User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have seen dead deer by the roadway twice in the last two years on my commute from the suburbs to The City. Had not seen any, dead or alive, in the previous 22 years.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    One of my friend's comments was that he was upset this happened to me, but was glad it was me and not one of the women riding in our group. I am 6'2" tall and weight about 230 pounds. He said if it had hit one of the women, all of whom are much smaller and ride smaller bikes, it would have been a lot worse. There is always a bright side.

As I am writing this sitting at my desk I am feeling much worse than right after the accident, but there still does seem to be no broken bones. My sight is clear. It just hurts in a lot of places. I am very lucky.
    I am a small woman on a small bike. I don't know how our injuries would've compared, as I would've hit with less force, but I do know that I would've been freaked out! I do appreciate the sentiment behind you and your friend being considerate of the women . . very sweet.

Sorry you're feeling worse today. Don't put off getting checked out if you have any symptoms that could be related to head, neck or back injury.
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First suicide squirrels, now helicopter deer. Glad you aren't hurt worse. I'd still go and get checked out by an MD.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1 Alpha
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a crazy story.

Did that deer have his pilots license?
    Trek 1.1 Alpha

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to have near-misses at least once every other week, especially in the spring and fall when I'm commuting at/near dusk. Once deer get a notion that they're going to cross the road, NOTHING will dissuade them. Car coming? Bah! Waiting would be like watching the predator catch them! They just need to run faster!

My buddy, who rides a lowracer, claims he ran *under* a deer once. I believe him, he showed me the deer hair stuck in his helmet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    Tough break, BA. On the other hand, you now have a great cycling story.
    +1 But not a recommended way to get a great story.

Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Gotta say this - get yourself checked out ASAP by an ER or whatever. You may have sustained injuries that have not yet shown up.
    +1 I broadsided a dog this summer and did a similar aerial flight and then hit the pavement. The retina of my right eye partially detached. Didn't notice it until day two after the accident. Get checked out.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wildest crash story I've ever read. Take care of yourself and what kind of bike is up next?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably a mistake to read this thread just as I'm about to get ready for a ride on the rail trail! Hope the bike and you heal up soon.

My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you are back on your bike soon.
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

Homophobia is so gay.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Wildest crash story I've ever read. Take care of yourself and what kind of bike is up next?
    Actually, I was already in the process of building a new Gunnar Raodie. I was in no hurry as my Trek 5500 is (or was) a great bike. Now I will get very busy with the new build.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Giant Transend, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly see deer as I'm riding along a local rail trail in an inner VA suburb or out on more rural roads. Two weekends ago I must have had the same group of three deer run out in front of me twice at about the same place on a suburban road in Maryland, the first around 8:30 am, the second aroung 5:30 pm. It seems that if they are standing still, they will break away from the road, and then cut back across it just as you get to the spot, (are they suicidal like the squirrels?). In September at a century event, a group of about 12 riders about 15 seconds ahead of me had a pair of deer bolt on them, one took down a rider a couple back from the leader.

After hitting three deer on the same stretch of roadway in south central Indiana, and seeing all the deer here while I am cycling, I seem to always be on scanning mode for them. After a local cyclist died after a collision with a groudhog, I've been scanning for them too. Maybe it also helps me avoid cars?

Lastly, will the driver's insurance cover your bike loss since it knocked the deer into you?

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last update. I finally talked with the rider that was behind me and was not involved. I asked him if he had read my account and how accurate he found my report. He said he found it to be factually accurate. The one thing he added was that my account did not convey how violent the hit was when the deer hit my bike. He said he saw and especially heard the impact when the deer took my bike down. He said he heard things breaking and did not know how I could have possibly walked, or staggered away. Maybe I am even luckier than I thought.

The recovery is going well. I am about to try to take my little dog for a walk for the first time since the crash.
    Last edited by BikeArkansas; 10-25-10 at 12:03 PM.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The deer was dead immediately.
    'cause it wasn't wearing a helmet.

Hope you feel better soon!

I once saw a deer standing on the side of the freeway entrance ramp. I slowed down to about 20 MPH, but just as I was passing, the deer suddenly ran full tilt into the side of my pickup. Now, whenever I see a deer close by, I slow down to a crawl.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to know that your survived to report the ride. That is a 1 in a kazillion thing.

You can check out youtube, but I don't think there are any videos to train you for dodging a Deer thrown in the air by a Tahoe that then lands on your front bike tire.

But the head and neck thing, that sounds like a visit to Mr. Xray is in order! The K rim is replaceable, you ability to function isn't.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
    But the head and neck thing, that sounds like a visit to Mr. Xray is in order! The K rim is replaceable, you ability to function isn't.
    Years ago, my brother-in-law fell from a power pole. Unbeknownst to him, he had a Cervical-2 break in his spine from the fall with no symptoms whatsoever. A C-2 is life threatening. He walked around for some time, not in any way realizing that any further trauma at all would damage his spinal cord and likely kill him. It was only when being examined and x-rayed for another problem was his injury discovered and appropriately treated.

Today, he is running for SHeriff of Chaffee County in CO (at age 68) instead of pushing daisies in a plot.

PLEASE . . . .

It is cheap insurance.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's quite a crash story. Glad you are ok.

In July my SO and I were road riding at night in a rural area, Nightrider lights and all, when a big raccoon ran out of a ditch and knocked the bike right out from underneath him. He never saw it. He said that one moment he had reached out to adjust the light on his handlebar and the next moment he was looking up at an EMT. He got a grade 3 concussion, he was wearing a helmet. The bike, a Surly Crosscheck, had nary a scratch.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12