Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really low step through frame

I'm trying to put together a list of very low step-through frame bikes so I can be on the look out on CL for something for my 77 year old mother. She just downsized from our big old family home to a condo in an urban development which is very bikable. She's been a cyclist (round town riding and a few days of RAGBRAI each year for a few years) in the past but not for several years.

She'd like "a few gears, nothing much", to be able to add a rack and panniers and something that's generally light, sturdy and easy to ride.

So far I have:
    Raleigh Circa
    Fuji Crosstown
    Schwinn World 21, Sierra and Voyager

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Biking and Baking!

Stop by the Park Hill Bike Depot at 28th and Fairfax in Denver, donate that old or outgrown kids or adult bike and order your dream bike! Your donation is tax deductible and all procedes go to fund educational, safety and bike access programs.

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is always something like this... http://www.sunbicycles.com/product_d...&cl1=BIKE+PATH
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

No I'm Not a Pirate! Bionicycle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another one along the same lines... http://biria.com/bicycles/eb/eb_top_3_white.jsp
    A bird can roost but on one branch, a mouse can drink not more than its fill from a river.

I reside with my wife "Cindy" in Fairborn, OH
    My Bikes
    2014 ICE Spring FSX, Trek 520, and Gary Fisher Parana Mountain Bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Townie Electra bikes also have a low step through and come in numerous gear ranges.

tcs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's the Dahon Briza, Ciao, and Glide in the very low step-over category. Quite a number of Dahon's other models have step-overs no higher than the Raleigh Circa you mentioned. These bikes would be easier to stow in a condo as well.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None lower than the Biria EZ Boarding series.

http://www.biria.com/bicycles/eb/eb_lite_8.jsp

I used to sell these when I ran a bike shop, and my customers loved them.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine, a formerly hard-core ultradistance rider, bought an Electra Townie after a broken femur didn't heal well. It's worth a try.
    You might also look at a Bike E, a sort of semi-recumbent. I've only ridden a rented one a few miles, but depending on what your mom's issues are, that could work.

My Bikes
    2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamis has a new model - the Hudson - which is available in a low step through.

I have a Townie and it is an easy rider - you should try one out.

Specialized also makes a nice bike with a low step through - the Expedition low entry
    Foxye, the Floribbean

2006 Trek Rail
    2009 Trek Lime
    2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7
    1980s Nishiki Road Bike
    1993 Cannondale V1000
    1994 Cannondale Killer V900
    1995 Cannondale M1000
    1996 Cannondale Killer V900
    1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3
    1997 Cannondale F1000
    1997 Cannondale Super V 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! These are very helpful!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Biking and Baking!

Stop by the Park Hill Bike Depot at 28th and Fairfax in Denver, donate that old or outgrown kids or adult bike and order your dream bike! Your donation is tax deductible and all procedes go to fund educational, safety and bike access programs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about the Biria

Hello,

As someone who sold them, what were your impressions of their quality? And for purposes of commuting (10 miles each way), would there be any significant difference between the 7 and 8 speed versions?

Thanks!

My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek's Pure might fit the bill too.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ecreation/pure

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small wheel bikes , like folding bikes have a low top tube to step over.
    I swing my leg easily in front on mine..

Whole thread in Folding bikes ..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kd Charlemagne View Post
    Hello,

As someone who sold them, what were your impressions of their quality? And for purposes of commuting (10 miles each way), would there be any significant difference between the 7 and 8 speed versions?

Thanks!
    The quality was generally OK. The worst issues I had were paint related. Two bikes, from different lots, presumeably the same colour would sometimes look radically different. The worst problem this posed for me was when I ordered a replacement fork for one customer's bike, and the colour was not even close.
    Also had a lot of them come out of the box with large discoloured areas Where the paint looked stained, but no amount of rubbing would get it out, as the staining was under the clear coat.
    I'd go 8 speed all the way, unless your commute is flat and easy, and then I'd consider a 3 speed.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    The quality was generally OK. The worst issues I had were paint related. Two bikes, from different lots, presumeably the same colour would sometimes look radically different. The worst problem this posed for me was when I ordered a replacement fork for one customer's bike, and the colour was not even close.
    Also had a lot of them come out of the box with large discoloured areas Where the paint looked stained, but no amount of rubbing would get it out, as the staining was under the clear coat.
    I'd go 8 speed all the way, unless your commute is flat and easy, and then I'd consider a 3 speed.
    Thanks for the response. The appeal of the EZ boards is primarily aesthetic. My primary concerns are with the hills (my commute would have some, not many, but they're steep), and with versatility (would the bike be limiting)? What was the sense you got from those who used them?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kd Charlemagne View Post
    Thanks for the response. The appeal of the EZ boards is primarily aesthetic. My primary concerns are with the hills (my commute would have some, not many, but they're steep), and with versatility (would the bike be limiting)? What was the sense you got from those who used them?
    Well, this is certainly not a performance bike, but with adequate gearing, it will handle hills much the same as any other comfort bike.
    I sold one with an 8 speed Nexus to a lady who used it to pull a kiddie trailer, and she got on just fine with it.
    Most, however went to older riders who looked for non challenging routes to ride. I sold far more 3 speeds than 8 speeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 59 with RA, and the Biria allows me to ride on the bad RA days. I did see what is perhaps a paint issue on the bike, but it doesn't bother me. When I was bicycle shopping I found that few of the bicycles I had researched were actually in any of the bike shops, and I visited and called a lot of them. When I tracked down a Biria I was just glad to have found something to ride. It seems to be working out okay so far, but where I live the issue is more dodging cars and broken pavement than hills.