User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful weather + New Long Haul Trucker..

Gonna be upper 70's lower 80's here in my part of N.C. for the next week or so. Just took my Randonee back to REI and bought a new Surly LHT in "Blacktacular"...what great timing! Seems the wife will be seeing less of me for a while. Hope everyone enjoys the nice temps while they last. Ride safe! Is the weather nice where you guys are? I hope so.
    Remember, not getting what you want can sometimes be a wonderful stroke of luck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather here in the San Francisco bay area has been nearly perfect though a bit cool. It is one of the best places to ride bicycles in the entire world. You can have any sort of riding you want from long hill rides to long flat rides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's finally cool enough in sunny FLA to open the windows at night. Mid 80s during the day, 60s at night. The pool is a bit cool (you get used to 80+ water after a while).

Need photos of the new bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. As Kerlenbach says, "Need photos of the new bike".

We should start a 50+ LHT Club.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried several different road bikes. Each have their good points etc. However, when it comes to a touring bike, especially self supported tour rides, the Surly Long Haul Trucker does it all. Just a great bike.
    I have two tour rides planned in the next two months. The LHT will get me there and back with lots of fun.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its going to be a fantastic weekend ride in Indiana near Bloomington during the Hilly Hundred! I'm leaving my LHT home and riding my racer (Aegis). This is only because I'm riding with a group, and a bit more speed will be needed. Don't get me wrong, I love my LHT!
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Riley View Post
    Its going to be a fantastic weekend ride in Indiana near Bloomington during the Hilly Hundred! I'm leaving my LHT home and riding my racer (Aegis). This is only because I'm riding with a group, and a bit more speed will be needed. Don't get me wrong, I love my LHT!
    Not to hijack, but which Aegis? I have Trident's and Aero Svelte's.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather here in southern Wisconsin has been beautiful. I'll be out on my new Long Haul Trucker, blue velvet, today as well. Week after next I'll be riding in the Outer Banks.
    It's a good day to ride.
    --------------------------
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom View Post
    The weather here in the San Francisco bay area has been nearly perfect though a bit cool. It is one of the best places to ride bicycles in the entire world. You can have any sort of riding you want from long hill rides to long flat rides.
    I used to live in Sunnyvale and my friends and you're right, one of the best places in the world to ride!
    It's a good day to ride.
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiffyjam View Post
    Gonna be upper 70's lower 80's here in my part of N.C. for the next week or so. Just took my Randonee back to REI and bought a new Surly LHT in "Blacktacular"...what great timing! Seems the wife will be seeing less of me for a while. Hope everyone enjoys the nice temps while they last. Ride safe! Is the weather nice where you guys are? I hope so.
    Not thats its any of my business but I'm curious. Why did you return the Randonee? Poor fit? didn't feel right or just didn't like it as much as you thought? Its been on my short list for purchase at time so I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    It's finally cool enough in sunny FLA to open the windows at night. Mid 80s during the day, 60s at night. The pool is a bit cool (you get used to 80+ water after a while).

Need photos of the new bike.
    Lets see if this works.. Not much done to it yet, but here it is!
    Remember, not getting what you want can sometimes be a wonderful stroke of luck...

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Not thats its any of my business but I'm curious. Why did you return the Randonee? Poor fit? didn't feel right or just didn't like it as much as you thought? Its been on my short list for purchase at time so I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks "

I had no real problem with the Randonee. Very sturdy bike with a nice supple frame that gives you a good soft ride. Good looking also. I had purchased a 58cm which bordered on being to big for me, plus I had never tried the bar-end shifters that come on the LHT. Add the fact that my Dr suggested using lower gears due to a recently developed left knee problem (patellofemoral syndrome) and I decided to try the LHT out. The bar ends feel great, crisp precise shifting and the ride matches the Randonee, plus I got 10% off the sticker. The Randonee has road gearing (50-39-30) whereas the LHT is 48-36-26. LHT is a bit quicker steering (which I liked ) with a head tube angle of 72 degrees vs 69 degrees on the Randonee. It what made the Randonee so smooth on the long straight stretches. Some say the LHT is a bit better for true loaded touring because of the gearing and reliability of the shifters but thats your choice. Nothing wrong with the Randonee, I wish I could have kept both. Around this time of year you can usually get a couple of hundred off on the Randonee, good luck and lets us know what you get.
    Last edited by Jiffyjam; 10-08-10 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Riley View Post
    One of my kids is in school at IU and I'd be there for the HH if we weren't going out west (Santa Fe) on vacation. I just got back from Indianapolis and the weather was beautiful. I'd rent a bike to ride in Santa Fe, but our schedule is already full. Weather here in NJ is just perfect right now too.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ENJOY!! If it wasn't for the fact, that the Mrs. and I are saving our pennies, (not a figure of speech!) for a Bike Friday Family Tandem Folder, I'd be seriously saving for a Surly LHT myself!! Have too much FUN!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stringbreaker,

I bought the Randonee in May and like it very much. As Jiffyjam points out, it does have road gearing, but I just changed in inner chain ring from 30t to 24t and now have a granny gear that is low enough (see my posts under Bicycle Mechanics). I bought the Randonee for the price, it's reputation, and its components, but I'm sure the LHT is a fine bicycle.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather here in SoCal is finally good after a week-long heat spell followed by cold rain for two days.

Riding the Bass Lake Powerhouse Double Century out of Clovis (near Fresno) this Sat. and the weather looks to be good for that ride too, neither too hot nor too cold (it was below freezing at the first checkpoint 2 years ago!).

Link here: http://www.fresnocycling.com/powerhouse/

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like this will be the first weekend ride in Phoenix this fall where the high temp isn't in triple digits. Expected high is only 89, which puts the ride temp in the low 80's - looking forward to it.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather is great here as well, 50-85.

I don't have a LHT. I guess my cross check will have to do.

Enjoy yourselves.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    The weather is great here as well, 50-85.

I don't have a LHT. I guess my cross check will have to do.

Enjoy yourselves.
    The Cross Check and the Pacer were on my list, LHT will do just fine for me.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    enjoy your LHT and this lovely weekend- what a combination!! My little green machine LHT is due for a perfect October's day ride on Saturday!

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tis a beauty in black! My husband has one although he complains about it. I love mine-LHT on bridge..jpg shown loaded with about 20 lbs. of produce from a farm market!
    Last edited by truckergirl; 10-08-10 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added info

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Las Vegas is finally decent for riding. Weekends weather is lows of 60 highs 82. Whew!

Love that new bike, enjoy and watch out for Truckers.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Surly LHT -- absolutely love it!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It amazing how many people love the Surly LHT. Here's a link to my blog with a couple of photos of mine.
    http://ctqbicycles.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by ctyler; 10-09-10 at 06:44 AM.
    It's a good day to ride.
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike looks great. Now go ride the hell out of it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast