User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    So I grabbed the camera and stood out on Foothill to watch the tour go by. Amazing how big this ride is now, might have to give it a try next year. I had about 5 shouts"Mr. Beanz" on the road by riders I didn't know. One was "LittleWing" (not the correct handle but close ).

I did take my tools and pump as any smart guy would. Loaned out the pump to 2 different riders while driving the course. Filled about 10 bottles on Baldy Rd for those that couldn't wait til the next waterstation. Gina and I watched the climbers till the end. Good thing cause some needed water and the station at the top of Baldy seemed to have closed shop from what I saw. I shuttled a struggling rider to Shinn Rd, he was having a terrible day.

I did see Yen with her 50+ forum jersey. Wow, I was expecting an old woman on a hybrid with streamers but DARN, this lady looked hardcore roadie when she rolled by on foothill. Cruising in the pack no problem. Totally surprised when I saw her float up Baldy! From past reading, I thought she was worried about the climb but nope! The first section of Baldy is steep from what I've experienced. Someone with a Garmin shouted 12% on the ride. It's no baby but I did see a large quantity of riders stop and a good number walk the hill. I thought Yen would stop for a mintue but sheesh, she floated up the hill. I have a scene in the video where she appears to be riding with a group of riders up Baldy. Don't let that fool you. She rode up and the others hopped back on their bikes as she approached them. Of the group in the scene, she was the only one to ride up without stopping.

Mr. Beanz, you and Gina are awesome! Going out with tools and water to support other riders, some of whom you don't even know, is the spirit of a real champion. I still can't believe I happened to glance over just in time to see you on Foothill Bl. and recognized you in a cap, after only seeing you in pictures --- then spotted you at the tables at the park (among all the other people)! It was really nice meeting you and Gina and getting a picture with you. My attorney may be in touch with you after I watch the video though.

The training paid off, no doubt about that. Training is a lot more than just riding ---- it's also learning how to eat and drink right, both on and off the bike, maintain a good pace, know when to push, and know when to rest. I understand though how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement of "the big ride" after weeks of training, and forget to drink enough on the road. I took a gulp or two of my water w/Heed at every red light, and I didn't suffer.

I'll post a report today. Last night I was suffering from caffeine withdrawal.
    Last edited by Yen; 11-14-10 at 09:42 AM.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Sandbagger!
    Who, me?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Beanz, did you hear my breathing during the Baldy climb? When I do that climb I take full deep breaths, 1 inhale for each 2-3 pedal strokes -- no quick breaths or gasping. It's not something I trained myself to do, it just feels natural, and works for me.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only was Jen doing great (I ate her dust as usual), her super husband Jim came out to support her through the entire ride. He shouted encouragement to me as I pushed up the Baldy hill and it was just what I needed to keep going at that steepest point. In addition to Mr. Beanz, the folks from Cycling Connection who were the Ride Marshals for the event did a great job of providing support and advice throughout. It was a grand day all around.

Jen and Jim..jpg

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pam -- you were awesome!! From what you told me yesterday, you're waaaay ahead of the ride we did a few weeks ago. You're an inspiration to me, and I love your enthusiasm.

I was completely surprised when Jim drove by on Foothill Bl. in Glendora, then stopped at the next corner to take a picture as I rode by. Then he met us at the first rest stop, took more pictures, held onto our extra layers we peeled off, and said "see ya on Baldy". He even brought a cup of coffee for me, but I declined it as I had just eaten a Gu w/caffeine and didn't want to overdo and get the HR too high --- last night though, I wished I'd taken a few swigs of it. He was great!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jen,

Congratulations. It sounds like you are a climbing fool. Good for you. See, your preparation was more than adequate as everyone attested.

Pat

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, congratulations! Great achievement, and glad you shared the details with us here.

These are good observations; took me awhile to figure this out:

Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Training is a lot more than just riding ---- it's also learning how to eat and drink right, both on and off the bike, maintain a good pace, know when to push, and know when to rest. I understand though how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement of "the big ride" after weeks of training, and forget to drink enough on the road. .

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcq View Post
    Not only was Jen doing great (I ate her dust as usual),
    S are you telling me that you are the lady that was with Jen? I didn't realize you were a forum member or I'd have interviewed you too!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mr. Beanz, did you hear my breathing during the Baldy climb? When I do that climb I take full deep breaths, 1 inhale for each 2-3 pedal strokes -- no quick breaths or gasping. It's not something I trained myself to do, it just feels natural, and works for me.
    Nope, only thing I heard as the whiz of your tires smoking up the hill!..Thank you and pmcq for the kind words!

I use to think I'd run into you ona ride on SART or around RagingWaters. Now I'm hoping I don't. I have a hard time with getting "chicked" (term-dropped by a woman) Yes, you did great, LOTs of riders, hardcore, fancy expensive bike types walking and stopping, not Yen!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, only thing I heard as the whiz of your tires smoking up the hill!..Thank you and pmcq for the kind words!

I use to think I'd run into you ona ride on SART or around RagingWaters. Now I'm hoping I don't. I have a hard time with getting "chicked" (term-dropped by a woman) Yes, you did great, LOTs of riders, hardcore, fancy expensive bike types walking and stopping, not Yen!
    LOL! OK, so I probably do sell myself a little short, but I think your impression of me as a rider is based on who you thought I was ----- an old woman on a hybrid (not that there's anything wrong with that!!) with streamers and an umbrella on my head.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The video

didn't work, rework in progress.
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 11-15-10 at 01:20 PM.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Beanz, when I click on the arrow I see "This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". I'm in the U.S.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Beanz, when I click on the arrow I see "This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds". I'm in the U.S.
    Perhaps you have a British computer---Like me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Bummer, youtube doesn't say a thing about it, looks normal even in the notice they send with every video. I'll have to rework it now with new music., bummer!

thanks for the headsup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Yen! Sounds like you did everything perfect!

I more huff'n puff on hills, but I'm going to try your breathing rhythm.
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare Feet View Post
    Congratulations Yen! Sounds like you did everything perfect!

I more huff'n puff on hills, but I'm going to try your breathing rhythm.
    Thank you. I found that rhythm by accident... it just felt natural. I didn't work on any particular breathing pattern on hills, it just happened from the first time I climbed a tough hill. I haven't even counted the pedal strokes with each breath -- I'm estimating it's 2-3 pedal strokes, but that number varies from hill to hill. Anyway, try taking deeper breaths to fill your lungs, you'll find your own natural rhythm.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok, how about now? Can someone please verify the music track is working, thanks. Can you hear it?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, how about now? Can someone please verify the music track is working, thanks. Can you hear it?
    yep. Authority always wins.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Mr. Beanz! Thanks.

Did I mention I didn't stop on that climb? The steepest part was out of view, down the hill. I'm looking forward to doing it again this weekend.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    yep. Authority always wins.
    Thanks! First track was Bruce Springsteen. Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark. Fit the vid better but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did I mention I didn't stop on that climb?
    Mention as often as you like, I'm still impressed. I know through experience that a rider cand feel like they are working hard or struggling but others see the rider as riding effortlessly. I don't whether or not you wre struggling, breathing hard etc, but to me, you were floating up the mtn effortlessy! On that day, I had lots of others to compare and form my opinion.

Nothing on GMR is that steep. You ought to give it a try. Gina doesn't "float" up the mtn the way you do, and she just made it ot the village for the first time. You'd have a great time and the views are much nicer than any other road within miles!

Appetizer ?

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GMR is on my bucket list! Gina looks like she's not struggling at all there.

BTW, your video is on Facebook! The Tour de Foothills FB page shared your YouTube video with the caption "Thanks to Mr. Beanz Productions for this awesome video!!" And that means by goofy face is on YouTube!!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GMR is on my bucket list! Gina looks like she's not struggling at all there.

BTW, your video is on Facebook! The Tour de Foothills FB page shared your YouTube video with the caption "Thanks to Mr. Beanz Productions for this awesome video!!" And that means by goofy face is on YouTube!!
    Yup, just rejoined FB so that I can see my vid on the FB frontpage.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345