User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Get the reasons for wearing the jersey sorted.

50th Metric of the year- 50mph on the downhills- Or that it is the most comfortable jersy you own but it is a special limited edition for those that belong to an elite group of riders.
    The latter, of course -- a special jersey belonging to an elite group of riders.

.... and, it is also very recognizable for those who are asking me what I'll be riding and wearing.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post

I have a pic of my bike I'll post later.

I am considering wearing my 50+ jersey and vest.... you'll know it and won't miss it. I could wear a club jersey but I may separate from them as I maintain my own pace. In that case, I'm hopeful that the 50+ jersey/vest will attract other riders to join me who want to know about the jersey. Which is exactly what led to this jersey order!!

Cool, I'll be looking for it!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen brifters mounted like yours. I suppose you're used to them by now but they look weird to me! BTW, if you remove all those yellow warning stickers and the white Specialized stickers you'll save about 15g off the bike! For free! lol

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um... thanks... I think. This bar/brifters set-up was done to accommodate my left wrist which has a prosthetic (silicone) lunate implant (about 32 years old). Riding with the standard drop bar was fine for a while, but squeezing the brake lever at that angle became very painful and difficult on longer rides. It may look weird to some, but my wrist is happy.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um... thanks... I think. This bar/brifters set-up was done to accommodate my left wrist which has a prosthetic (silicone) lunate implant (about 32 years old). Riding with the standard drop bar was fine for a while, but squeezing the brake lever at that angle became very painful and difficult on longer rides. It may look weird to some, but my wrist is happy.
    I didn't mean it was weird bad, just that I'd never seen that setup. Glad you were able to find an arrangement that works for you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty much looks like a cowhorn/lever set up of a Timetrial bike. I think it looks fast! If it gets you on the bike, JUST DO IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Pretty much looks like a cowhorn/lever set up of a Timetrial bike. I think it looks fast! If it gets you on the bike, JUST DO IT!
    That's what I thought too except on a TT bike the shifters are up front. I was trying to figure out how shifting would work with the brifters set like they are. By work I mean how the hand would work them. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beanz: It keeps me riding more miles in comfort. Thanks!

BikeWNC: To shift, I simply push the shifters inward, same as if they were mounted on the hoods. I usually ride with my hands just above the levers, so reaching to shift or brake feels natural. No wrist pain, ever. With the standard set-up, the grip while braking was painful and difficult... not a good thing on a descent!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    I want to echo Denver's encouragement, and maybe try to catch up a bit, since we've missed a chapter or two of each other's lives, as twas said. How are your wrists doing? Presumably those problems are left in teh past?

How's Mr. Yen?

Mrs. Road Fan now rides a Terry Classic, bright red Columbus steel with Campy Ergo 8-speed and a Brooks ladies' Imperial - she loves it, and regularly (again!!!) kicks my butt on hills. But, we've ridden a few metrics together last summer- both personal bests. But none of them have had the kind of climbing you're talking about!

I now have a job again, and am feeling my summer fitness evaporate - I need a new strategy!
    John, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner! I think I was composing a reply that evening and got derailed by something or other.

Wow, you have a good memory. My wrists are the same, but I've lived with the issue for 30+ years and I've learned how to keep them happy (especially the left one). I'm blessed though ----- some people with this issue are on disability and have chronic pain throughout the day.

Mr. Yen is doing great --- he now has 2 titanium shoulder joints and was forced to get a recumbent which is more shoulder-friendly on long rides. He's starting to climb some hard hill on it, and he calls them "easy".

So happy to see you and Mrs. Road Fan are enjoying cycling together, and it sounds like she got a great classic bike. Riding together is the best, isn't it?!

Congratulations on the new job -- I understand about evaporating fitness, it happens to me every summer when I don't ride as often due to the heat. When the temps cool off in fall, I have to scramble to catch up.

Take care, and thanks for asking. Continue enjoying the miles with Mrs. Road Fan.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, you were just getting used to a Little Black Dress - that all black Roubaix, but now with a splash of hot pink!

You sound very ready, based on your other thread, and I agree with the person who said you're ready to do a 100-miler.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Oh yeah, you were just getting used to a Little Black Dress - that all black Roubaix, but now with a splash of hot pink!

You sound very ready, based on your other thread, and I agree with the person who said you're ready to do a 100-miler.
    Gosh Road Fan -- your memory is amazing! Yes, that is my Little Black Dress, and I have finally grown into it.

I probably could do a 100-miler... an easy one. Next year!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you're doing some easy 1-2 hour rides or spinning today or Wednesday! Just a few more days!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gosh Road Fan -- your memory is amazing! Yes, that is my Little Black Dress, and I have finally grown into it.

I probably could do a 100-miler... an easy one. Next year!
    Wow, that's an itty bitty seat, that would kill me!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I hope you're doing some easy 1-2 hour rides or spinning today or Wednesday! Just a few more days!
    Hi Joe -- I did a moderately hard spin on Monday (new bikes that make standing REALLY hard), rested last night, and I'm planning an easy spin tonight ---- then REST Thursday and Friday (day off Friday, good day to get my bike, clothes and fuel ready, stretch, relax, and eat a good dinner). I'll go to the early check-in on Friday night to get my goodie bag, map/route slip, etc. I'm excited and nervous!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's an itty bitty seat, that would kill me!
    Huh?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Huh?
    The saddle on your bike is thin. I ride a Terry with a little more padding and wider profile. Your saddle looks uncomfortable although it probably isn't.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that! I swapped that saddle in the summer for a Terry Butterfly. The original one was good for about 40 miles but was more comfortable than it looks.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh that! I swapped that saddle in the summer for a Terry Butterfly. The original one was good for about 40 miles but was more comfortable than it looks.
    So you are using a Terry? Welcome to the club!...About a year ago, I saw a Terry Butterfly on clearance at SportChalet for $29. It was the pink cancer model that usually run for about $110 (?). I thought it was great deal but what do I want with a pink saddle? Later I realized I should have picked it up and sold it at cost to a local as I see lots of women looking for pink saddles.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the Terry saddle, and also my Terry shorts! I think the pink saddle would suit your personality just fine.

Hey, is it normal to be nervous/excited about my first organized metric event? Egads, I hope I settle down before Saturday!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is perfectly acceptable to be nervous! That just means your taking it seriously and will do very well. You are right on track and where you need to be. I think you will surprise yourself Saturday. Go out there and give those hills heck!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the Terry saddle, and also my Terry shorts! I think the pink saddle would suit your personality just fine.

Hey, is it normal to be nervous/excited about my first organized metric event?
    Egads, I hope I settle down before Saturday!
    Egads..... OMG, I have not seen that word or heard it in years. BTW, make sure you breathe. You cannot hold your breath for the entire metric.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey, is it normal to be nervous/excited about my first organized metric event? Egads, I hope I settle down before Saturday!

Good practice is to sleep well the nights leading up to an event. The night before is always nerve wracking and tough to sleep. The night before the forum ride, I only slept 2 hours.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Egads..... OMG, I have not seen that word or heard it in years. BTW, make sure you breathe. You cannot hold your breath for the entire metric.
    LOL -- I think I hear Hubby say 'Egads'. Oh, I have to breathe???
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good practice is to sleep well the nights leading up to an event. The night before is always nerve wracking and tough to sleep. The night before the forum ride, I only slept 2 hours.
    If I sleep only 2 hours I'll be a wreck.

I did an easy to moderate spin class tonight (75 minutes). Would it be wise to do an easy spin (HR in warm-up/recovery zone) tomorrow night, or just plain rest? I work on the 2nd floor in a building on a hill and always take the stairs, so although my job is sedentary I do take the stairs 4 or more times a day.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast