Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My wife has been asking if I need/want a new bike. :-)

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-28-10, 11:55 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

I've been trying to decide if I want another road bike -- nothing special -- maybe something like a Felt F75, Cannondale Synapse Alloy, or a few other alloy or steel 105 models -- something around $2000 or less.

I've also been considering a mtn bike. I have never owned a mtn bike and have only ridden them after repairing when I was working at the bike shop. Most never appealed to me. But I do remember riding one or two that seemed very nice, but can't remember what brand they were.

For those of you who ride a mtn bike, can you offer a few suggestions? I'm not looking for a full suspension or high dollar bike. Probably around $1200 tops. Do I need disc brakes? My CX bike has cantilever brakes that work just fine.
Do I need to wear baggy shorts? I tried those when I was a bike commuter. They went in the giveaway bag after a week. I like bibs.
Final detail about me -- I'll soon be 66.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-28-10, 12:00 PM
z90

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker 2010 , Felt Z90 2008, Rans Rocket 2001, Specialized Hardrock 1989

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ask her if you take the $2000 and spend it on a supported tour cycling vacation.
Old 10-28-10, 12:14 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
First decide what type of terrain you plan to use the new bike on. Disc brakes can be nice or they can be essential, again, depending on what you plan to do with the bike. The is no "baggies required on MTB" rule but you can slip a pair of baggy shorts over your bibs if you want to look more like a conventional MTBer.
Old 10-28-10, 12:18 PM
Life is good

Originally Posted by CACycling
First decide what type of terrain you plan to use the new bike on.
I don't do big downhills on my CX bike. Too scary. But I ride my road bike downhill as fast as I can, but limit my max speed to <40 mph.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-28-10, 12:21 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You absolutely do not need disc brakes unless you are going to hammer hard down muddy mountain sides. At your age I doubt that's the case. I have two mtn bikes, one with disc and one with cantilever brakes. The newer disc equipped bike was about 1600 bucks and the brakes are mediocre and require fairly constant upkeep to prevent the squealing they tend to do. I was working on them just last night. My cantilever brakes are never touched...they just work. I wear bike shorts any time I'm on a bike. It just feels better. Shorts and gloves...always. There are huge variations on sizing, tube lengths and frame types with mtn bikes so take time shopping and note that if you will use your mtn bike primarily on the road as I do, shocks are not a big deal at all. You only need full shocks for serious off-road stuff imho.
Old 10-28-10, 12:57 PM
Life is good

I will be riding off-road. My road bike is for riding on the road. The off-road riding will be on flat to rolling terrain at local mtn bike parks.

Old 10-28-10, 01:07 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Sounds like a basic hard tail will do the trick. I'd be looking at Deore LX or above components (or the SRAM equivalent) and a lockout on the fork would be nice. Other than that, I'd just ride a bunch and see what seems to fit.
Old 10-28-10, 01:20 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hardtail MTB and there are plenty of good ones. Frames are all similar so choose the make and colour you like from one of the big names and that part is fine.

Disc brakes and Review the brakes fitted to the frame of your choice. There some good and some that you should not touch.

Wheels--MTB's are hard on wheels. Harder than a road or CX. My own personal choice but I do not like OM wheels- But I have a selection of Mavic rims with 36 spokes to an XT or Better hub. I do use the OM wheels but only for Winter use. Mud and muck will take the rims out on my V's within a full season so they do get used. But as I have not bought an MTB for several years- I only use handbuilts now.

Front suspension. Unless you are paying a good amount for a bike- then the OM Forks may not last that long. Not a bad thing as you will have researched the type of riding you do and the forks to go with it.

And baggies- Up to you. Only ever had one pair and they lasted till the end of the first ride. Got fed up with snagging them on the saddle- and paying out for the bandaid with the offs I had. None of my Off road mates use Baggies for this reason. We all have lycra- but be prepared for them to wear out quicker than on road. All that moving about on the saddle does make them go thin sooner than you think.

Every one will have their own personal recomendations but go with the brand you are happy with- or what the LBS stocks. But it is like all newbies to any form of cycling. You won't know what you want till get one and try it out. N+1 follows pretty quickly.

Edit-- Should have said that I am happy with V Brakes and the only downside is rim wear- but my Hubs and rims get knocked out pretty quickly. Disc wheels will last longer but they stil get damaged and need replacing. Groupset and the lowest I go is LX. That is acceptable but XT is better. (Like 105 and Ultegra) I have looked at the "NEW" 10 speed on MTB's and think if I were buying- I would still go 9 speed. Triple cranks- low gears and strength of chain are the reasons.

And Sizing. MTB's and standover can be very important--In fact Critical. Road bike fit would put you on an MTB frame that is too large. MTB's do have longer top tubes than road for a comparable size but you need to go smaller on MTB sizing. But even that will alter from manufacturer to manufacturer. I ride a 19" kona- 17" Trek-16" GT and the best fit is a 15" Bianchi.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 10-28-10 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 01:24 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got into mountain biking recently. Most of my riding is on roads and in the fall cyclo cross riding two or three times a week. I got the mountain bike because my son's and buddies ride them. After 5 rides I'm hooked on mountain biking. I don't intend for it to replace my road bike riding but rather to extend the season and riding opportunities.

In the past I used one of my son's Giant 26" full suspension bikes. After riding my other son's 29'er I knew what my next bike would be. I purchased a Stumpjumper Comp 29'er and love riding it. The trails and terrain in NE Ohio and Western PA where they ride is more suited for the 29 inch wheels. My disk brakes have not been an issue to date. I got the bike for around $1500.

I have mtb shorts and may wear them sometime but my 29'er has a fairly tall top tube due to the bottom bracket being up higher for ground clearance. Because of the dismounts/mounting in cyclo cross I use cycling shorts in order to keep the saddle from catching in the open baggy pantleg as I bring my leg up and around the saddle. I have to do the same with my mtb.
Old 10-28-10, 02:58 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I just picked up a 2008 Scott Spark 20 that is decked out with more than I will probably ever need. But I plan on riding the heck out of it.

If you have some steep terrain where downhill control is an issue then disc brakes are a must. I just made the switch from v-brakes and I weigh 220 pounds. The key is knowing what you can expect from your bike. I almost endoo'd getting out of my driveway the first time I tried the disc brakes. They will stop you on the proverbial dime.

The good thing about MTBing is that you can wear whatever you want, no one gives a rip. Just have a good time.

I have also made the jump to F/S from 20 years of HTs. It is so much smoother and the downhills are quicker with more control. I also have full lockouts on the suspension so climbing doesn't suffer.

I find that MTBing is more of a full body work out than Road riding, I would imaging that CX keeps the whole frame tightened up. I am 56 and hope to be riding 30 more years. Congrats on your good long riding life.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-28-10, 05:32 PM

Bikes: '10 TREK 7.7 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds like a jedi-mind trick. I bet your wife wants something for herself and will use you getting a new bike as leverage. BTW - go for TREK 2.3 $1500 - new Shimano 105-5750 - cable less hoods - pretty sweet.
Old 10-28-10, 07:59 PM
Life is good

Originally Posted by MorganRaider
This sounds like a jedi-mind trick. I bet your wife wants something for herself and will use you getting a new bike as leverage.
We don't work that way. The kids have been gone for a long time and we buy whatever we want when the urge hits us. Christmas, birthday, etc is every day.

Old 10-28-10, 09:56 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
With all the great singletrack around Atlanta, I would definitely go for the MTB since you don't have one. You can get a pretty nice hardtail for under $1200. The Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er looks nice. Although v-brakes would be fine, you won't find many bikes above the very low end without discs, mostly hydraulic. Deore or X.5 components are fine. SLX or X.7 or X.9 are even better. No need for baggy shorts unless you want them for modesty. Lycra works better and most serious offroad riders wear it.

If you really take to mountain biking, you'll be wanting full suspension soon.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 10-28-10 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 10:26 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Bikes: 4 Road 2 Mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds like a jedi-mind trick. I bet your wife wants something for herself and will use you getting a new bike as leverage. BTW - go for TREK 2.3 $1500 - new Shimano 105-5750 - cable less hoods - pretty sweet.
+1,000 on this.
Old 10-29-10, 07:05 AM
Life is good

This sounds like a jedi-mind trick. I bet your wife wants something for herself and will use you getting a new bike as leverage.
See my reply above.

She got something new yesterday. Its really for both of us but it was her idea and she picked the color, style, etc.

Old 10-29-10, 07:11 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
DAM! marry that girl!
Old 10-29-10, 07:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my bike on BD. There is so much debate about this I truely do not intend to start another. However, I did not want to spend a ton on my first bike in 30 years and I was not sure what I really wanted. I know are in a different boat as you ride already. Anyway, I got a Motobecane fantom 29er and love it. I put it together with no experience and rode for a few weeks but eventually took it to the lbs for a tune up and it rides like a champ. Components are XT and it was just under $600. Like you two, my wife and I get what we want but seldom over do things. I figured I could always upgrade when I figured out what type of riding I like. The one thing I did not anticipate was the "addition". I now am looking at road bikes because I love all of it.
Old 10-29-10, 07:23 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This sounds like a jedi-mind trick. I bet your wife wants something for herself
I made this epic bicycle movie last spring that includes your "back story". The ending of the movie allows for a sequel to be made at the right time.

https://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272413/

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 10-29-10 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I made this epic bicycle movie last spring that includes your "back story". The ending of the movie allows for a sequel to be made at the right time.

https://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272413/
That is hilarious. I am still laughing. I get the superhero garb as well. Nice touch. I have termed this quid pro quo means of acquiring toys as "mutually assured financial destruction". So my wife and I try to invoke a spirit of Detente. Tensions have escalated many a time with me acquiring new guitars and now a few new bikes, so right now I am in the "sell off old toys" mode to get back to Detente.
Old 10-29-10, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
See my reply above.

She got something new yesterday. Its really for both of us but it was her idea and she picked the color, style, etc.
Another Jedi-mind trick: "It's really for both of us" Is that what she said ? - hmm
Old 10-29-10, 09:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Mr Jet: These movies are excellent - very entertaining.