User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Bit of Road Rash to End the Season

Missed clipping in my left shoe after mounting and took a slow motion fall to port. After an initial evaluation determined no broken bones resumed my start and was shocked to find things were no longer arranged appropriately as there seemed to have occurred a dislocation of sorts in my crotch area. Fortunately when I dismounted and reassessed the situation I saw that my seat had rotated around 15 degrees to starboard. Phew! That was a relief! First tumble in two years. That let's me be worry-free for a fair amount of future riding.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa! What a tough day!

You had problems from the balls of your feet all the way up to the ....saddle.

Hope you've got it all sorted out and everything is shipshape!

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to read about the crash, good to read that the problem on the poop deck is squared away.

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost exactly the same thing happened to me a few years ago. A failed clip-out fall, resulting in a twisted seat. I was about five miles from home. That was a difficult trip back to base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar fall, unclipped the wrong side. As I fell I jerked the bike out from under and raised it up off the ground. On the bounce the left brifter clipped the ground and got a little scraped but the rest of the bike was fine. Thankfully my shoulder was fine, it was padded by my bruised ego!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you have listened to the postings about a Wedge to carry the puncture repair tools---and a Multi tool. I often wonder why I carry one and it is for those silly little adjustments that are required while out on the bike- that they are needed.

Only fall I have had on the road bike was due to not being clipped in. When i put pressure on the pedal- the foot slipped off and Tombay occured. Luckily at Low speed and onto grass.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking that one's antimony has been shifted out of wack by a fall would sure create a faster heart rate. Glad it was just the seat ajar.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    Missed clipping in my left shoe after mounting and took a slow motion fall to port. After an initial evaluation determined no broken bones resumed my start and was shocked to find things were no longer arranged appropriately as there seemed to have occurred a dislocation of sorts in my crotch area. Fortunately when I dismounted and reassessed the situation I saw that my seat had rotated around 15 degrees to starboard. Phew! That was a relief! First tumble in two years. That let's me be worry-free for a fair amount of future riding.
    Hmmm, no wonder it felt wrong! Isn't it funny that now we assume that equipment malfunctions are all anatomical and not mechanical? It is such a great relief to realize "Hey, its the bike and not me!". "Oh, joy".