My Bikes
    1998 Lemond Zurich, Redline Conquest Pro, Kilo TT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Err . . .

Did I miss a part of the script? Perhaps there is a page missing in my book!!

Goodness.

Possibly where the page said...differences are O.K.....lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    . . . What say the other 50+?
    If you're committed to the life of health and aerobic exertion, FORGET the whole idea of inhaling complex and biologically active stuff into the lungs. It's poison.

For my part, I am veteran of active tuberculosis [and, unrelated, a former cigar officianado] and am living light to the proposition that NOTHING focuses attention on what is important in life than being DENIED BREATH OF LIFE. [Trust me here or see for yourself.]
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bones View Post
    If you're committed to the life of health and aerobic exertion, FORGET the whole idea of inhaling complex and biologically active stuff into the lungs. It's poison.

For my part, I am veteran of active tuberculosis [and, unrelated, a former cigar officianado] and am living light to the proposition that NOTHING focuses attention on what is important in life than being DENIED BREATH OF LIFE. [Trust me here or see for yourself.]

Life is never guaranteed but death is certain...might as well enjoy what you do...no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyed..27 View Post
    Possibly where the page said...differences are O.K.....lol
    Perhaps you misinterpreted my "yawn" - which was meant to describe my boring lifestyle, not in any way against you or your lifestyle.

Sorry if you misinterpreted - and sorry if you didn't.

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live in a very rural area.
    In the spring and summer sometimes the black flies and mosquitos make it difficult to be comfortably outside.
    After having tried all sort of bug repellants, the smoke of a cigar seems to be the most effective bug suppressant; at least they don't buzz your face as much. So to sit on the deck in the eve taking in the wonderful environment, perhaps with some fluid refreshment, Partagas Shorts are my favorite choice for bug control.
    ride long & prosper

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Perhaps you misinterpreted my "yawn" - which was meant to describe my boring lifestyle, not in any way against you or your lifestyle.

Sorry if you misinterpreted - and sorry if you didn't.

LOL......Agreed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stink sticks.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    Stink sticks.

So does your fragrance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surgeonstone View Post
    Then you need a new Doctor as the ones you have are idiots. People who do not smoke, people who do not drink, they do not get throat cancer. End of discussion. Rationalize away but the cause is obvious.
    I'm certainly am not one to defend smoking, but I don't believe this is completely true. People who never smoke or drink actually do get throat cancer. A quick Google search turned up a statistic. 10% of throat cancers are not attributable to smoking or drinking.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh-heh. Now you've all got me thinking about growing up back in the 60's, when everyone's dad smoked. Moms frequently smoked as well, but not as many. Seriously, when the weather was warm, and Sunday afternoon cookouts were going on, every adult male (and some adult females) smoked. And remember how everyone smoked on television? And that catchy song/jingle "The Disadvantages of you" by the brass ring? Youtube link to the entire tune Warning: This is one of those tunes that gets into your head and doesn't let go!

I would like to think we're getting beyond smoking, but the number of college kids I see smoking today is troubling, and amazing. What's a pack of smokes go for now?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Heh-heh. What's a pack of smokes go for now?

5 bucks and more... depends on where you live!

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 bucks and more... depends on where you live!
    What?!?!?

Now I'm thinking of Charlton Heston's line in Soylent Green. "If I had the money, I'd smoke two, three of these a day". Holy horse buns. Seriously, I didn't know that.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten/eleven C$ in my neighbourhood

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some smoking costs you might not have thought about:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...OfSmoking.aspx

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like this is, for once in my wretched life, an opportunity to be the voice of wisdom and reason.

But I don't feel like it, so argue away. Don't expect me bail you all out this time.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked what I say, and I say that I have no use for inhaling smoke from burning leaves. I don't need the smoke, and I don't need the drugs or other assorted chemicals.

The cheese, wine, fruit, chocolate, etc sounds good though. I don't drink coffee, but I love the smell.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is what you do...Yawn...
    I smoke on my rides...yes...Black and milds...and I drink and ride too at times....I do what I do...and you do what you do....and if you do not like what I do...then that is your problem and not mine!
    Once I was riding a quiet trail and I came upon a group of conservative-looking bicycle riders standing on the trail. They were on a curve and I kind of surprised them. One or two looked kind of nervous. Going by, I got a good whiff of reefer.
    Everybody's got their own way of unwinding, I guess.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some Romeo y Julietta Vintage cigars for the occasional smoke. They're very mild and nutty like a good Dominican cigar should be.

My Bikes
    Merlin Lunaris
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPMacG View Post
    I'm certainly am not one to defend smoking, but I don't believe this is completely true. People who never smoke or drink actually do get throat cancer. A quick Google search turned up a statistic. 10% of throat cancers are not attributable to smoking or drinking.
    Not even close. A recent study of 1640 patients with Squamous Cell Ca of throat, 40 were felt to be truly unrelated to smoking or ETOH ingestion. That is quite a bit less than 10 percent. The characteristics of these unfortunate 40, very very old and female ( most very very old people are female, men die early...definitely the weaker sex). I am not a zealot on this. I don't smoke or drink for simple reasons, I hate the smell of smoke and I see very little good but a lot of misery come out of ETOH use. Just my perspective and not meant to be a rant towards those who enjoy it.

North Orange County, in Southern California
    My Bikes
    1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to smoke an occasional cigar. In the span of a year, maybe a dozen cigars, give or take. While I hate the smell of cigarette smoke-- my dad smoked Salem menthols for many years, quite possibly the smelliest cigarette ever made-- a fine cigar produces a wonderful fragrance.

But the reaction of people to cigar smoke is either love or hate. I go to lunch with coworkers a couple of times each year and we typically go to a restaurant that permits us to enjoy cigars in the outdoor dining area. Passers by frequently look at us with unmasked disgust, or will sometimes say "that cigar smells so good," or words to that effect.

Sometimes there is added satisfaction that comes from smoking a cigar. I was an exchange student in Korea in the early 1990's and suffered frequently inside smoky coffee shops, places where cigarette smokers, kerosene heaters, and poor ventilation made for unspeakably bad indoor air quality. (Such places were the only source of a cup of coffee back in the day.) At the time I was not a cigar smoker, but when I returned some years later (with some cigars), much to my delight I found that the people who seemed to have the greatest aversion to cigar smoke were cigarette smokers in various coffee shops around Seoul. So it was with relish that I would go to a coffee shop, pull a churchill (7" long cigar) from my case, and light up. The cigarette smokers would almost inevitably start to leave soon after.

The last time I was back there in 2006, I went with a friend to a bar in/on Yoido, where we were the only customers. The proprietress, who quite probably would have been pleased to have the place packed wall-to-wall with cigarette-smoking customers asked us to leave about ten minutes after we fired up a couple of cigars. She couldn't stand the smell.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surgeonstone View Post
    Then you need a new Doctor as the ones you have are idiots. People who do not smoke, people who do not drink, they do not get throat cancer. End of discussion. Rationalize away but the cause is obvious.
    I don't know you, and you may not be the idiot you seem, but you are certainly an *******. My doctors are very intelligent, very knowledgeable and very good at what they do which is diagnosing and treating cancer. I owe them my life. I don't even owe you civility.

My doctors told me that the vast majority of people they see with the kind of cancer I had are longtime heavy smokers and/or heavy drinkers. When they tell me that the very infrequent cigars I smoked (without inhaling) and the moderate drinking I do were very unlikely to have caused my disease, I believe them. All I believe of you is that you are an opinionated jerk.

They said that the heavier cigarette smoking I did for 5 years ending 30 years before was a stronger possibility, but still not probable. Same for the somewhat heavy drinking I did in my 20s and 30s. They told me about many possible factors such as the mold I may have breathed while repairing homes in NOLA after hurricane Katrina, chemicals in the air at the composite manufacturing plant where I have worked for 25+ years, even a history of oral sex has been shown to be a cause for some throat cancer.

Bite me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Everybody's got their own way of unwinding, I guess.
    I agree 100%!

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last cigar I smoked ruined my taste buds for 3 days. Never again.

My Bikes
    '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I know of a web site to get good cigars cheap. These are 1st quality, brand name cigars. It's an auction site run by an on-line store. I 've stocked 6 humidors with good buys from them. Interestingly, they also have forums where some people feel the need to lecture. I don't know about policies here regarding other web sites, even noncompeting ones, and I don't want to violate any rules. If you're interested PM me for the site.
    The great Confucius said that he would
    rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast