User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 to Go Behind the Motor

One might think that getting ready for a major event might be glamorous or at least very pro like. Well, in some ways getting ready for Track Worlds in Portugal on October 26th is both but it is mostly a lot of hard work on the track and mostly behind the motor. Motor pacing is probably the best way to increase speed, power and endurance and train at race wattage. My wife and I have been training twice per week behind the motor as well as other road cycling since the beginning of September. We are very fortunate to have a very experienced former track racer who does the motor pacing. He is a gem and knows exactly how to take us to the limit.

Our trip is going to be for a couple of weeks including the racing and vacationing. I have been using a point and shoot camera but decided to go back to the SLR and purchased a digital SLR. When we first got married, we were avid photographers and have hundreds of slides. The new DSLR is totally amazing in its features and ease of use and I need more practice and experience.

Here is our motor pacing workout in pics.

One needs a bike to get the action started so here they are. Notice the roller on the pace motor bike. We can hit that roller at high speed with no problem.

The key to the workout is the guy on the moto. Our guy is superb. He knows us and how to maximize our effort. We tell him the target speed and he executes. Since we are focusing on the 2K pursuit, we do 6 laps around the 335 meter track.

We take turns behind the motor. Here is my wife waiting her turn.

This sequence of shots with her is at 35 mph 88 gear inches at 130 rpm. She is a monster on the bike. The face tells the level of effort, concentration and power.

The concentration required at 35 mph is significant and note how close she is to the roller.

She gets a good draft but it is still very tough.

Now it is my turn.

Next Tuesday is the last training day at the track and then we are off to Portugal via Lisbon on Friday.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it kind of unhealthy to be breathing all that exhaust? Motorcycles aren't exactly known for clean emissions either.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hermes, I'm delighted to hear you're off to the Worlds. I didn't know you were training for that. Best of luck!

130 RPM is amazing! I'm capable of short bursts to 115. Ordinarily 108 is the fastest I do before shifting.

I do my motorpacing while commuting. I've often wanted a roller on the back of my chosen motor. And a driver who doesn't freak out when they see me in the mirror!

Quote Originally Posted by ro-monster View Post
    Isn't it kind of unhealthy to be breathing all that exhaust? Motorcycles aren't exactly known for clean emissions either.
    Think of it as resistance training for the lungs. Seriously, look at the difference in height between the tailpipe and their heads. Now, if nostrils were in the knees...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Hermes, I'm delighted to hear you're off to the Worlds. I didn't know you were training for that. Best of luck!

130 RPM is amazing! I'm capable of short bursts to 115. Ordinarily 108 is the fastest I do before shifting.

I do my motorpacing while commuting. I've often wanted a roller on the back of my chosen motor. And a driver who doesn't freak out when they see me in the mirror!

Think of it as resistance training for the lungs. Seriously, look at the difference in height between the tailpipe and their heads
    . Now, if nostrils were in the knees...
    I thought the same thing.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rich, how long do you hold that 135. Just wondering, because I have got up that high for a short burst, once in a while. Nothing steady.
    I wish guys all the luck in the world.
    George

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thanks for the photos, and report. And good luck!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck in Portugal. Looks like you're both ready for the challenge.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool photos, thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your wife is to young for you
    Training and techniques will make you suffer slightly faster up hills, not suffer any less.
    Guy Wilson-Roberts

I am here to kick this hill in the nuts!
    me

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by go do it View Post
    your wife is to young for you
    That is the price for marrying a 30 something pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck in Portugal!!!
    I agree that motorpacing on the track is the best way to increase speed and power. You really don't smell the exhaust that close to the motor, it's about 3-4 riders back where the fumes are at! Eddie B (yes, that Eddie B) is the only coach down here at the San Diego Velodrome with a roller bar on his motorcycle.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys inspire me. Best of luck at the worlds and I know guys will give it all . Can't wait for the reports and the pics.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need the P3 hanging on the rack in the first photo!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hey Rich, how long do you hold that 135. Just wondering, because I have got up that high for a short burst, once in a while. Nothing steady.
    I wish guys all the luck in the world.
    George, it is more like 120 to 130 rpm for approximately 2:30. That is 6 laps or 2K. Also, the fixed gear bike is easier to spin than a bike with a free wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the photos, and report. And good luck!
    I need work on my photography and I have to get used to the new camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I need the P3 hanging on the rack in the first photo!
    It would be a nice addition to your "red" collection.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. Masters Track Worlds are broadcast live via the web and the video stored for viewing at any time. I will post the link.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Hermes and Velo Diva. Nail it!!!
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rich (and ME),

I haven't even been lurking here lately and I just saw this post. Hopefully you'll be connected while in Portugal.

I presume the track in Portugal is 250m so make sure you don't lose count of the laps. There is a story (that is probably true) about a SoCal woman at the Masters Worlds in the UK a few years ago. That track was 200m and she was on world record pace when she started slowing too soon. As I understand it, she still won the gold but did not set a world record.

The last few weeks have been low mileage and intensity weeks for me as I start to recover mentally and physically from a long and fun racing season. I'm still going to the track once a week during this slow period though.

Let us know how your travel to Portugal went.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/