Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

shoulder/back pain

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

shoulder/back pain

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 06:30 AM
khosch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
shoulder/back pain

Hi guys! I just got a new bike (electra townie original 8i - got the 8 gears as recommended by the majority of you). I really love the bike. I wanted something that would let me sit up and not put weight on my hands, as I am prone to numbness when I do that. But I get a pain in my left shoulder in the area I associate with keyboarding pain. I do spend most of my day at a keyboard and often get that same pain if I am using a laptop.

I just got the bike and have only ridden an handful of times; do I need to go back to the LBS or can you all recommend some adjustments? I am just 5'2" so I think that is part of my problem. But should I raise the handlebars - or lower them? I did raise them and tilt them more towards the seat, but still have the pain.

Looking for advice

Thanks!
Old 10-08-10, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Brompton H6L, DT Mini, DT 9FS, Dahon Ciao P8, Dahon Classic 3(x2), Dahon TR, R20, Raleigh Chopper III, Auto Mini Jr., Mercier Nano, Giant Anyroad2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at https://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/bike-fit; you may find some info to help remedy/eliminate your pain.
Old 10-09-10, 01:07 PM

Bikes: Thorn Rohloff eXp

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With increasing age, 60+, I have found the amount of backward sweep in my handlebars alters any shoulder/back pain. I now need 20° or more backward sweep to achieve comfort in the shoulders/back.

I also now ride with Ergon GP1 handlebar grips, the ones with a flat platform at the rear to spread the load on your hands.
I had my good bike stolen earlier in the year as I rode to a cycling rally. I had to use my old bike for the rally and surprised to find that I was in real hand pain using the old tubular rubber handlebar grips.

It may be worth trying some different shape or width of handlebars, plus some Ergon grips.

Last edited by julk; 10-09-10 at 01:13 PM. Reason: forgot to put Ergon grips in first posting
Old 10-09-10, 02:33 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Shoulder pain is not something I have experienced----Except for a Frozen Shoulder. It used to catch me if I kept my shoulder at a certain position and angle for a certain amount of time.

Luckily - after the first set of treatment I knew how to cure it without 6 weeks of Physio and time off work.

So even if it is not Frozen shoulder- You may have the hand/ bar position set up wrong. No easy way to check this out- but raise or lower the bars and see if the shoulder is still affected. See if your LBS can suggest a different ride position- Try raising the saddle-

Try anything to try and eliminate the pain. If you can't----- get to the quacks and get it checked out.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-09-10, 02:38 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Get a pair of these.
https://ironmind-store.com/Guide-Capt...ductinfo/1401/

Old 10-10-10, 07:36 AM

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have arthritis in my hands, and I find the best ergonomic grips for me are the Bontrager ones from Trek. I've tried a number of different brands. I have the Satellite Plus on one bike and the Satellite Elite on another. Try a pair - it's amazing the difference - not just in your hands, but all over including your back and shoulders. Your local Trek LBS should have them in stock.

BTW - I didn't like the Electra ones.