Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-10-10, 11:11 AM   #1
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AMGEN Tour of California is coming to town

The AMGEN Tour of California has selected the City of Claremont as the starting point for its grueling mountain Stage 7, which will occur on Saturday, May 21, 2011. Soon after the riders leave the quaint picturesque town of Claremont, they will face a long, brutal climb up Mount Baldy.

The city of Claremont is our bike group's sponsor. It is home to The Claremont Colleges, and a 5-mile ride from home. The event takes place 2 days before my 55th birthday. I don't know if I'd rather be volunteering at the base, or standing on the mountain cheering them on! The local cycling community is very excited about being chosen as host city for Stage 7, and the activities leading up to the main event.

Yesterday I rode Baldy Rd. to Shinn Rd. without stopping for the first time. You locals will know it's not an easy climb (OK, it's easy for you animals who've done it a while!). As I passed a cyclist who had stopped to rest, I heard him say "I need that gear!". My light-weight Roubaix Expert Triple is a good climber, but my legs did all the work.

Last edited by Yen; 10-10-10 at 11:29 AM.
Yen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 12:09 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
The city of Claremont is our bike group's sponsor. It is home to The Claremont Colleges, and a 5-mile ride from home. The event takes place 2 days before my 55th birthday. I don't know if I'd rather be volunteering at the base, or standing on the mountain cheering them on! The local cycling community is very excited about being chosen as host city for Stage 7, and the activities leading up to the main event.

Yesterday I rode Baldy Rd. to Shinn Rd. without stopping for the first time. You locals will know it's not an easy climb (OK, it's easy for you animals who've done it a while!). As I passed a cyclist who had stopped to rest, I heard him say "I need that gear!". My light-weight Roubaix Expert Triple is a good climber, but my legs did all the work.
Get the best of both worlds and be a Marshall up on the mountain. There is something special about watching the race with 5,000 others around you. Done it a few times for the TDF and the experience is unbelievable. 2007 and I rode out to the "Mountain" stage when the TDF was in the UK. Mountain Stage?-- It was more of a long slope but it did count for the Mountain Points.

So the Roubaix still works then? but you are right- except it was more than the legs that did the work.

Can tell you this will be an event to watch- providing you can get the right spot. Sitting as a volunteer at the base and you would miss alot- unless it is a circular route and you can watch the finish.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 12:17 PM   #3
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Get the best of both worlds and be a Marshall up on the mountain. There is something special about watching the race with 5,000 others around you. Done it a few times for the TDF and the experience is unbelievable. 2007 and I rode out to the "Mountain" stage when the TDF was in the UK. Mountain Stage?-- It was more of a long slope but it did count for the Mountain Points.

So the Roubaix still works then? but you are right- except it was more than the legs that did the work.

Can tell you this will be an event to watch- providing you can get the right spot. Sitting as a volunteer at the base and you would miss alot- unless it is a circular route and you can watch the finish.
Ha ha Doug -- The Roubaix only enabled my legs to do all the work. I claim full responsibility!

The route begins in Claremont and ends at Mt. Baldy. I certainly would love to be on the mountain.
Old 10-10-10, 01:51 PM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
The route begins in Claremont and ends at Mt. Baldy. I certainly would love to be on the mountain.
Our slope in the UK. Couple of pics to show the "Fever" of the event. First one does show the slope at 7am. Had to get there that early to book our spot. Got away after 4pm.

Arrive..jpg Pelaton3..jpg Goudhurst2..jpg

But plenty of other interest- This rider had ridden down from London and was on his way back after the event had passed. about 70 miles each way Didn't catch his name but he does remind me of someone and he had a slight foreign accent.

Nicebike..jpg

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-10, 10:40 PM   #5
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
ANd Solvang decided to again host the TT. so a good thing

not a good thing
UCI has combined the ProTour Calendar with the Classics and Stage Races, which means that all Pro Tour Teams will ride (are required) all Pro Tour events.
Which leaves some events out in the cold...
T of C is not a Pro Tour event. Which leaaves it as hit or miss as to which Teams will actually send representation and what the level of ridership that representation means. Which means it may not be the class field it has been all these prior years...
possible bummer...
cyclezen is offline   Reply With Quote