Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news and bad news!

Well the good news is I started my new job Monday! I had been out of work for more than 18 months. The bad news is I am working 10-12 hour days that will eliminate my riding time during the week. I had just started riding in August and I truly love riding my bike. I couldn't wait to go every morning. I guess I can rack up some extra miles on the weekends to make up for lost time. I truly think riding my bike everyday helped me get my job. It makes you more confident and and gives you a sense of accomplishment that had been missing. Thanks to all of you for the motivation!

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new job! Any chance you can cycle commute? I work 10 hour days and that is the best way I've found to get some mileage in mid-week.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new job.
    +1 on the idea of bike commuting. Great way to stay in shape.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon

If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. -- Lance Armstrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately its about 18 miles each way with super busy roads which is way beyond my capabilities.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must feel great to be back at work. When my fellow employees start to moan a bit I remind them to look around a bit, its still tough out there! Once you adjust you'll find time to ride.
    Remember, not getting what you want can sometimes be a wonderful stroke of luck...

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim961 View Post
    Well the good news is I started my new job Monday! I had been out of work for more than 18 months. The bad news is I am working 10-12 hour days that will eliminate my riding time during the week. I had just started riding in August and I truly love riding my bike. I couldn't wait to go every morning. I guess I can rack up some extra miles on the weekends to make up for lost time. I truly think riding my bike everyday helped me get my job. It makes you more confident and and gives you a sense of accomplishment that had been missing. Thanks to all of you for the motivation!
    +1 I agree 100% that riding does that!

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new job! On the idea of bike commuting - any way you could drive part way every day, then ride maybe 8 or 9 miles in? Good luck either way.
    Faster than a sundial.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, a new job in this economy is quite an accomplishment. Just two additional words: bike lights.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ good idea!

Great news about the job! Congratulations!

I get your sadness of missing something you love and have had the freedom to do. Now you have something to look forward to . . . weekends on your bike!

My Bikes
    Jamis Quest Kona Dew
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new job.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can still bike commute . . .
    Haul bike in the car part way for mileage that's comfortable for you and on do-able roads.
    Bike commmuted for 16 years . . . gets rid of lots work tension/stress!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seenoweevil View Post
    Congrats on the new job! On the idea of bike commuting - any way you could drive part way every day, then ride maybe 8 or 9 miles in? Good luck either way.
    +1 I was going to make this suggestion. Or you could haul your bike to work and maybe ride a few miles at lunch time?

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjordan1959 View Post
    +1 I was going to make this suggestion. Or you could haul your bike to work and maybe ride a few miles at lunch time?
    That is a good idea - there is a group where I work that do that. However we do have lots of showers so people can clean up afterwords.

Tim - Congrats on the new job! If you are working so many hours is it also 5 days/wk or are you counting commute hours with the work hours?
    I get my rides in at 6AM - right now the ride is dark and cold but I get two days in. Lights are really needed this time of year, the Magic Shine light is an excellent product and so is the super flash tail light.

Find a way to get a ride or two in during the week - it really makes a big difference. Good luck.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.