Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Finished my first century! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/687757-finished-my-first-century.html)

Bob/FLA 10-14-10 02:50 PM

Finished my first century!

I finished my first Century on 4 Oct. 5 hours, 54 minutes for an average of 17mph. I felt pretty good afterward, still had miles left in my legs! I ate and hydrated well during the trip, however I realized that apples and I don't get along well. I had one mid trip and it talked back to me for an hour in the last half of the trip. No bike malfunctions, just a great trip.

I monitored my heart rate and cadence at the outset. I quickly got into my rhythm and just laid down track. My first recollection of the trip was looking up and seeing the hills at the 2 hour point! The halfway point was next when I stopped into a grocery store and refilled my Gatorade and that vile apple.

The last half of the trip was monitoring my stomach for an hour, and then getting into the zone again. I had to slow down the last 2 miles just to wind down from the ride. I loaded the bike, ate a bit, and then drove home.

This was my last training ride before November 14th when I cross the state of Florida. Now I will spend time getting a little stronger and faster before then.

Best regards to all
Bob

The Weak Link 10-14-10 02:57 PM

Congratulations!

That's 4 50+ers (actually, 5 I think, although one posts over on the roadie forum) that did their first century this week. I feel like there is a monkey off my back, but not sure exactly why.

Don't eat apples. Next time try a banana split.

Daspydyr 10-14-10 03:43 PM

Congrats, you average speed is awesome. Me and Weak Link are both newbies with you on the century post. It feels great.

Banana Split, now there is some real wisdom in that idea.

BluesDawg 10-14-10 04:26 PM

Congratulations. :beer:

But it is starting to get a little old reading about people doing faster times in their first century than any of the dozens I have done.

Metric Man 10-14-10 06:41 PM

Very nice...congrats for sure! ;)

This was self-supported?

Bob/FLA 10-14-10 07:29 PM

Self supported and ALONE. It really was a lot easier than I thought. I didn't have a single rider with me the entire time. There were a few bikes out there and a runner or two, but it was a Monday morning and not many folks out there.

Best to all
Bob

gcottay 10-14-10 09:36 PM

Unless you are riding with a tough group, it seems you are more than ready for the cross Florida ride.

Jamesw2 10-15-10 03:25 AM

Is'nt Flordia only 90 miles wide??? Hee Hee
Great job!

BikeArkansas 10-15-10 05:12 AM

I agree with BluesDawg, these first time century ride times are faster than I normally ride. To date this year I have ridden eleven century events. Seldom am I under 6 hours. I did work toward the century in September and rode it in 5 hours 32 minutes, which is not very impressive when compared to the first time riders in the last few weeks.

Some very impressive century times gentlemen.

BikeNSail 10-15-10 06:45 AM

Congratulations! :beer:

Much tougher doing it alone than with organized ride like I did. I did my 1st century this week also....GREAT feeling isn't it?

I like your next goal of crossing Florida...should be fun.

:thumb:

NOS88 10-15-10 07:00 AM

OK, then... one down, a trip across Florida to go. Nice job.

I'm with BD & BA, my times are slower. But, all things considered, I'll take the slower times vs. not being able to do one at all.

Pat 10-15-10 10:27 AM

Congratulations on a solo century. It sounds like you everything went great. Let us know how your cross FL ride goes.

crazyb 10-16-10 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 11623598)
Congratulations. :beer:

But it is starting to get a little old reading about people doing faster times in their first century than any of the dozens I have done.

Bet you have a few more hills to contend with than in Florida.

doctor j 10-16-10 06:05 PM

Congratulations on the first century and good luck on the ride across Florida. Oh, and that's a great average!

10 Wheels 10-16-10 06:08 PM

Awesome ride..

Garilia 10-17-10 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesw2 (Post 11625656)
Is'nt Flordia only 90 miles wide??? Hee Hee
Great job!

At some spots. Some places less than that.