Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-10, 08:33 AM   #26
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Have seen dead deer by the roadway twice in the last two years on my commute from the suburbs to The City. Had not seen any, dead or alive, in the previous 22 years.
Old 10-24-10, 03:23 PM   #27
Bare Feet

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
One of my friend's comments was that he was upset this happened to me, but was glad it was me and not one of the women riding in our group. I am 6'2" tall and weight about 230 pounds. He said if it had hit one of the women, all of whom are much smaller and ride smaller bikes, it would have been a lot worse. There is always a bright side.

As I am writing this sitting at my desk I am feeling much worse than right after the accident, but there still does seem to be no broken bones. My sight is clear. It just hurts in a lot of places. I am very lucky.
I am a small woman on a small bike. I don't know how our injuries would've compared, as I would've hit with less force, but I do know that I would've been freaked out! I do appreciate the sentiment behind you and your friend being considerate of the women . . very sweet.

Sorry you're feeling worse today. Don't put off getting checked out if you have any symptoms that could be related to head, neck or back injury.
Bare Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 04:23 PM   #28
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
First suicide squirrels, now helicopter deer. Glad you aren't hurt worse. I'd still go and get checked out by an MD.
Old 10-24-10, 07:32 PM   #29
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
oh my
Old 10-24-10, 08:39 PM   #30
jcushing
Flying Dutchman

Bikes: Trek 1.1 Alpha
This is a crazy story.

Did that deer have his pilots license?
jcushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 06:40 AM   #31
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I seem to have near-misses at least once every other week, especially in the spring and fall when I'm commuting at/near dusk. Once deer get a notion that they're going to cross the road, NOTHING will dissuade them. Car coming? Bah! Waiting would be like watching the predator catch them! They just need to run faster!

My buddy, who rides a lowracer, claims he ran *under* a deer once. I believe him, he showed me the deer hair stuck in his helmet.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 07:58 AM   #32
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
Tough break, BA. On the other hand, you now have a great cycling story.
+1 But not a recommended way to get a great story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Gotta say this - get yourself checked out ASAP by an ER or whatever. You may have sustained injuries that have not yet shown up.
+1 I broadsided a dog this summer and did a similar aerial flight and then hit the pavement. The retina of my right eye partially detached. Didn't notice it until day two after the accident. Get checked out.
Old 10-25-10, 08:28 AM   #33
Terrierman

Bikes:
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Wildest crash story I've ever read. Take care of yourself and what kind of bike is up next?
Old 10-25-10, 08:46 AM   #34
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
Probably a mistake to read this thread just as I'm about to get ready for a ride on the rail trail! Hope the bike and you heal up soon.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 08:50 AM   #35
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
Hope you are back on your bike soon.
CHAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 09:09 AM   #36
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
Wildest crash story I've ever read. Take care of yourself and what kind of bike is up next?
Actually, I was already in the process of building a new Gunnar Raodie. I was in no hurry as my Trek 5500 is (or was) a great bike. Now I will get very busy with the new build.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 11:07 AM   #37
Consularrider

Bikes: Giant Transend, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA
I regularly see deer as I'm riding along a local rail trail in an inner VA suburb or out on more rural roads. Two weekends ago I must have had the same group of three deer run out in front of me twice at about the same place on a suburban road in Maryland, the first around 8:30 am, the second aroung 5:30 pm. It seems that if they are standing still, they will break away from the road, and then cut back across it just as you get to the spot, (are they suicidal like the squirrels?). In September at a century event, a group of about 12 riders about 15 seconds ahead of me had a pair of deer bolt on them, one took down a rider a couple back from the leader.

After hitting three deer on the same stretch of roadway in south central Indiana, and seeing all the deer here while I am cycling, I seem to always be on scanning mode for them. After a local cyclist died after a collision with a groudhog, I've been scanning for them too. Maybe it also helps me avoid cars?

Lastly, will the driver's insurance cover your bike loss since it knocked the deer into you?
Consularrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 11:11 AM   #38
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
One last update. I finally talked with the rider that was behind me and was not involved. I asked him if he had read my account and how accurate he found my report. He said he found it to be factually accurate. The one thing he added was that my account did not convey how violent the hit was when the deer hit my bike. He said he saw and especially heard the impact when the deer took my bike down. He said he heard things breaking and did not know how I could have possibly walked, or staggered away. Maybe I am even luckier than I thought.

The recovery is going well. I am about to try to take my little dog for a walk for the first time since the crash.

Last edited by BikeArkansas; 10-25-10 at 12:03 PM.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 02:56 PM   #39
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Quote:
The deer was dead immediately.
'cause it wasn't wearing a helmet.

Hope you feel better soon!

I once saw a deer standing on the side of the freeway entrance ramp. I slowed down to about 20 MPH, but just as I was passing, the deer suddenly ran full tilt into the side of my pickup. Now, whenever I see a deer close by, I slow down to a crawl.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 03:52 PM   #40
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm glad to know that your survived to report the ride. That is a 1 in a kazillion thing.

You can check out youtube, but I don't think there are any videos to train you for dodging a Deer thrown in the air by a Tahoe that then lands on your front bike tire.

But the head and neck thing, that sounds like a visit to Mr. Xray is in order! The K rim is replaceable, you ability to function isn't.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-10, 05:21 PM   #41
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
But the head and neck thing, that sounds like a visit to Mr. Xray is in order! The K rim is replaceable, you ability to function isn't.
Years ago, my brother-in-law fell from a power pole. Unbeknownst to him, he had a Cervical-2 break in his spine from the fall with no symptoms whatsoever. A C-2 is life threatening. He walked around for some time, not in any way realizing that any further trauma at all would damage his spinal cord and likely kill him. It was only when being examined and x-rayed for another problem was his injury discovered and appropriately treated.

Today, he is running for SHeriff of Chaffee County in CO (at age 68) instead of pushing daisies in a plot.

PLEASE . . . .

It is cheap insurance.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 09:40 PM   #42
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
Wow! That's quite a crash story. Glad you are ok.

In July my SO and I were road riding at night in a rural area, Nightrider lights and all, when a big raccoon ran out of a ditch and knocked the bike right out from underneath him. He never saw it. He said that one moment he had reached out to adjust the light on his handlebar and the next moment he was looking up at an EMT. He got a grade 3 concussion, he was wearing a helmet. The bike, a Surly Crosscheck, had nary a scratch.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dragon
eofelis is offline   Reply With Quote