Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-10, 06:17 AM   #1
ThatBritBloke
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baker's Cyst behind knee.

Anyone else had this? A swelling behind the knee joint. Hardly registers as a discomfort, but unlike in the past where it would appear and disperse rather quickly, this time it seems to be rather persistent.

It doesn't even interfere with cycling. I'm just wondering if there's something I should be doing ... or not doing to help it go.
ThatBritBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 06:36 AM   #2
ahsposo 
Titanic Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
I had that when I ran.

My running partner was a physician and he diagnosed it and didn't think it was cause for much concern. Seems like he thought I didn't stretch properly warming up and cooling down. Really felt weird but didn't give me any pain.

I can't remember any real pattern to the cyst's occurrence. Didn't happen all the time. I would take it easy for a couple of days and it would clear up.

Never occurred from cycling as I can remember.
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 08:33 AM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am seriously hoping that this is not serious. If Bakers have Cysts and they are contagious- Pie could be delayed if Bakers have an ailment

Pain is not the best of things to have so hopefully it will heal and quickly.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 09:23 AM   #4
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a large one in the rear of my right knee. Sometimes it's like there is a golf ball buried back there somewhere. Usually it pops up after I sit still for a long time (car trip, etc.). Whenever I get to moving around it usually shrinks. But, as ahsposo says, there is no real pattern to it swelling. It's more annoying than it is uncomfortable. And it's only one of myriad of things that are wrong with my right knee.
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 10:19 AM   #5
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
I have a large one in the rear of my right knee. Sometimes it's like there is a golf ball buried back there somewhere. Usually it pops up after I sit still for a long time (car trip, etc.). Whenever I get to moving around it usually shrinks. But, as ahsposo says, there is no real pattern to it swelling. It's more annoying than it is uncomfortable. And it's only one of myriad of things that are wrong with my right knee.
Originally posted by ThatBritBloke

"Anyone else had this? A swelling behind the knee joint. Hardly registers as a discomfort, but unlike in the past where it would appear and disperse rather quickly, this time it seems to be rather persistent.

It doesn't even interfere with cycling. I'm just wondering if there's something I should be doing ... or not doing to help it go."

I just had my left knee "scoped" back in August. Until the MRI proved differently there was some discussion of a possible Baker's cyst. My surgeon told me he had never seen a Baker's cyst in a knee that didn't have other problems. These things usually don't just go away and can exacerbate further complications. Consult a physician if you haven't already.
On the bright side I was riding my bike, albeit gingerly, 3 weeks after my surgery. Where I live it is pretty flat, but still I was wary of falling and luckily I didn't. It has been great therapy and has kept me from becoming part of the couch. Walking is still harder for me than riding my bike.

Last edited by slorollin; 10-23-10 at 10:24 AM.
slorollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-10, 10:37 AM   #6
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
They thought I might have had one back in April. My knee had been sore and stiff, and when I stepped off a porch it felt like a balloon instantly inflated and then burst on the back of my left knee. Ortho Doc said it was only arthritis, even though I could barely walk for a few days.
Old 10-23-10, 02:06 PM   #7
pmcq

Bikes: Trek 1.5 2009
I have one and have had it for 15 years. It was created when I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Surgery fixed that problem and while the cyst never went away totally, it was not very noticeable. Two years ago, I started running for the first time. Within a few months the cyst was larger and bothersome. I had the knee checked out again and discovered mucho arthritis. The more impact, the more stress, the more the cyst grows until I have trouble bending at the knee. Doc says that nothing will make a difference other than avoiding impact and stress. Threw out the running shoes; luckily cycling doesn't seem to stress that knee at all.
~pam
pmcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 05:55 PM   #8
Terex

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had one a couple of years ago. Very painful. Kept me off the bike for about a month, and limited riding for a few months after that. Didn't go away completely for about a year. Cause? Raising saddle a little too high for two rides on one weekend.

If you've made a recent adjustment to your bike, changed bikes, changed saddle, changed bike shoes, etc., you may have raised your effective saddle height enough to over-extend your knee on the downstroke. Or may be totally unrelated to riding.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 12:16 AM   #9
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I had a surgeon look at my knee thirty years ago. He thought the bulge behind my right knee was a cyst and should be removed. Since I knew it was a torn tendon sheath (old basketball injury), I declined his kind offer to hamstring me. Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, cutters gotta cut.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 09:02 AM   #10
ahsposo 
Titanic Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terex View Post
I had one a couple of years ago. Very painful. Kept me off the bike for about a month, and limited riding for a few months after that. Didn't go away completely for about a year. Cause? Raising saddle a little too high for two rides on one weekend.

If you've made a recent adjustment to your bike, changed bikes, changed saddle, changed bike shoes, etc., you may have raised your effective saddle height enough to over-extend your knee on the downstroke. Or may be totally unrelated to riding.
I think Terex may have hit upon the OP's possible cause. Overextending is a cause of this type of cyst from what little I've read about them.

How about it, TBB? What about your bike fit?
ahsposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 03:11 AM   #11
ThatBritBloke
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Bikes:
For me overextending doesn't seem to be the cause. At least, it seems to be initiated by bending the knee to the extreme with pressure, such as getting into a crouch position.

Bike fit? Full pro bike fit (on all bikes) with regular appraisals. I'm back riding and this seems to have alleviated the problem with the cyst slowly dispersing.

Strange, I know.
ThatBritBloke is offline   Reply With Quote