Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting back on the old saddle.

8 months without a smoke so I boogied to a few bicycle shops here in the Sac area to see which bike to buy as a reward. I was shopping for a entry level MTN bike to ride the trails along the American river and take photographs. Currently I have a old 85 Nishiki Sport and a 97 Specialized Crossroad, the last new bike I bought. 13 years ago.
    Bob's Cycle Center located in Fair Oaks provided great customer service, While at Performance the salesmen left me standing there while they just chit chatted at the check stand.
    City Bicycle Works were better but watched me like a hawk while I test rode a few bikes...
    Then I went to the closest shop by my home called Elite Bicycles......in Citrus Heights. lot of cool looking bikes...low riders.....fixies.....BMX......AND USED !! And damn good prices!! But I'm a traditioanlist and over 50 now.
    Screw it all!!!
    I went home and grabbed my old Crossroads and headed back to Elite. And instead of buying a new bike for 300-600 bucks I just picked up a new chain and a sealed bottom bracket along with the 49.99 tune up special. The "Wrench" pointed out on my old hybrid two loose gears on the cassette which is why the chin slipped when I mashed down on the pedals. (I worked on those myself a few years ago. I wonder.....) Heck! That was one of the main reasons I stopped riding that bike. That and it feels like I'm riding up hill even on flats. I'm hopping the new bottom bracket will cure that. Those old ball barrings have to be worn by now. I rode that old crossroads on many a dirt trail over the years and figure with a few budget parts it will be as good as new. I still can work on my own bikes! I just don't know where I put all my bike tools!

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get your bike sorted out, the ARBT would be a good place for you to re-acquaint yourself with the ol' saddle.

Oh, and you might want to take another look at your sidewalls before you wander too far from the home, too.

Congrats on kicking the cancer stick habit. You are talking about tobacco, right?...

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good CroMoly bike would be a nice ride...Surly makes some great ones, as do a few others.
    Remember, not getting what you want can sometimes be a wonderful stroke of luck...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, congratulations on 8 months without a smoke. Second, congratulations on reintroducing yourself to your old friend.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your bikes are not old (see my signature, below)!

To follow the title of your thread, old saddles are best, anyway, just like nicely broken-in shoes. I have put 50k mi / 80k km on my Brooks Pro, and it probably still has at least 20% of its useful life remaining.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With proper care, a traditional cup & cone bottom bracket should last years. The cartridge bb's, in my experience, will start to go loose (or even self-destruct) at around 14,000 km, about 8,500 miles, if you ride in wet Vancouver conditions. Probably longer if you live in Arizona or SouCal.

L.

My Bikes
    2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Your bikes are not old (see my signature, below)!

To follow the title of your thread, old saddles are best, anyway, just like nicely broken-in shoes. I have put 50k mi / 80k km on my Brooks Pro, and it probably still has at least 20% of its useful life remaining.
    I have a a B17 myself! That's another thing. I have to recondition my butt!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with an oldie that is well maintained. Just don't tell the wife that as the C.F. 15lb beastie is just around the corner if you look for it.

Give it a year or so to rediscover the legs and lungs and you will be looking at the Current range of bikes- "Just to see what they are like"

Welcome back.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do it. You know you want it. You know you need it.

2011 Specialized Roubaix. Go for it. You deserve it. Life is short. Life on Planet Earth may be wiped out in a week by a rogue (or as MTBers say, rouge) comet or asteroid. It definitely will be wiped out in year 2012. Then you'll never be able to ride a CF bike.

Don't wait.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up the old Beast today. All tuned up and ready to fly........tomorrow.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quitting smoking is the best thing you have EVER done for yourself. Well done. Now get on your bike and ride.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing difference with that new bottom bracket. SmooooOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOooooth...........
    I had him save the old bracket and it looks kinda shot. I still need a new cassette.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    With proper care, a traditional cup & cone bottom bracket should last years. The cartridge bb's, in my experience, will start to go loose (or even self-destruct) at around 14,000 km, about 8,500 miles, if you ride in wet Vancouver conditions. Probably longer if you live in Arizona or SouCal.

L.
    My beloved Ciocc has a 1986 Campy Nuovo Record bottom bracket - still turns just fine!

Congrats on quitting smoking and returning to cycling. Sounds like a "WIN-WIN" to me!
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/