http://cptips.com/age.htm

Tom

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. I found it quite interesting as I am over 60. I like improved speed and performance. It is encouraging that this article predicts a greater benefit for training harder instead of longer slower rides.

I plan on continuing to work many more years. My career involves much travel; so, more miles doesn't fit my schedule too well.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, Nice article. While anybody who continues any sport into the later years should realize there will be some decrease in performance, I think heart rate and respiratory recovery following exertion is a better measure.

Brad

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention that I typically do weight training 3 times a week. I think this is really important. I have been riding more and have started neglecting visits to the gym. The bicycle is so much fun and the gym sucks. I know it is really important.; so, I will make a better attempt at continuing to do the weights regularly.

Osteoporosis runs in my family. My father, his sister and his father all had hip replacements. I was shocked to find my bone density is better than an average 21 year old. I think the weights are a big reason.

I can maximize the weights on the seated leg press machine. I think this allows me to accelerate really well.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information. The article does not address the increased effort required to build and maintain muscle mass for older adults. Other studies show that a progressively greater effort is needed as we age with more time spent exercising if a person wants to maintain muscle mass.

Thomm124
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Vortex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot more info available at that site. I just thought the aging thing was a good start for us in the 50+ crowd.

http://cptips.com/

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed the article. I agree totally about muscle mass and lifting the weights.

I'm 59 and have become concerned more and more about loss of muscle mass. I've never been a lightweight, but still cycle 3000 miles or so per year with very little other exercise. In some respects I felt like my upper body was turning to jello.

In May of this year (5 months ago) I began three times a week with a trainer. During the five months I've only lost about 5 pounds, but really haven't tried to lose weight, only to eat much better. The results are

1) I've dropped over 20% of my body fat while gaining about 6 pounds of muscle. I know things have shaped up and moved around. Most of my pants are too big and people see me and ask if I've lost weight.

2) I've doubled my bench press from 75# to over 150# and am pushing towards 200#, though not there yet

3) Can now do 20+ pushups (still using a rubber band assist for pullups)

4) Began swimming and did my first swim-bike sprint biathlon this summer. I can swim 1.2 miles in about 40 minutes.

I'm pushing toward a goal of the full 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike for next summer's Vineman.

Weight training and stressing the CV system works.

But sometimes it's fun to just ride for...well...the fun of it.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article, appears to be well-researched. I stopped racing a couple of years ago, but I still do randonneur brevets, and I've been doing weekly group rides with younger racers, riding a fixed gear or single-speed and keeping up. I'm 60 next week, and my increasing concern had been the effect of "hard" exercise - making those 90-100% efforts - on the heart. The article alleviates some of this concern. I'm a believer that the human body is great at adapting to whatever stress you put on it, as long as you don't overdo it, and this overdoing is a big concern as I age. So I feel a bit better about doing more intense workouts, as much as I hate doing intervals!

I guess the bigger concern should be amongst those who don't do any exercise and feel that you have to "take it easy with your body" as you age. I was in Florida last week and it was just depressing to see all the old, fat, out-of-shape people down there. Wake up, America! A round of golf simply isn't enough!

L.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CPtips site is a good one and has been on this forum many times. Like most of this type of information it is great to know what is possible. The hard part is setting goals and making it operational. All of my performance factors are up this year going from age 60 to 61 including strength, endurance, power and neuromuscular capability.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been working on what I call all-round fitness for many years now. I added swimming almost 3 years ago. I had to remove walking due to the L4-L5 disc problem, but will add it back in as I gain strength after the fusion. My max Bench Press was 225 lbs some years back, but I do no more BP's, instead I do dumbbell presses - uses a lot more stabilizing muscles.

I have recently added stretch bands, and use them in a whole variety of different exercises.

This is one reason why, after fusion surgery last week, I was the only one on the surgical/ortho floor walking at 6:00 am, while others were trying to get out of their beds. I will be 71 in just a few days.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the book Strength Training Past 50, it talks about a study that found that 3x per week weight lifting was only slightly more effective than 2x per week.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I have recently added stretch bands, and use them in a whole variety of different exercises.
    With my knee problems I really have tried to work on my balance.

One exercise my trainer puts on me are light weight squats, WITH KETTLEBELLS HANGING ON A BARBELL BY STRETCH BANDS. It's sort of like trying to stick an ear worm in a wildcat's ear, but it will really wake up your sense of balance and fine muscle control.

Thomm124
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Vortex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less Is Best?

Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    In the book Strength Training Past 50, it talks about a study that found that 3x per week weight lifting was only slightly more effective than 2x per week.
    That's good to know because I usually only do weights 1 to 2 times a week during cycling season (s).

I have found though that the same applies to cycling (I think). I go super hard on Saturdays with the group. We're talking speeds over 28 mph, but normally on Sundays and on my weekday rides, I'm cruising 15-18mph. (but sometimes I'll ride hard on those days if I get up with another rider) Now it took the whole summer to get strong enough to ride the speed rides on Saturdays with the A group, but I'm able to do it now. I have to take a couple days off though to heal after Saturday although I do ride easy on Sunday mornings which usually includes riding down to see if the guys on the beach are catching anything, checking the tide, pelicans, seagulls, snowbirds? ..... wait that's what we do in Yuma, AZ.
    Last edited by thomm124; 10-20-10 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I forgot to mention that I typically do weight training 3 times a week. I think this is really important. I have been riding more and have started neglecting visits to the gym...
    I second the motion on weight training. I really hate it, but at my age (65), it's really important. You lose (well, I lose--maybe you're different) strength so quickly that I can tell a difference in just three or four days.
    FWIW, about the only thing I hate more than lifting is going to "the gym," with the poseurs and smoothie bars and horses' behinds hogging the machines. So I don't: With less than $100 worth of weights (most of which my son left behind when he moved out after college) and 10 bucks' worth of resistance bands or whatever they're called, I can do a very complete workout anywhere. The resistance bands are pretty cool for travel, too. I was skeptical about them at first, but they're pretty effective and take up about as much room in a suitcase as a pair of socks.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I follow a blog by a contrarian doctor who posted a bunch of studies recently that show the same thing. It was a relief to me too since I aim for three weight workouts a week but usually end up with two. Now I just need to increase my effort and maybe they will actually have an effect
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I follow a blog by a contrarian doctor who posted a bunch of studies recently that show the same thing. It was a relief to me too since I aim for three weight workouts a week but usually end up with two. Now I just need to increase my effort and maybe they will actually have an effect
    Even 1x week is beneficial. Lots of folks are doing the 2x. I do it a bit differently, but - heck - it all beats doing nothing.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A trainer once told me that twice a week will maintain fitness, three times a week will improve fitness.

This seems like a reasonable standard and practice.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is pretty positive info for us 50+ riders. Thanks for the word of encouragement.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I forgot to mention that I typically do weight training 3 times a week. I think this is really important. I have been riding more and have started neglecting visits to the gym. The bicycle is so much fun and the gym sucks. I know it is really important.; so, I will make a better attempt at continuing to do the weights regularly.

Osteoporosis runs in my family. My father, his sister and his father all had hip replacements. I was shocked to find my bone density is better than an average 21 year old. I think the weights are a big reason.

I can maximize the weights on the seated leg press machine. I think this allows me to accelerate really well.
    Just saw this post, and just want to say, your are right on!

I am 70 years old, and I preach the gym. The gym for me has pushed the aging process back, keeping arthiritis at bay, and letting me perform like a 40 year old..

BTW, I hit the gym 6 days a week...

One more time,

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started lifting weights in 1977 and have been consistent ever since. I have changed my routine to compliment sports such as running, skiing, tennis, golf and cycling. As I learned more about the importance of core work and balance, I have moved away from machines to free weights, bands, balance boards and etc. The bench press as I did it in 1977 is no longer used. I even did some step aerobic classes where I could have been the only male in the class of women.

I liked the step classes that also featured weights and body bars.

Today, my strength workout is set to compliment my cycling and primarily focused on strength for explosive efforts.

Unfortunately, I have to report that the best 60 - 64 sprinters at Masters Track Nationals could only do 12.5 second flying 200 meters compared to the 30 -35 who were doing 11:xx. However, 12.5 seconds requires a 37 mph average speed over the 200 meters. The 30 somethings got us by about 2 to 3 mph. Not much degradation for 30 years.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen about working harder to maintain muscle mass and strength. I am in my 60s and try to follow the general guidelines of Navy Seals. They could care less about bench press prowess. They focus on exercises like pull ups and parallel bar dips. My senior Vietnam era veteran friends and I can still do 10 pull ups followed by a pause of 30 seconds and then 10 dips. We do this 5 times for a total of 100 reps.
    We all believe exercising hard has helped our cycling endurance as well as enhance our other sports related activities requiring endurance.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And then there are the freaks.

Franz Hammer of Oro Valley, AZ is 73 and has won over 30 national championships. This last year, he won the U.S. National Time trial in his age group averaging 26 mph over a 20 km course And that's not all, kiddies. In a stage race in Tucson in 2010, his overall time would have placed him in the top 25 of Category 3 riders (those would be the young studs!)

I knew this man when he lived in the Pacific Northwest. A great guy...his last name says it all..
    "Learn how to handle hot things. Keep your knives sharp. And above all, have a good time" - Julia Child

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Pedale View Post
    And then there are the freaks.

Franz Hammer of Oro Valley, AZ is 73 and has won over 30 national championships. This last year, he won the U.S. National Time trial in his age group averaging 26 mph over a 20 km course And that's not all, kiddies. In a stage race in Tucson in 2010, his overall time would have placed him in the top 25 of Category 3 riders (those would be the young studs!)

I knew this man when he lived in the Pacific Northwest. A great guy...his last name says it all..
    He is very good but what you posted is not exactly true. Last year he was second in the ITT and won the road race at Natz. There are a number of racers similar to him I would not call them freaks. All the age groups have racers who have a lot of natural ability and rise up through the ranks quickly. Many of them do not continue to race as they age. What is impressive with guys like Hammer is the ability to keep up the training to stay in top condition year after year. They thrive on the punishment and competition.

I arrived at the track about a month ago and there was a guy warming up on the trainer in the parking lot waiting for the track to open. When it opened, he hit the track and started doing laps in the TT position. I was motorpacing warming up and it took 25 laps to come up to speed and pass him at 28 mph. He is going for the World one hour record. He holds it for I think 55+.

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, IMO, I have found out that a lot of aging is mental too. If other words, if your mind thinks young, IMO again, your performance and looks will be according to your thinking. At least it works in my case..

Here is one of my warm ups, yeah, I am about 68 in this vid..

http://www.cehoward.net/stclock.wmv

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    He is very good but what you posted is not exactly true. Last year he was second in the ITT and won the road race at Natz. There are a number of racers similar to him I would not call them freaks. All the age groups have racers who have a lot of natural ability and rise up through the ranks quickly. Many of them do not continue to race as they age. What is impressive with guys like Hammer is the ability to keep up the training to stay in top condition year after year. They thrive on the punishment and competition.

I arrived at the track about a month ago and there was a guy warming up on the trainer in the parking lot waiting for the track to open. When it opened, he hit the track and started doing laps in the TT position. I was motorpacing warming up and it took 25 laps to come up to speed and pass him at 28 mph. He is going for the World one hour record. He holds it for I think 55+.
    Thanks for correction (I relied on my memory). I was using the word "freak" in its kindest way. To me this is a bike rider who may have more natural ability than others, but who is also deeply focused on getting the most out of those qualities by dint of careful, relentless preparation. The resulting wins are a confirmation of the whole process.
    "Learn how to handle hot things. Keep your knives sharp. And above all, have a good time" - Julia Child

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast