Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What i fear most while out riding is...

What little black cloud lurks in the back of your brain - what are you most afraid of happening while out on your daily ride?

Me? I'm always apprehensive about crashing and getting hurt. I'm also afraid of a breakdown while alone, miles from home, of something I can't fix on the spot.

When I think about all the miles I've ridden and places I've been, and the few things that have happened to me, my conscious mind tells me I can handle it. Still, I'm getting older and worry that one day, something will happen.

What about you? What do you think about before you hop on and start cranking? How do you try to be prepared for it?
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My greatest fear is that I'll keep going and not come back. That is, that this will be the ride where I say, "Screw work. I don't mind being poor. I'm just gonna ride everyday, all day."
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    My greatest fear is that I'll keep going and not come back. That is, that this will be the ride where I say, "Screw work. I don't mind being poor. I'm just gonna ride everyday, all day."
    Don't forget to take your debit card with you. You might get hungry. And you'll eventually need new tires!
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lying crumpled in a ditch, vultures circling overhead, and then somebody arrives, surveys the situation and....steals my bike.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest fear is getting run down or assaulted by one of the many undesirables around here.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No fears. What happens, happens.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cars, flats, and dogs are never far from my conscious thought, but my biggest worry is the speedometer reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest fear is getting run down by a motorist. I don't worry much about just plain crashing without help from a car or truck.

Being harassed by some nutcase is on my mind at times, as well.

I keep my bikes in tip-top condition so breaking down is not a concern (jinx).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today what could happen happenned and i was prepared.I just bought that 18 piece multitool and brought it with me for the first time.So,During the beginning of the trip my clips got loose and ,voila,screwdriver and fixed.Later I took a bad spill,dirt path and spinned out,and my brakes needed adjustment.Voila,Pedal wrench on the new tool and brakes were perfect.yeah,I'm okay.Wiser now about dirt paths!

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't worry that much, I use to worry a bit about log trucks, but over the years that was basically unfounded, so now I just give them a wave and we both keep rolling. One ride I did last November was a solo ride in the coast mountains. It was so isolated, deep in the forest, no houses, cars, trucks....nothing. I thought that I had little margin for error, a fall, mechanical problem and I'd be very alone. I rode it fine, as usual, but it did make me think about the possibilities. I guess I could fear that all the blueberry pie will be gone when I get to the cafe ;-)

Worry is a misuse of the imagination.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting hit by a car. Not worried much about dogs while riding, those happen at work.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is this one rough section i have to ride through going to and from work. Bad neighborhood but the only alternatives are high speed, dangerous highways. Lots of broken glass on the ground a always teenagers hanging out on all the corners.

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I really fear much is being hit by a car in some unpredictable manner. The everyday dumb stuff that people do while driving isn't so bothersome because I can anticipate and thus avoid it for the most part. But I fear things like drunk drivers, or the scenario that happened on my street a few weeks ago: someone was running from the cops, turned suddenly from the main street into the quiet side street, miscalculated the turn and took out about 30 feet of the neighbor's fence on the corner. They didn't stop.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting hit by an aggressive or "distracted motorist", but that is more of a "manageable concern" for me than a "fear".
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being attacked by low lifes is at the top of my list, dogs are next.

Having been hit by a car once already I'm very cautious around traffic (though not really afraid), and whatever breaks on the bikes I can deal with.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overcome your fears!
    Most things you worry about never happen . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Worry is a misuse of the imagination.
    The best words on the subject, ever. Yeah, sometimes we crash, sometimes we don't, but - such is life. There are no absolutes in this life, so you better enjoy and hammer it hard while you can. The only thing I fear the most, the thing that most of us fear the most, is living the this life to it's fullest extent. But everyday I try and let go of that fear, and I enjoy myself. Anything less is not enough. You have to enjoy life for every thing small and big that you get, to be able to say that you LIVE.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I have a single fear when riding--And that is not due to being young and No-Brain to not worry.

I ride sensibly and keep a good eye open for traffic and I get the respect back--I hope. On top of that there is a decent driving standard over here where I ride. I think that the only worry I do have is with regard to offroad riding. If anything happens on the road- you can bet your life I would be found by another road used shortly. But Offroad and it could be Hours or days before enyone would find me on some of the trails I ride. For that reason- my offroad bike of choice is the Tandem. Unless I really upset my co-rider- I will always have someone around tp pick up the pieces.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do focus on being SAFE - whatever the situation may call for.
    Always be prepared to change a flat and never use risky tactics around cars.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fear is the mind killer.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't call it a fear but it is a in the back of my mind ( A ledgon in mine at least) while riding i am kidnaped and my wife would expect the kidnappers to pay her to take me back

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that the days are shorter most of my riding is in the pitch dark on country roads. My fear is that some immature cycle-hating drunk is going to toss a half-full beer bottle out of his truck window at me as we meet on the road.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having 3 or 4 goathead flats in a row with only two tubes - and yes, that has happened. I am absolutely lousy at patching tubes in the field, and, at times, it is almost impossible to find a goathead embedded in the tire to remove the cause of the flat. Also, often the hole in the tube is so small that, upon removing the tube, without inserting the tube in soap and water - even under pressure- one cannot find the leak.

How do I prepare?

Well, I carry two tubes, a variety of patching material including stick-ons, and mostly a good cell phone with the address book filled with a number of friends who would gladly pick me up. However, my wife and our "sagmobile" would be the first I would call.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I did my first road ride on my mountain bike, 25 miles. I want to do longer rides and am considering a road bike. It was a much tougher ride then I had anticipated, very hilly with a stiff headwind. I was taxed a bit but loved it. I did, however, not like the cars whizzing by all that much. Most of the roads are country roads with zero shoulder. Traffic was minimal until one stretch of about three miles that is a popular shortcut from the normal congested areas in town, so it was busy and they were flying by. Not sure I will get use to that. One young girl slammed on the brakes behind me which definately caught my attention. Might have to get a mirror. Oh and I heard one dog behind me but I never gave it a chance to catch up. Fear might not be the right word in my case, maybe a slight bit of anxiety.
    2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2005 Cannondale CAAD7 R700
    2004 Ironhorse Sage
    1992 Botteccia ADR replica

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...dGt/weight.png

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you all when you say you refuse to "fear" but might be "concerned" or simply think about safety. I agree. But many years ago when I first got out of the military, my first civilian job was in the line department of a large electric utility (power) company. I participated in their mandatory safety campaigns, and became a "safety officer". I believe they referred to "safety" as being fear, properly channeled. For example, the mindset on that job was constantly, "What can possibly go wrong if I do this..." and then adjusting. (You make a mistake around thousands of volts at incredible amperage, and you disappear in a flash of light and puff of smoke)

That's how I meant to use the "Fear" word. Something that goes through our heads, that causes us be safe. Expecting Murphy's Law, and preparing for it...
    Last edited by xizangstan; 10-29-10 at 08:21 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast