Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: I'm a Weeny.

My Bikes
    Bridgeston xo-4, Specilazied Crossroads. Nishiki Spport. Centurion Elite RS.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Weeny.

I had a book due at the local library so I hopped on the ol' bike to see how well the wrench did at the LBS with his 49.99 tune up special. The old machine did pretty good. Felt just as good as some of those new bikes I test rode the other day. It was good to hear the wrench say that she's in good shape for a 13 yr old bike.
    I on the other hand I was surprised at what a weeny I became in the past couple years. I use to ride all over town taking pride in my vehicular skills while flipping off cagers. My skinny legs have become jelly and I found myself granny gearing it up the littlest hills......
    On the way back home I did notice a small rush of adrenaline and craved riding a little longer but being the couch potato I've become I opted to go home. But I did browse eBay looking over bike things for awhile. after that I came and visited here.
    Now slam some pep talk my way boys!

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I have gone through these droughts too, many times. The good news is you can't get any worse. And as you think about that adrenaline, you will want more..........so HTFU and keep on riding. what kind of bike is that anyway?

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corben,
    At least you had the decency to return your borrowed book in a timely fashion. Bike skills may be improved and regained at any point, yet respect for the sanctity of the lending library is a character trait that must always be maintained. Well done.
    Miss Kenton
    Reference Library Assistant

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ride, man. The fitness will come.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^ This. Ride at a comfortable pace. After a while you'll notice that your comfortable pace is faster and further.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you Miss Kenton! Yes. I am a man of integrity. Unless it involves traffic laws while riding. LOL!!! ( Just kidding! )
    Anyway I was on my 1997 Specialized Crossroads Hybrid again tonight! That's twice in one day folks! I had to get creamer for the mornig's coffee and figured I'd
    just charge up the ol' Nite Hawk and do a little night riding. I haven't done that in years! With a couple hours on the charger and the Nite Hawk was
    nowhere ready yet. So I went night riding without a front light! I did have a little red blinker on the seat post though. To be honest , in my neighborhood
    I'm more concerned about being mugged then hit by a car.
    Getting home I complained again to my wife that the hills seem so much harder then I remember. Then she reminded me that I gained at least 15-20 lbs
    since I quit smoking last Febuary.
    Duh!
    My waist has gained 4 inches since then and gravity has a stronger hold on me as well.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two rides on a 97 bike and although it may have been serviced at the LBS- you are blaming yourself for it not going as fast as it used to and it not wanting to go uphills unless you cajole it into working by putting a lot of effort into forcing it to work.

I think the fault is yours- you took it into a shop with all those new models to keep it company and they were telling the bike how things have progressed over the years. New and lighter materials- newer and better tyres and newer and better designs have come about in the last 13 years. The bike has an inferiority complex now and is feeling disheartened. Don't let it lapse into realising that it is past it and will never be able to do the job it used to.

The cure is in your hands. Take it out for frequent jaunts to the shops- take a few Flatter rides away from all those other road users to give it confidenece and don't push it too hard untill it settles back into regular use. Then gradually build up the milage and possibly speed to get the fitness back into it and lose a bit of weight from the Flab it has aquired from its period of inactivity.

It will be tough for a few weeks- but after that time- it will regain some of the strength back- It will stop wheezing going up the hills and in general some of the fitness it used to have will start to come back.

So the Ball is in your court. Give it a good chance to get fit again by treating it sensibly. Don't push it too hard and it may start giving back some of the attention and expense that you are giving it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Two rides on a 97 bike and although it may have been serviced at the LBS- you are blaming yourself for it not going as fast as it used to and it not wanting to go uphills unless you cajole it into working by putting a lot of effort into forcing it to work.

I think the fault is yours- you took it into a shop with all those new models to keep it company and they were telling the bike how things have progressed over the years. New and lighter materials- newer and better tyres and newer and better designs have come about in the last 13 years. The bike has an inferiority complex now and is feeling disheartened. Don't let it lapse into realising that it is past it and will never be able to do the job it used to.

The cure is in your hands. Take it out for frequent jaunts to the shops- take a few Flatter rides away from all those other road users to give it confidenece and don't push it too hard untill it settles back into regular use. Then gradually build up the milage and possibly speed to get the fitness back into it and lose a bit of weight from the Flab it has aquired from its period of inactivity.

It will be tough for a few weeks- but after that time- it will regain some of the strength back- It will stop wheezing going up the hills and in general some of the fitness it used to have will start to come back.

So the Ball is in your court. Give it a good chance to get fit again by treating it sensibly. Don't push it too hard and it may start giving back some of the attention and expense that you are giving it.
    Good advice for a old bike. Thanks

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep riding and your sense of humor. There's an interdependency there. You'll notice improvements in both as well as your waistline.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Corben,
    At least you had the decency to return your borrowed book in a timely fashion. Bike skills may be improved and regained at any point, yet respect for the sanctity of the lending library is a character trait that must always be maintained. Well done.
    Miss Kenton
    Reference Library Assistant
    And ditto from the Circulation Desk.

Tell us, did you also check out some more books?

FWIW, my new commuting panniers (Ortleib Sport Packer Plus) hold six hardcover novels each, with room to spare for snacks and a U-lock. Large enough for most "J" books for the grandchildren too. Waterproof and big ass reflector patches for safety, quick release mounting and shoulder strap lets you carry them right into the stacks for easy filling. Interior pocket holds library card, reading glasses, and other (lesser) valuables.

Highly recommended for all your cycling-to-the-library needs. (See also: Sig line, below.)

TSL, Circulation Desk Clerk
    Last edited by tsl; 10-30-10 at 08:55 AM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.