User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May not make my 3rd goal for the year

In January I decided I would do three things this year: 1. Ride a metric century. 2. Ride my age.
    3. Ride a century.

Did the first two over the summer. Now with the colder weather and shorter days I don't think I will be able to complete the 3rd goal this year. Today I did not ride at all partly cause of the cold and partly because of family commitments. Maybe I will get lucky and get one of those surprise days we sometimes get here in Maine. Sure hope so.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Maine too. Yesterday I rode to work in the morning and it was 33 degrees out. I wore synthetic base layer pants with shorts over them, wool socks, a merino wools base layer top, wool sweater, light wind jacket, light gloves, winter hat (the kind that fully covers the ears... it fit surprisingly well under my helmet).

I was plenty warm, even from the start. About 6 miles into the ride I was actually so hot I took off the hat and gloves.

I can't say enough good things about wool. It doesn't have to be cycling specific, you can get a thin merino wool sweater pretty cheap at thrift shops or TJ Maxx and wear any wool sweater over it.

So don't give up on your goal, you can ride comfortable in the cold.

Congrats on the first two goals
    "I have no idea what I'm doing... but I know I'm doing it really really well."

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skeedaddle over to Tucson, AZ we've got a 109 mile event on Nov. 20 with over 9,000 bicyclists expected.
    It's called El Tour de Tucson.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today could have been a day to do a century ride. Turned out to be a beautiful Indian Summer Day. Did 26 miles this morning and then we went to a movie in the afternoon. Forecast had been for rain. Turned out sunny, mild with light winds.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Mitchl,

Wool is wonderful for keeping you warm and dry. Sheep have been perfecting it for thousands of years! I live in SoCal now, but when I lived in MO and SoIL I used to ride the Polar Bear Century every January.

Okay, so MO and IL don't get as cold as Maine, but still, this is Oct. not January, so you still have a chance. Get a few of your riding buddies together and go for it!

Remember: Wool is wonderful for winter (and any cold weather) cycling!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the forum elders, you will have plenty of days that are good enough to ride a century. Sometimes unplanned rest does a body real good. Just keep your head in the game, your body has what it takes.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a vacation in the Desert SW. Find something soon, plan a trip around a century. 2/3s is a great year, 3/3 would be a blast.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking on this very topic for the last few days. My season pass to the ski resort is purchased, skis are waxed and I'm getting fired up to feel cold wind on my face the the sweet hiss of snow underfoot. Nevertheless, today was a gorgeous day and I rode 30 miles on the East Bay Bike Path. The local bike club, the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen, has rides scheduled throughout the winter and I intent to keep pedaling unless there is snow and ice on the roads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me you got out and rode yesterday!

It was such a beautiful day.
    "I have no idea what I'm doing... but I know I'm doing it really really well."

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, two outa three ain't bad. If you miss one, try again next year. You could still do it with some warm gear, clement weather and a large dash of opportunism.

I think it is better to have a big list of goals and maybe miss one or two then to set low hurdles so you are guaranteed in clearing them. You did well.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no problem to riding in the cooler weather. The day has to be right with no rain and hopefully no wind. Then the only problem is cold. But how cold is cold. Below 40F and it takes a bit of thinking about but 40F+ and no real special gear required. Might need some leg warmers or tights but I would use the KNickers. Keep the knees warm and no problems. 2 pairs of socks helps and long fingered gloves. I do use a thermal base layer but S'S and L/S jerseys with a windproof topcoat is all I would require.The jacket would have a full length zip and be a light foldable one but you will soon get warm enough to not need any extra clothing.

Now below 40F and you will need some extra "Thermal" clothing. Socks- gloves and possibly ear protection. I also have an Assos winter jacket that would replace the lightweight top coat but I reckon that the best riding is done in the winter months.

So still a couple of months to get that 3rd goal achieved. Don't plan it for a particular day unless your weather reports are better than ours- just be ready to do it when the conditions permit.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan