User Tag List

My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruisers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbies going the distance

Hi folks - My wife and I are getting back into cycling...have not done any since being kids. We bought Schwinn 26" Cruisers (Target store) single speed.

Riding mostly on paved trails with minimum grades...did ten miles this weekend with much success.

A question: People with comfort/cruiser style bikes....do you regular ride very long distances, like many do with more sophisticated bikes?? What are some examples of distances you have ridden??

We may stretch our riding distances out, as we have a number of nice paved trails in our area.

Thanks for any input!
    -Tim

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently did a century and saw a guy with a Trek 7.3 doing just fine. People can ride long distances on hybrids if they get a hankering to do so.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to both of you for getting back into cycling

I don't ride a cruiser but my daughter has a Townie and her usual distance is around 20 miles. I imagine her distance is limited due to physical problems rather than bike comfort.

I think your mileage is up to you and how comfortable you are with longer distances. Have fun and enjoy those rides
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a rather hide bound and committed to road bikes. Like the Weak Link, I have seen people do long distances on hybrid bikes and enjoy it. I don't understand it but it happens.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a 40 miler at the start of the summer and it is a charity ride. There are all grades of riders on it and all grades of bike. Youngest I have seen was a girl about 8 years old on a single speed with training wheels still on it. She was about 20 yards in front of mum who was struggling along on an "OLD" dutch style bike. There are 10 year old lads doing it on BMX bikes and plenty of older riders on ancient bikes that get pulled out of the shed once a year for this ride. And then there is the London to Brighton that has a few slopes in it over the 54 miles. Once again plenty of older single speed bikes.

Providing you are not planning to ride a great number of hills- Then any distance you want to do is possible. Just make certain you have lights on as it may take you longer to get back than going out.-----Untill you get a bit fitter.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once saw someone riding a metric century on a mtn bike with wide knobbies.
    If you're comfortable with your bikes then enjoy them.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tim!

Paved trails sound lovely!
    My daughters ride single speed cruisers at the beach and they love them! They're no problem when it's flat, a little "trickier" on the hills. Worse comes to worse, you have to walk up a section of a hill . . oh wait never mind, do you have hills in North Florida? Add a little more distance each time you go.

Enjoy your new bikes and your travels on them : )
    2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 - WSD
    1982 Miyata three-ten (good times!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are no hills, gears really aren't needed. I used to do fourteen mile round trips along Ocracoke Island, NC, towing a eighty poinds of child and trailer. Most modern "cruisers" seem to come with strange, padded "bar stool" saddles that can be very uncomfortable for long trips. You might consider getting better saddles. If you just completed a ten mile trip, you can judge the need for new saddles much better than I can.

Enjoy!

Paul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode 350 miles on a tour on a mtn bike over Colorado passes. But, heck, I was only 58yo (taht was almost 13 years ago), and had only ridden for 3 months prior.

As long as it has 2 wheels (or at least one) and pedals, do what you like and enjoy. However, some bicycles are easier over distances than others.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that after you have ridden your single speed cruisers for a while you will come to realize that lighter bikes with a range of gearing will enhance your enjoyment of cycling, as you will be able to go farther faster. (Or, at the same speed with less effort)
    In the meantime, and always, enjoy the ride!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with an inexpensive Schwinn cruiser also. At first a few miles were all I could handle, due to my poor fitness, and the cruiser was fine. Soon though, I started commuting 4.5 miles, one way, to work and stretching it out on weekends. Much over 8 miles and I found the cruiser very uncomfortable. I bought a road bike and am now riding Approx 80 miles per week for commuting and weight loss.

I'd ride the cruiser as long as it's fun and comfortable. However, if you start getting uncomfortable don't just assume it's you. It may be the bike and perhaps you can try something different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can ride a far and long as you feel comfortable with. It doesn't really matter what kind of bike you do it on. It all depends on your enjoyment on the ride. Never let anyone tell you you can't do x miles on x bike, because that is just BS.
    Enjoy the Ride.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruisers
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow- a lot of replies in a short time....this is a great forum. I am really glad I found it! Thanks all for the input...it sounds like we should just ride however far we want, as long as it feels good!

My Bikes
    Road & Hybrid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An awful lot of bikes with gears, never shift!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find that the more you ride, the stronger you will become.
    Have fun.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI