Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle, deer, 61 year old rider

This morning I was riding with a group from my club. I was 3rd from back in a line of 8 riders when a deer crossed the road barely missing the riders in front of me. A Chevy Tahoe was meeting us and the deer ran into that vehicle. The deer flew into the air and landed on the asphalt and my front wheel. I did an immediate end over end.

I landed on my head and rolled forward, I think I tumbled twice, on the asphalt, and then down a grass ditch. I was able to get up with some help, but was not stable.

The deer was dead immediately.

A friend of mine did hit my bike and had a small crash. He and his bike are OK.

My fork broke in half. The fork is an Edge carbon fiber. Snapped in half. Many other things are damaged, but I have not felt like doing a complete assessment. I do that my brand new KSYRIUM SL front wheel is dead.

My helmet is cracked several places. My neck, back and head are all hurting. My left hand is pretty bad. My right leg is quite sore. However, I survived quite well, considering all.

Speed? Not sure. Would guess 17 MPH.

The one thing going through my mind is how I could have avoided this. Not often have I seen a deer hurling through the air at me when on a bike. New experience. It was just my time for a major crash.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your mishap. I can sympathize--I had one in 2005 that left me off work for three months--collarbone, glenoid neck, shoulderblade, a couple broken ribs that punctured my left lung. It sucks to hurt, but sucks even more not to be able to ride!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you came through it. The deer are running all over. Can't be too careful. That being said, I can't imagine what you could have done to avoid it. Hope you mend quickly.

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    This morning I was riding with a group from my club. I was 3rd from back in a line of 8 riders when a deer crossed the road barely missing the riders in front of me. A Chevy Tahoe was meeting us and the deer ran into that vehicle. The deer flew into the air and landed on the asphalt and my front wheel. I did an immediate end over end.

I landed on my head and rolled forward, I think I tumbled twice, on the asphalt, and then down a grass ditch. I was able to get up with some help, but was not stable.

My fork broke in half. The fork is an Edge carbon fiber. Snapped in half. Many other things are damaged, but I have not felt like doing a complete assessment. I do that my brand new KSYRIUM SL front wheel is dead.

My helmet is cracked several places. My neck, back and head are all hurting. My left hand is pretty bad. My right leg is quite sore. However, I survived quite well, considering all.

The one thing going through my mind is how I could have avoided this. Not often have I seen a deer hurling through the air at me when on a bike. New experience. It was just my time for a major crash.
    The good news -- to the extent that there is any -- is that your "helmet was cracked in several places." Without the helmet "cracked in several places" would have been in reference to your skull.

Don in Austin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough break, BA. On the other hand, you now have a great cycling story.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post

Wow, glad to hear you're OK. As for what you could have done? You could have slept through the alarm clock and not gone riding. Those things just happen too fast to respond to.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're okay.

What an accident. I don't think there was anyway to avoid it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... I see Deer on the local M.u.p. all the time; I guess I better watch them a little closer from now on, less they run out in front of me... As everyone else has said; glad you were able to at least walk (stagger) away from the crash.

The Deer in our area are getting to almost petulance levels. Deer hunting is quite popular in this area (my wife and I both hunt), but the Deer population is just growing faster than the hunters can keep it under control. I would dare say everyone I know, has either hit a Deer with their car, or had a very close call in the last five years. One friend of mine just hit one with her brand new Toyota Prius (less than one week old) just two days ago. She's now thinking about taking up hunting

Anyway glad to hear you didn't get injured too bad... It seems like auto insurance companies would start promoting Deer hunting in some areas, look at the money it would save them a year.
    Last edited by Bionicycle; 10-23-10 at 04:54 PM.
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta say this - get yourself checked out ASAP by an ER or whatever. You may have sustained injuries that have not yet shown up.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BikeArkansas, I'm sorry to hear about this accident, the damage to you, and the damage to your bike, and I'm glad you're in good enough shape to report on it. Heal quickly!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mend quickly.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that sounds scary. Glad you weren't hurt worse. Heal well.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take care, I hope you listen to your body carefully over the next few days and go back to the hospital for a thorough assessment if you have any warning signs of a concussion.

Glad you are not hurt worse; sounds like there is nothing you could have done.

Also, am sure you will have an expert shop look over your frame carefully for hidden damage as well.

OK, now that the serious stuff is out of the way, two more questions:

- who got the deer?
    - and, what's for supper?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! Hope you get all the TLC you need as you recover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Donnie Gay would say - "And he survived!"

Glad to hear you're relatively OK.

My son and I were riding in my Mazda Miata convertible today when we came up to a large buck on the side of the road. My son wanted to take a picture, so I stopped the car, and the buck squared off with the Miata. I tooted the horn. The buck snorted. I popped up the headlights, and he lowered his head. Seriously. I started to back up, and he decided to run into the woods. My son and I were laughing our butts off.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen any "Beware Of Flying Deer" signs, so I don't think this is something you could have anticipated. Glad to hear you came through it. End overs can have serious side effects. Been there, done that, it wasn't fun.
    As for your wheel. It may not be a total loss. Talk to your LBS. They may be able to send it directly to Mavic who may be able to rebuild it. It will still cost, but not quite as much.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Glad to hear you're 'merely' banged up and sore. Be sure to get anything that seems not right checked out.
    That deer have insurance that will cover your costs?

I hit a deer in a car a few months ago while vacationing in NH - came out of nowhere. That deer didn't have insurance so my insurance had to pay to fix our car.

A few weeks later on a club ride in rural Central Indiana, I was on a road with cornfields on both sides - there was a rustling to my right and then a deer burst out and ran right across the road and ducked into the other cornfield. He crossed about 20 feet in front of me - freaked me out a bit.

Report back with a damage report for the bike.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That dear thought it was a squirrel. Happens to them all the time. Hope you mend without any lasting damage.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live near "Ashdown Forest" where plenty of deer live. One of the ancient "Royal" Parks where hunting was strictly controlled and only for the "Gentry". Poaching was strictly controlled with severe punishment if you were caught.

Some of those Poaching laws still exist today and it is a peculiar thing that with all these "Wild" animals roaming about- there are bound to be accidents. One of the quirks is that if you kill a Deer- pheasnt- hare or other game animal with your car- you cannot take it away for your larder. As you are not "Gentry" and entitled to kill it- if you kill it and remove it- Then you are poaching.

So a Deer has just wrecked your car by jumping out in front of it and you can't eat it. However- the next person along can take it. In your case- The car killed the deer and then threw it at you. So by British law- you can pick it up and take it home and put it in the freezer. Except how will you get it home on a bike that is busted?

Sorry about the accident but I think it can be classed as not your fault. All you can do is pick up the bill for a broken bike and take up hunting to save anothe bike and rider from getting damaged.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE ON THE ACCIDENT: I spoke with my friend that was riding behind me. He also crashed when his bike ran over my bike. He said he did not see my tumble down the asphalt as he was flying down the ditch. However, he did see the deer hit my bike.

The update is that the deer did not land in front of me. My friend said the deer was flying through the air in a motion like a helicopter blade. When it hit me it was still airborne and simply took my bike from under me. That blow is what snapped my front fork and crumpled my wheel. He said when I went airborne down the asphalt his bike ran over mine. He said he then went airborne, but he landed on his back, still attached to his bike, in the grassy ditch. He slid some down the ditch and came to a halt. A problem he had was that he was still attached to his bike along with his bike being tagled with mine. He said he then saw me laying at the bottom of the ditch. He said he also saw the deer several feet away behind us in the ditch.

One of my friend's comments was that he was upset this happened to me, but was glad it was me and not one of the women riding in our group. I am 6'2" tall and weight about 230 pounds. He said if it had hit one of the women, all of whom are much smaller and ride smaller bikes, it would have been a lot worse. There is always a bright side.

As I am writing this sitting at my desk I am feeling much worse than right after the accident, but there still does seem to be no broken bones. My sight is clear. It just hurts in a lot of places. I am very lucky.

Thanks for all the comments. This has been such a "different" experience for me. Your comments and humor are very welcome.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad things are looking up. Deer are a problem everywhere-- I am in Northern Virginia and ride a MUP into Washington DC regularly (commuting)--This timeoof year it is in the dark. I have had several 'close calls'--meaning deer passing within 30 feet or so. Once I couldn't see it, but I could smell it. Very gamey smell. Never did see the deer-- it was probably ust out of the view of my headlight. I always slow down when I see a deer because often as not there is more than one, and they are totally unpredeictable.

Mend well and see if your home owners insurance will cover the cost of repair--

train safe-

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not your every day ride report. Wow! Glad to hear that it did not turn out worse than it did. Heal well and get yourself checked out to make sure there are not injuries you don't see.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deer

Glad to hear you are not too badly injured. I see many deer every day at 4:45A.M. and at dusk. I like to think I have some ability to spot them, however yesterday I saw a deer coming through some sparse woods headed towards the road and was able to avoid it. Had she been in dense woods she would have popped out right in front of me and there would have been no way to avoid it.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get well soon.

I realize the snapped fork was a result of your collision, rather than a cause, but those of you who ride carbon fiber forks should inspect them frequently for small scratches and cracks, because I know of cases in which fork failure caused a crash.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy smokes. Heal well.
    Time to go bike shopping!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast