Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-27-10, 06:35 PM   #1
tim961

Bikes:
Good news and bad news!

Well the good news is I started my new job Monday! I had been out of work for more than 18 months. The bad news is I am working 10-12 hour days that will eliminate my riding time during the week. I had just started riding in August and I truly love riding my bike. I couldn't wait to go every morning. I guess I can rack up some extra miles on the weekends to make up for lost time. I truly think riding my bike everyday helped me get my job. It makes you more confident and and gives you a sense of accomplishment that had been missing. Thanks to all of you for the motivation!
tim961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 06:42 PM   #2
CACycling

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
Congrats on the new job! Any chance you can cycle commute? I work 10 hour days and that is the best way I've found to get some mileage in mid-week.
CACycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 06:48 PM   #3
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Congrats on the new job.
+1 on the idea of bike commuting. Great way to stay in shape.

And Jesus looking upon them saith, "With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 07:08 PM   #4
tim961

Bikes:
Unfortunately its about 18 miles each way with super busy roads which is way beyond my capabilities.
tim961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 07:14 PM   #5
Jiffyjam

Bikes: Surly LHT
It must feel great to be back at work. When my fellow employees start to moan a bit I remind them to look around a bit, its still tough out there! Once you adjust you'll find time to ride.
Jiffyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 08:15 PM   #6
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim961 View Post
Well the good news is I started my new job Monday! I had been out of work for more than 18 months. The bad news is I am working 10-12 hour days that will eliminate my riding time during the week. I had just started riding in August and I truly love riding my bike. I couldn't wait to go every morning. I guess I can rack up some extra miles on the weekends to make up for lost time. I truly think riding my bike everyday helped me get my job. It makes you more confident and and gives you a sense of accomplishment that had been missing. Thanks to all of you for the motivation!
+1 I agree 100% that riding does that!
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 08:51 PM   #7
seenoweevil
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
Congrats on the new job! On the idea of bike commuting - any way you could drive part way every day, then ride maybe 8 or 9 miles in? Good luck either way.
seenoweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 06:33 AM   #8
NOS88

Bikes:
Congratulations, a new job in this economy is quite an accomplishment. Just two additional words: bike lights.
Old 10-28-10, 07:30 AM   #9
Bare Feet

Bikes:
^ good idea!

Great news about the job! Congratulations!

I get your sadness of missing something you love and have had the freedom to do. Now you have something to look forward to . . . weekends on your bike!
Bare Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 03:11 PM   #10
cyclechick31452

Bikes: Jamis Quest Kona Dew
Congratulations on your new job.
cyclechick31452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 11:29 PM   #11
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
You can still bike commute . . .
Haul bike in the car part way for mileage that's comfortable for you and on do-able roads.
Bike commmuted for 16 years . . . gets rid of lots work tension/stress!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 02:03 PM   #12
sjordan1959

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenoweevil View Post
Congrats on the new job! On the idea of bike commuting - any way you could drive part way every day, then ride maybe 8 or 9 miles in? Good luck either way.
+1 I was going to make this suggestion. Or you could haul your bike to work and maybe ride a few miles at lunch time?
sjordan1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 02:14 PM   #13
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordan1959 View Post
+1 I was going to make this suggestion. Or you could haul your bike to work and maybe ride a few miles at lunch time?
That is a good idea - there is a group where I work that do that. However we do have lots of showers so people can clean up afterwords.

Tim - Congrats on the new job! If you are working so many hours is it also 5 days/wk or are you counting commute hours with the work hours?
I get my rides in at 6AM - right now the ride is dark and cold but I get two days in. Lights are really needed this time of year, the Magic Shine light is an excellent product and so is the super flash tail light.

Find a way to get a ride or two in during the week - it really makes a big difference. Good luck.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote