User Tag List

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post-Ride Leg Pain

My wife and I (60++) did a century a few weeks ago on the tandem. Not too tough a ride with 3500 feet of climbing mostly along the California coast, but with the last rest stop at about 80 miles my wife was toast and the remaining ride saw temps 95-100. There were two gentle climbs that ordinarily would have been nothing, but we were crawling. Went for a 20 mile ride 3 days later and every muscle in my legs hurt, not as bad as post-marathon, but as bad as I've ever felt on a bike. I drank like a fiend on the century, took electrolytes and didn't cramp so I have no idea what brought on all the muscle damage - must be just old age, but I'm open to other opinions.

There is nothing so psychologically daunting as dealing with real pain on a tandem, unlike a single where you have no one to blame but yourself.

The good news: we did 47 miles yesterday and I felt pretty decent.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously pushed it once the wife was finished. Hopefully no lasting damage has been done but take care for a while.

That does not mean stop exercising either. Just a good firm walk round the neighbourhood will get the legs moving again if you don't feel like a 30 miler up the big local hill on the Bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Obviously pushed it once the wife was finished. Hopefully no lasting damage has been done but take care for a while.

+1 on that. Sometimes I think a really long ride just isn't worth it due to the long recovery and missed rides during the recovery period.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot