Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Hilly metric training schedule? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/688605-hilly-metric-training-schedule.html)

Pat 10-20-10 10:18 AM

Surly,

Your plan looks pretty good to me. In facts, it looks better than good. You are doing the distance each and every week end. Good for you. You are also getting in aerobic workouts during the week in the spin classes. Nothing beats getting aerobic workouts in on a regular basis and nearly daily is best. That is what you are doing. Way to go.

I do not know how steep the hills you are climbing are. I tend to sit and spin on hills that are not too steep. If they are steep +7%, I will get out of the saddle. I can train on flat terrain for sittin and spinnin but I can not train for out of the saddle climbs on flat terrain.

If you are concerned about hills, you can try to simulate the climbs in your spin sessions. I am doing the Horrible Hundred here in central FL next month. I don't get over to Clermont at all so there are not any hills to ride where I am. I simulated the hills (which hit up to 15%) by getting out of the saddle on a spin bike and getting my heart rate up. It worked fine for last year's ride.

As far as I can tell, your prep should be more than adequate. I looked at it and was impressed.

I would think your biggest danger might be in being strong enough to hammer the first hills and beating yourself up too much. I say that because I did it once on a hilly century. I was in great shape. I was all excited. I attacked hills for 50 miles and after that it was climbing hills with toasty legs. So don't do as I did. Pace yourself.

Good luck to you,

Pat

pmcq 10-20-10 11:18 AM

Remember Tinkerbell

Surly Jen,
I watched you conquer that hill two weeks ago and then have enough time at the top to eat a 3-course meal waiting for me to catch up!. You will do simply great on the TdF. Just translate all of these positive comments from everyone into claps, and like the infamous Tinkerbell, you will triumph. Just remember to bring a book to read or a scarf to knit while you wait for me at the finish line that day :)
~pam

Mr. Beanz 10-20-10 11:55 AM

This is a section of the ride that will slow down plenty of riders. One of the several climbs on the ride. The section from Mills& Baseline up to Baldy Rd then to Shinn Rd. Averaged out on Mapmyridedotcom.

Baldy Rd is tough cause the riders have just climbed Mills (first 1 mile section on graph). Although Mills is not steep, legs are tired from several climbs early in the ride. Then knowing Baldy Rd is next, that hurts just knowing!:D

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/4...inebaldyrd.jpg

This is the Baldy Climb according to mapmyridedotcom. Tough bugger! Hope the riders have fun. I'll be on the side of the road eating a cheeseburger!:roflmao2: Looking at the graph, you can guess where I'll be sitting!:p

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7...urebaldyrd.jpg

stapfam 10-20-10 12:20 PM

I know I live in a hilly area but no single hill is longer than 1 mile or higher than an 800ft rise. So in preparation for a trip to the Alpes a few years ago- I did Hill repeats up the steepest hill. They did my head in. 3 times up and the brain also told my body that I had done enough. It was so boring that I had to find a different way of getting climbs in so I found a route that gave me 2,500ft of climbing-in 12 miles. Give say 10 miles before and 10 miles after and that turned into a good training ride.

There is no way that this prepared me for Ventoux but it gave me an insight as to how tired you can feel on continual climbing. My preparation may not have prepared me enough but to be honest- Ventoux was a dream ride. Took it steady- saved energy and only had 3 breaks for extra water and something to eat.

But the bit of training that worked was riding the local region- plenty of short sharp slopes of about 200yards at 15 to 20 %. Force yourself up them at a cadence of 80 and you know you have worked hard. It was not the physical effort that got me up those slopes- it was mental power of knowing that they are not long and Ventoux will be worse- It wasn't.

Yen 10-20-10 12:44 PM

Pat: Thanks for the reminder to pace myself -- you're not the first one to say it. That may be my biggest challenge; I'm not the fastest horse in the stable by a longshot, but I tend to push too hard too soon. I need to put that at the top of my list in big letters.

Hi Pam! Ha ha, you are funny! How are you? Hoping to still see you on the training ride on the 30th.

Beanz: I'd appreciate if you would convert that graph to go downhill instead so that my brain will see the image and remember it that way, then psych myself into believing it is an easy descent. Thanks! :D

Stap: Good info, thanks. I believe I can DO the hills... I just want enough experience on them between now and then to recall having done them and KNOW it can be done on that day.

As I approach a tough hill on my lightweight cf Roubaix Expert, I remind myself of the tough climb I did on my 35-lb. hybrid 2-1/2 years ago when I was 20+ pounds heavier and in mediocre shape. It was the climb up Academy Rd. to the L.A. Police Academy on the memorial ride with the LAPD cycling team. The hill was at the very end of a 50-mile recreational ride. The legs did the physical work, but my mind was totally engaged and pushing myself to go on, one turn of the crank at a time, and I made it to the top without stopping (passing cyclists on road bikes) and feeling pretty good.

DnvrFox 10-20-10 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 11651889)
Pat: Thanks for the reminder to pace myself -- you're not the first one to say it. That may be my biggest challenge; I'm not the fastest horse in the stable by a longshot, but I tend to push too hard too soon. I need to put that at the top of my list in big letters.

Hi Pam! Ha ha, you are funny! How are you? Hoping to still see you on the training ride on the 30th.

Beanz: I'd appreciate if you would convert that graph to go downhill instead so that my brain will see the image and remember it that way, then psych myself into believing it is an easy descent. Thanks! :D

Stap: Good info, thanks. I believe I can DO the hills... I just want enough experience on them between now and then to recall having done them and KNOW it can be done on that day.

As I approach a tough hill on my lightweight cf Roubaix Expert, I remind myself of the tough climb I did on my 35-lb. hybrid 2-1/2 years ago when I was 20+ pounds heavier and in mediocre shape. It was the climb up Academy Rd. to the L.A. Police Academy on the memorial ride with the LAPD cycling team. The hill was at the very end of a 50-mile recreational ride. The legs did the physical work, but my mind was totally engaged and pushing myself to go on, one turn of the crank at a time, and I made it to the top without stopping (passing cyclists on road bikes) and feeling pretty good.

I seem to remember you cruising into Glenwood Springs after about 30 miles of a strong head wind on the return of the 60 mile ride to Woody's and back. Admittedly downhill, but also you and others were pushing pretty hard at about 6,000 feet above sea level.

Yen 10-20-10 02:07 PM

You're correct, Denver --- and I was on my Surly, a heavier bike with fatter tires. Actually, it was 67 miles :) and we were going 20 mph much of the way back.

Mr. Beanz 10-20-10 02:14 PM

As you wish!:D
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7...rebaldyrd2.jpg

Yen 10-20-10 07:32 PM

Thank you, much better. :-)

Hillbasher 10-20-10 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 11650429)
:lol: Ha ha - you're funny, Beanz. And you sound like a nice guy -- I can't imagine why anyone would give you a hard time.

Get to know him, you'll find out why. Just kidding, ha ha ha. But he is right about doing GMR. It is great training for your head. Teaches discipline:50:

Yen 10-20-10 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 11652403)

I thought we ride up Padua, not Mills.

Mr. Beanz 10-20-10 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 11654155)
I thought we ride up Padua, not Mills.

Hmm, could be. I looked at the map yesterday but so smaaaaaall!:eek:. I was going off memory, could be Padua. Either way, I'm guessing the grade is the same.:D

If they do go up Padua, I'm surprised as it is right next to the fwy and would be more traffic than going up Mills. I can't see the map on the link, tooo tiny!

Mr. Beanz 10-20-10 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbasher (Post 11654147)
Get to know him, you'll find out why.

Hey hey hey! 'Member, I got pics of you I can easliy photchop!:D

Yen 10-20-10 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hillbasher (Post 11654147)
Get to know him, you'll find out why. Just kidding, ha ha ha. But he is right about doing GMR. It is great training for your head. Teaches discipline:50:

I'll add it to my list of cycling milestones. I know some of my group members do it so perhaps I can join them sometimes.

Mr. Beanz 10-20-10 09:59 PM

Yes Yen! Now that I think about it, the rides come from around the first turn heading up Baldy, so it is Padua. Sorry, I'm getting old and the memory is failing me!:D

Yen 10-20-10 10:17 PM

That's OK. :) Someone sent me the MapMyRide map of the ride... I can't find it now in my email (too tired now) but when I find it I'll post it. I'm assuming it's this year's ride, not sure about that though.

Yen 10-22-10 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 11654914)
Yes Yen! Now that I think about it, the rides come from around the first turn heading up Baldy, so it is Padua. Sorry, I'm getting old and the memory is failing me!:D

Here's the route on MapMyRide: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...land/491644169

Mr. Beanz 10-22-10 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 11663706)

Ahh cool! I lost the riders the time I tried to follow. Lost them at the Target just east of Euclid on 19th.

If you've never been out that way, when you hit Sapphire, little bit of climbing then Lemon across to the furthest point east is actually pretty fast. Looks flat but must be a slight decline cause it's easy to do a decent speed.

BUT...heading back west is a bugger. It feels uphill and often windy!:eek:

Coming back west on Baseline, wow that's a tight road there for an organized ride itty bitty bikelane and lots of cars, be careful. Plus just west of Carnelian, there is some construction going on there right now. ;)...when I ride the area, I return on the same streets, Lemon and Wilson avoiding Baseline, oh well, safety in numbers?:thumb:

Yen 10-22-10 10:59 PM

Thank you for the tips. I know Sapphire, and I know where Lemon is only because I climbed to Lemon from Chino last week... WHEW! The route on Baseline is one we travel on the way back from Victoria Gardens on our standard Saturday ride. Not my favorite passage because of the traffic, but at least I'm familiar with it. Also familiar with the headwinds heading west! Makes for good hill training though.:thumb::)

Road Fan 10-25-10 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 11640351)
Hi, Yen.

As usual, youj are going to do GREAT. You just need some reassurance, and here it is

YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT!!

Certainly, your proposed training won't hurt, but, really, YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT!!

Your friend

Denver (recovering from a back fusion and discectomy, who is proud of his 1.5 mile walk today!!)

I want to echo Denver's encouragement, and maybe try to catch up a bit, since we've missed a chapter or two of each other's lives, as twas said. How are your wrists doing? Presumably those problems are left in teh past?

How's Mr. Yen?

Mrs. Road Fan now rides a Terry Classic, bright red Columbus steel with Campy Ergo 8-speed and a Brooks ladies' Imperial - she loves it, and regularly (again!!!) kicks my butt on hills. But, we've ridden a few metrics together last summer- both personal bests. But none of them have had the kind of climbing you're talking about!

I now have a job again, and am feeling my summer fitness evaporate - I need a new strategy!

Mr. Beanz 10-25-10 03:13 PM

Gina and I were on GMR Saturday, saw a couple riding up. I wa stopped a couple of them for a few minutes so I saw them again on the way down as Gina took a breather. They smiled and it didn't register right away but the lady was on a black Specialized with red tires (caught my attention)...... and red bar tape!:eek:

I thought maybe it was Yen so I shouted out "YEN!". So either they didn't hear me or somebody out there thinks I'm a nut!:D

Hmm, could it be?

Yen 10-25-10 06:33 PM

:) No, that was an imposter. :p My tires aren't red --- tho' they used to be until one of them developed a large bulge and I replaced them. The bars are bullhorns. There's a photo of it somewhere in this forum...

Mr. Beanz 10-25-10 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 11678757)
:) No, that was an imposter. :p My tires aren't red --- tho' they used to be until one of them developed a large bulge and I replaced them. The bars are bullhorns. There's a photo of it somewhere in this forum...

So someone just thinks I'm a nut now!:D

Yen 10-29-10 01:17 PM

:D

I have a pic of my bike I'll post later.

I am considering wearing my 50+ jersey and vest.... you'll know it and won't miss it. I could wear a club jersey but I may separate from them as I maintain my own pace. In that case, I'm hopeful that the 50+ jersey/vest will attract other riders to join me who want to know about the jersey. :) Which is exactly what led to this jersey order!!:thumb:

stapfam 10-29-10 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 11702276)
:D

I have a pic of my bike I'll post later.

I am considering wearing my 50+ jersey and vest.... you'll know it and won't miss it. I could wear a club jersey but I may separate from them as I maintain my own pace. In that case, I'm hopeful that the 50+ jersey/vest will attract other riders to join me who want to know about the jersey. :) Which is exactly what led to this jersey order!!:thumb:

Get the reasons for wearing the jersey sorted.

50th Metric of the year- 50mph on the downhills- Or that it is the most comfortable jersy you own but it is a special limited edition for those that belong to an elite group of riders.