Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    AMGEN Tour of California is coming to town

    The AMGEN Tour of California has selected the City of Claremont as the starting point for its grueling mountain Stage 7, which will occur on Saturday, May 21, 2011. Soon after the riders leave the quaint picturesque town of Claremont, they will face a long, brutal climb up Mount Baldy.

    The city of Claremont is our bike group's sponsor. It is home to The Claremont Colleges, and a 5-mile ride from home. The event takes place 2 days before my 55th birthday. I don't know if I'd rather be volunteering at the base, or standing on the mountain cheering them on! The local cycling community is very excited about being chosen as host city for Stage 7, and the activities leading up to the main event.

    Yesterday I rode Baldy Rd. to Shinn Rd. without stopping for the first time. You locals will know it's not an easy climb (OK, it's easy for you animals who've done it a while!). As I passed a cyclist who had stopped to rest, I heard him say "I need that gear!". My light-weight Roubaix Expert Triple is a good climber, but my legs did all the work.
    Last edited by Yen; 10-10-10 at 11:29 AM.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  2. #2
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    The city of Claremont is our bike group's sponsor. It is home to The Claremont Colleges, and a 5-mile ride from home. The event takes place 2 days before my 55th birthday. I don't know if I'd rather be volunteering at the base, or standing on the mountain cheering them on! The local cycling community is very excited about being chosen as host city for Stage 7, and the activities leading up to the main event.

    Yesterday I rode Baldy Rd. to Shinn Rd. without stopping for the first time. You locals will know it's not an easy climb (OK, it's easy for you animals who've done it a while!). As I passed a cyclist who had stopped to rest, I heard him say "I need that gear!". My light-weight Roubaix Expert Triple is a good climber, but my legs did all the work.
    Get the best of both worlds and be a Marshall up on the mountain. There is something special about watching the race with 5,000 others around you. Done it a few times for the TDF and the experience is unbelievable. 2007 and I rode out to the "Mountain" stage when the TDF was in the UK. Mountain Stage?-- It was more of a long slope but it did count for the Mountain Points.

    So the Roubaix still works then? but you are right- except it was more than the legs that did the work.

    Can tell you this will be an event to watch- providing you can get the right spot. Sitting as a volunteer at the base and you would miss alot- unless it is a circular route and you can watch the finish.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  3. #3
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Get the best of both worlds and be a Marshall up on the mountain. There is something special about watching the race with 5,000 others around you. Done it a few times for the TDF and the experience is unbelievable. 2007 and I rode out to the "Mountain" stage when the TDF was in the UK. Mountain Stage?-- It was more of a long slope but it did count for the Mountain Points.

    So the Roubaix still works then? but you are right- except it was more than the legs that did the work.

    Can tell you this will be an event to watch- providing you can get the right spot. Sitting as a volunteer at the base and you would miss alot- unless it is a circular route and you can watch the finish.
    Ha ha Doug -- The Roubaix only enabled my legs to do all the work. I claim full responsibility!

    The route begins in Claremont and ends at Mt. Baldy. I certainly would love to be on the mountain.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  4. #4
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    The route begins in Claremont and ends at Mt. Baldy. I certainly would love to be on the mountain.
    Our slope in the UK. Couple of pics to show the "Fever" of the event. First one does show the slope at 7am. Had to get there that early to book our spot. Got away after 4pm.

    Arrive..jpg Pelaton3..jpg Goudhurst2..jpg

    But plenty of other interest- This rider had ridden down from London and was on his way back after the event had passed. about 70 miles each way Didn't catch his name but he does remind me of someone and he had a slight foreign accent.

    Nicebike..jpg
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  5. #5
    OM boy cyclezen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Goleta CA
    My Bikes
    a bunch
    Posts
    3,011
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ANd Solvang decided to again host the TT. so a good thing

    not a good thing
    UCI has combined the ProTour Calendar with the Classics and Stage Races, which means that all Pro Tour Teams will ride (are required) all Pro Tour events.
    Which leaves some events out in the cold...
    T of C is not a Pro Tour event. Which leaaves it as hit or miss as to which Teams will actually send representation and what the level of ridership that representation means. Which means it may not be the class field it has been all these prior years...
    possible bummer...
    Golden rose, the color of the dream I had
    Not too long ago
    A misty blue and the lillac too
    A never to grow old

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •