight aerodynamic advantage while at the same time employing a stem riser and riding in sneakers.

Now, this might not be laugh out loud funny but I like it. Il n'y a pas de hors-texte.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 08:00 PM   #15
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Meh. Don't like him. Too snarky and not nearly funny enough to justify it. He's like the stuck up kid at school that picks on everyone else.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 09:51 PM   #16
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Meh. Don't like him. Too snarky and not nearly funny enough to justify it. He's like the stuck up kid at school that picks on everyone else.
+1 What he said.
badamsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 06:22 AM   #17
ahsposo 
Titanic Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
I wouldn't call it profane,risque fits. Haven't gotten the book yet but picked up on the blog recently. It's a daily thing now.
Yeah, he's a lot of fun. He gets a visit from me right after I check in to BF.

Living near a ever growing art school I see quite a few fixie hipsters and his take on their posturing lends extra humor to what I see on the street.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 06:32 AM   #18
ahsposo 
Titanic Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
You nailed it. And his column in Bicycling doesn't even rise to the level of clever.
Does anything in Bicycling rise to any level of interest? My son gave me a subscription last year (his school was doing a magazine fund raiser and this was as close as any offering got to my interests - American Psychopath wasn't offered nor was Popular Masochism) and what a waste of paper! I did enjoy the mild hypocrisy the Bike Snob exhibited using that publication as a venue.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-10, 09:48 AM   #19
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
His latest blog entry, with a receipt for Contador's purchase of Meat, Clenbuterol Seasoning, and "Transport in Plastic Blood Bag" (for no extra charge), really had me laughing. Especially when the number of people eating was changed, in typical expense report fashion, because "Vino ate separately".

Sometimes lame/boring; sometimes merely clever, and sometimes hysterical.
Old 10-09-10, 08:29 AM   #20
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Hence the title "Bike Snob."
XR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 08:03 PM   #21
xyxax
xyxax

Bikes: 66cm gunnar roadie, Rival, DT Swiss 1900
I'm with you AzTR. We live on the same side of Brooklyn and his posts on commuting make the salmoning and shoaling just about bearable.
I also have a Gunnar, a Roadie, 66cm. I am (was) 6'7".
xyxax is offline   Reply With Quote