Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I didn't bonk, barf or bloat......

on a 75 mile mountain ride that started off with a climb from 4800 to 6300 feet and contained a total of 3100 feet or so of climbing -- a new experience for this rider who is less than six months from medicare. But I have no basis for comparison and wonder if my nutrition was really optimal. It consisted of: a hearty dinner the night before, hearty potato, eggs, fruit breakfast and on the ride: two Hammer gel packs, two cans of V8 juice for some salt and potassium, 2-3 handfuls of a chocolate chip/dried fruit/nut mix my wife made, a banana, and for a boost about 2/3 of the way: a half-liter of iced coffee with skim milk.

The trip was the Fort Davis, Texas scenic loop which forces me to use a very overworked word that I generally despise: AWESOME!!! We did it in 5 1/2 hours riding time 7 hour total. I rode my homemade CF bike with flatbars, and $6 platform pedals pumped with my favorite steel-toe work boots. There are very few shoes that my feet will tolerate and I have never got clips or cleats down.

ELAINES_BEST_PIC..jpgSdc10763..jpgSdc10748..jpgNICE..jpg

Can't wait to go back!!
    Last edited by Don in Austin; 10-22-10 at 06:05 AM. Reason: more info

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!! Well done.

About nutrition - I could NEVER ride on that much food in my system. Wow, aren't we all different. My bod would simply shut down.

For me, a simple meal the night before and a bowl of oatmeal, skim milk and fruit in the am would be all that I could tolerate.

But - it worked for you - and that is the important issue!!

Good job.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your stomach felt fine and you felt fine I'd say you picked the right foods. Everyone is different and when you find what works for you keep at it.
    Cool pic with a "Y" bike behind you.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report. Looks like a pretty place to ride. Thanks for the pics.

Your food intake sounds about right to me and apparently it worked well for you.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    If your stomach felt fine and you felt fine I'd say you picked the right foods. Everyone is different and when you find what works for you keep at it.
    Cool pic with a "Y" bike behind you.
    Yep.....That was my partner David riding "Goldie." He had a little more conventional gear for a road trip than I did.

Don in Austin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you did just fine. As far as eating, it is always best to go what works for you.

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    on a 75 mile mountain ride that started off with a climb from 4800 to 6300 feet and contained a total of 3100 feet or so of climbing -- a new experience for this rider who is less than six months from medicare. But I have no basis for comparison and wonder if my nutrition was really optimal. It consisted of: a hearty dinner the night before, hearty potato, eggs, fruit breakfast and on the ride: two Hammer gel packs, two cans of V8 juice for some salt and potassium, 2-3 handfuls of a chocolate chip/dried fruit/nut mix my wife made, a banana, and for a boost about 2/3 of the way: a half-liter of iced coffee with skim milk.

The trip was the Fort Davis, Texas scenic loop which forces me to use a very overworked word that I generally despise: AWESOME!!! We did it in 5 1/2 hours riding time 7 hour total. I rode my homemade CF bike with flatbars, and $6 platform pedals pumped with my favorite steel-toe work boots. There are very few shoes that my feet will tolerate and I have never got clips or cleats down.

ELAINES_BEST_PIC..jpgSdc10763..jpgSdc10748..jpgNICE..jpg

Can't wait to go back!!
    You might want to consider 'shopping around' for some cycling-specific shoes. Not only are they designed to transmit pedaling power more efficiently to the pedals (stiff soles, etc.), but you could be saving up to a pound PER FOOT of 'rotating weight'!

Everyone has preferences for footwear, so it may not be easy to find shoes that work for you, but IMHO it would be worth the effort, when you get the result.

Great shots of the ride, and congrats on "gettin' her done"!

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not al ot of shade trees in that part of the country, are there?

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badamsjr View Post
    You might want to consider 'shopping around' for some cycling-specific shoes. Not only are they designed to transmit pedaling power more efficiently to the pedals (stiff soles, etc.), but you could be saving up to a pound PER FOOT of 'rotating weight'!

Everyone has preferences for footwear, so it may not be easy to find shoes that work for you, but IMHO it would be worth the effort, when you get the result.

Great shots of the ride, and congrats on "gettin' her done"!
    I understand. There just isn't much out there in 8 1/2 EEE -- let alone with cleats. I have worn other shoes that should have been good and ended up with plantar fasciitis which is a curse from hell! Went back to the work boots and eventually it went away.

Don in Austin

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    Not al ot of shade trees in that part of the country, are there?
    Not too much shade at all but it was only in the 70s or so and dry -- wonderful weather!

Don in Austin

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good variety of nutrition. The area looks a lot like the southwest desert around southern Nevada. Its a beauty all its own. And this is the time of year to ride.

Congrats! 75 miles on in mountains is an accomplishment. Nice pictures.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experience and the photos. This is one of my favorite places in the country and I dream of doing the ride that you did. Maybe next year....

~pam

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you enjoyed the ride and nothing wrong with the ride food either.

But have to agree about the footwear. Although they may be comfortable and fit you better than other shoes- I should think the comfort comes from a stiiff sole. They will cost and cannot be done by Mail Order- but get out to a shop that has a good array of footwear. Plenty of different manufacturers out there that make various widths and types of shoe but a cycling specific shoe does give comfort and efficiency on the bike. That is subject to your particular foot problem of course- but you don't have to go clipless at the same time.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride! Nice to do it with friends. I tend to ride alone.

Others have said "eat what works for you". Only thing I would suggest is eat a little bit, but frequently.

How much water did you drink, along with the V8 juice and cold coffee? I'd need 3 quarts, and probably carry one more unless there is a convenience store on route.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    Great ride! Nice to do it with friends. I tend to ride alone.

Others have said "eat what works for you". Only thing I would suggest is eat a little bit, but frequently.

How much water did you drink, along with the V8 juice and cold coffee? I'd need 3 quarts, and probably carry one more unless there is a convenience store on route.
    No convenience stores in this country! Quite desolate -- beautifully so. I probably drank a total of well over a gallon of water. My wife did SAG for us so I only had to carry two bottles and occasionally trade one in.

Don in Austin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    Sounds like a good variety of nutrition. The area looks a lot like the southwest desert around southern Nevada. Its a beauty all its own. And this is the time of year to ride.

Congrats! 75 miles on in mountains is an accomplishment. Nice pictures.
    Yes, the desert, SW US of A has an amazing beauty that takes a bit to appreciate.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcq View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience and the photos. This is one of my favorite places in the country and I dream of doing the ride that you did. Maybe next year....

~pam
    Stay in touch then. We are going to get together a small group and go back in the spring. We will also do the ride to Chinati Springs which we failed to do this time because it was closed for a private party.

NO EXCUSES!

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
    Stay in touch then. We are going to get together a small group and go back in the spring. We will also do the ride to Chinati Springs which we failed to do this time because it was closed for a private party.

NO EXCUSES!

Don in Austin
    Too funny - I am wearing my Chinati tee shirt today. I was in Marfa, as well as driving the Ft Davis loop, in March. I will stay in touch.
    ~pam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the ride, and thanks for the pics.

Around 5 or so years ago when I resumed cycling, I rode several rides in the Junction, TX area. Drivers in Kimble County, TX were respectful of cyclists, and the scenery was nice. I wasn't riding any particularly long rides at that point. Water would be a problem on some of the routes.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcq View Post
    Too funny - I am wearing my Chinati tee shirt today. I was in Marfa, as well as driving the Ft Davis loop, in March. I will stay in touch.
    ~pam
    My daughter moved to Marfa less than a year ago. My wife has been to Chinati Springs on a different trip, but I have not. I hear that it is a pretty spectacular trip also. Would you agree? I am told that, while you don't need a hard-core MTB, you need something a little more rugged than a pure road bike for the last 20 miles of dirt road.

When we go in the spring, we will have SAG courtesy of my wife, which is kind of a good idea for these desolate areas with no cell phone coverage. And, anyway, who wants to be burdened with a gallon+ of water & tubes and tools etc? So nice to just swap out a water bottle when you catch up with the car which does a 10 mile leapfrog behind and in front of you

Don in Austin